[net.consumers] Home Testing Institue

bradshaw@bucsb.UUCP (Robert Bradshaw) (03/18/86)

Has anybody every heard of the Home Testing Institute? They claim to be
a market research company, and they have sent me a rather lengthy
questionaire and want me to keep a diary of my credit card usage for
the next year.  Now I have nothing against a little market research,
(why, I was even a Nielson family once...) but this seemed a little
suspicious to me, although they don't actually ask for CC numbers.
It seems that they could put together some very elaborate mailing lists
if they know a person's buying habits, etc.  So what do you think,
are they legitimate?

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (03/19/86)

> Has anybody every heard of the Home Testing Institute? They claim to be
> a market research company, and they have sent me a rather lengthy
> questionaire and want me to keep a diary of my credit card usage for
> the next year.

What's in it for you?  That is, what are they offering to do for you
in exchange for this information?  If the answer is "not much," why
bother?

marcos@sdchem.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) (03/21/86)

In article <188@bucsb.UUCP>, bradshaw@bucsb.UUCP (Robert Bradshaw) writes:
> Has anybody every heard of the Home Testing Institute? They claim to be
> a market research company, and they have sent me a rather lengthy
> questionaire and want me to keep a diary of my credit card usage for
> the next year.  Now I have nothing against a little market research,
> (why, I was even a Nielson family once...) but this seemed a little
        ^ ^^^ ^^^^ ^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^
> suspicious to me, although they don't actually ask for CC numbers.
> It seems that they could put together some very elaborate mailing lists
> if they know a person's buying habits, etc.  So what do you think,
> are they legitimate?

Yes, the Home Testing Institute is a legitimate company. I don't recall
the particulars now, but my family participated in one of their studies
some years back. Now, whether it's worth your while to participate
is another question entirely. It seems to me that they give you some
cheapo "gifts" in return for your extensive efforts. So...

What I find much more amazing is your claim to have once been a Nielson
family. How could one person be a whole family? :-) And more importantly,
are you the one I can blame for keeping "Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island"
on T.V.? Perhaps, since you're the first person I've ever come across
who's even *known* anyone who was a Nielson family. What power!!!!

					  David ("Dr. DAP") Pearlman

"That that is is"