[net.consumers] Cat Food

jbs@hropus.UUCP (JBS) (03/11/86)

 I and my wife recently purchased a siamese kitten.
After talking to the breeder, we  were advised that MOST supermarket cat
foods especially  the dry cat foods have an unacceptable amount of ash
in them. We were told that a diet of foods with a high  ash content  could
lead to serious kidney problems for the cat. The breeder stated that an
acceptable level of ash is Less than 3 Percent. She also mentioned that, if
they don't list it in the cat food's breakdown of contents, it most likey
 has a very high ash content.
In other words they aren't going to flaunt something bad.

Our questions are:

1) First of all, Does the breeder have a valid point? IS >3% too much ash?

2) How does the ash content effect the kidneys?

3) Has anyone found cat foods in the moist, dried or canned form that has
less than 3% ash in it? If so please pass on the name.

My mailing address is:

				ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jbs

If this is a valid point,(I hope to find out) , I'll post a summary in
net.pets.

			Thanks in advance,

			John Skiendziel

schwrtze@acf8.UUCP (E. Schwartz group) (03/14/86)

Too high an ash content can be a problem.  This is especially true for male
cats as the ash accumulates in the kidneys and can produce kidney stones which
can then clog their urethra.  I had a male that developed this problem, with the
Vet blaiming cheap cat food.  Now, i have a female who i only feed Purina Cat
Chow (a dry food) & have not had any problem.  Though i am not sure about the
seriousness of the problem for females, with a male, i would probably use a
50/50 (temporal) mix of dry & wet foods.  Do not get sucker'd into expensive,
fancy food that the breeder might sell.  There are plenty of commercial
alternatives to be had simply by checking the labels.  Sorry, i do not remember
the actual % cutoffs.

		Keith Loris
		keith@alaya.arpa

jrc@ritcv.UUCP (James R. Carbin) (03/15/86)

In article <343@hropus.UUCP> jbs@hropus.UUCP (JBS) writes:

>After talking to the breeder, we  were advised that MOST supermarket cat
>foods especially  the dry cat foods have an unacceptable amount of ash
>in them. We were told that a diet of foods with a high  ash content  could
>lead to serious kidney problems for the cat. The breeder stated that an
>acceptable level of ash is Less than 3 Percent.

>3) Has anyone found cat foods in the moist, dried or canned form that has
>less than 3% ash in it? If so please pass on the name.

Well not quite, but Dad's Gourmet Blend guarantees an ash content not greater
than 5.0%  Dad's is manufactured by Dad's Dog Foods, Inc. of Meadville, Pa.
(No, Gourmet Blend is NOT dog food but dry CAT food.)

j.r.

In article <343@hropus.UUCP>, jbs@hropus.UUCP (JBS) writes:
> I and my wife recently purchased a siamese kitten.
> After talking to the breeder, we  were advised that MOST supermarket cat
> foods especially  the dry cat foods have an unacceptable amount of ash
> in them. We were told that a diet of foods with a high  ash content  could
> lead to serious kidney problems for the cat. The breeder stated that an
> acceptable level of ash is Less than 3 Percent. She also mentioned that, if
> they don't list it in the cat food's breakdown of contents, it most likey
> has a very high ash content.
>
> 1) First of all, Does the breeder have a valid point? IS >3% too much ash?

	Greater than 3% ash content is too much ash content for a CAT.  This
is a VERY important critereon for selecting cat food.

> 2) How does the ash content effect the kidneys?

	Cats, especially those which are neutered, have a proclivity for
developing urolithiasis (bladder stones).  While there is similarity between
urolithiasis in cats and in man, cats often form a unique type of urolith
called a "spruvite".  While the mechanisms of spruvite urolith formation in
cats are complex and not fully understood, it is believed by most veterinary
authorities that high ash content in cat food is a primary factor.  Indoor
cats are generally not great drinkers of water, resulting in concentrated
urinary output which further favors urolith formation.
	While both sexes of cats develop uroliths, the situation is FAR more
serious in the MALE CAT.  The female cat has a short, relatively straight
urethra which allows uroliths to easily pass.  However, the male has a rather
long, convoluted urethra which tends to collect small spruvite particles, and
which will often plug up solid.  This is a life-threatening situation requiring
emergency veterinary treatment!

> 3) Has anyone found cat foods in the moist, dried or canned form that has
> less than 3% ash in it? If so please pass on the name.

	We presently have eight cats, and have had good luck with "Iams"
dry cat food, which has < 3% ash content, and have not experienced any
further episodes of urolithiasis in our neutered male cats in the three
years following the exclusive use of Iams.  Please bear in mind that the
absence of urolithiasis may be coincidental or the result of other factors
(e.g., we are careful to always keep their water dish filled so that the
cats will drink as much water as possible), and I AM NOT CLAIMING "Iams" CAT
FOOD BY ITSELF WILL PREVENT UROLITHIASIS.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (03/20/86)

In article <9450@ritcv.UUCP> jrc@ritcv.UUCP (James R. Carbin) writes:
>In article <343@hropus.UUCP> jbs@hropus.UUCP (JBS) writes:
>>
>>After talking to the breeder, we  were advised that MOST supermarket cat
>>foods especially  the dry cat foods have an unacceptable amount of ash
>>in them. We were told that a diet of foods with a high  ash content  could
>>lead to serious kidney problems for the cat. The breeder stated that an
>>acceptable level of ash is Less than 3 Percent.
>
>>3) Has anyone found cat foods in the moist, dried or canned form that has
>>less than 3% ash in it? If so please pass on the name.

According to the numbers on the can, Friskies Buffet cat food is generally
around 3 % ash ... it varies between different flavors.

                                        andy

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with whoever it is that makes Friskies...
        (I'm not sure about my cat, though)