[net.consumers] look out for discounted stamps

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (03/11/86)

[ seen on local TV-news today ]

some outfit made an agreement with the US-post office to sell 22-cents
stamps stuck on some advertising sticker, costing about
20+% less than face value (i.e. a book of 20 'stamps' costs $3.xx)

what you get is a sticker several times the size of the stamp which is an
advertisement for detergent or some-such, with a 22-cents stamp glued on
somewhere.  You stick it on your letter where it seemed to take up the
complete right third of a regular sized envelope.

Marketing seems to be done through one of those companies selling all those
cards for 'special occasions' (M&M??? - I can't recall, sorry), available
*NOW* !!!!

	tacky?  a bargain?  a bit of both, it seems to me ...  ---Werner

paulb@ttidcc.UUCP (Paul Blumstein) (03/13/86)

In article <3048@ut-ngp.UUCP> werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>some outfit made an agreement with the US-post office to sell 22-cents
>stamps stuck on some advertising sticker, costing about
>20+% less than face value (i.e. a book of 20 'stamps' costs $3.xx)

From what I understand, they sell the stamps in books of 10 for $1.70.
They have no agreement with the P.O.  A PO spokesperson said that they
don't care as long as the company pays full price for the stamp.

Most of my outgoing mail goes for bills.  I don't really care if that
mail looks tacky or not.  5 cents per bill adds up.  More formal mail
will have the standard stamps.
--
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Paul Blumstein                  |

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (03/16/86)

>> some outfit made an agreement with the US-post office to sell 22-cents
>> stamps stuck on some advertising sticker, costing about
>> 20+% less than face value (i.e. a book of 20 'stamps' costs $3.xx)
>>
> From what I understand, they sell the stamps in books of 10 for $1.70.
> They have no agreement with the P.O.  A PO spokesperson said that they
> don't care as long as the company pays full price for the stamp.
>
> Most of my outgoing mail goes for bills.  I don't really care if that
> mail looks tacky or not.  5 cents per bill adds up.  More formal mail
> will have the standard stamps.

If you don't want your mail to look tacky, why not just cut the stamp
out of the advertising stuff? You might have to do that anyway if the ad
covers part of the address on pre-printed bill envelopes. Where can these
stamps be obtained?

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"I'm sorry, sir. According to your identification you're not even born
 yet. Come back in 500 years."

silber@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Jeffrey Silber) (03/21/86)

()
The article I read on discounted stamps indicated that one of the first
customers will be 7-11 stores.

A million here, a million there ... they all add up.

Jeffrey A. Silber              silber@devvax.tn.cornell.edu
Business Manager               JAS@CORNELLD
Center for Theory & Simulation {decvax,ihnp4,cmcl2,vax135}!cornell!devvax!silber
   in Science & Engineering    265 Olin Hall
Cornell University             Ithaca, NY  14853