[net.consumers] Tylenol

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (03/06/86)

One letter to the editor in a paper here had a theory which
I find compelling if a bit paranoid (the best theories always
are!)

It seems pretty difficult to contaminate capsules, then make
the packaging look untampered with.  So the suspect may have
had some extra ability or resources.  The suggestion was that
another drug company may have done the tampering, in order
to damage Johnson and Johnson.

I don't like that thought.
--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

      Nirvana?  That's a place where the powers that be and
      their friends hang out.
                                       --Zonker Harris

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (03/12/86)

--
> One letter to the editor in a paper here had a theory which
> I find compelling if a bit paranoid (the best theories always
> are!)
>
> It seems pretty difficult to contaminate capsules, then make
> the packaging look untampered with.  So the suspect may have
> had some extra ability or resources.  The suggestion was that
> another drug company may have done the tampering, in order
> to damage Johnson and Johnson.

All the investigators, and J&J, seem to have ruled out (or are
carefully not mentioning) the possibility of employee sabotage.
The prevailing theory is that some person tampered with the
tamper-proof packaging at or near the stores since the tainted
bottles came from different lots.  As I understand it, though,
they're *all* made at the same factory (in Puerto Rico) where
it would be a lot easier for some paranoid malcontent to modify
the contents before they're sealed.  Why couldn't this have
happened?  The reported line is simply that it didn't, or it
was ruled out.  Anyone know why?
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (03/15/86)

> they're *all* made at the same factory (in Puerto Rico) where
> it would be a lot easier for some paranoid malcontent to modify
> the contents before they're sealed.  Why couldn't this have
> happened?  The reported line is simply that it didn't, or it
> was ruled out.  Anyone know why?

  Simple probability. Since they ARE all made at the same factory, the
odds on two bottles tainted at the factory  showing up a few blocks away from
each other, and so far nowhere else, are astronomical.

--Greg

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (03/16/86)

>> they're *all* made at the same factory (in Puerto Rico) where
>> it would be a lot easier for some paranoid malcontent to modify
>> the contents before they're sealed.  Why couldn't this have
>> happened?  The reported line is simply that it didn't, or it
>> was ruled out.  Anyone know why?
>
>  Simple probability. Since they ARE all made at the same factory, the
>odds on two bottles tainted at the factory  showing up a few blocks away from
>each other, and so far nowhere else, are astronomical.

I'm not sure I buy this reasoning. In other words they make two cartons of
bottles and route one to (say) North Carolina and the next one on the line
to Hawaii?

It would seem to me very probable that if someone tampered with
bottles from two different cartons in a row (say during a few minutes
no one was watching) they would both end up in the same area (if not
the same store.) Not a proof of anything, but I don't buy the opposite
judgement on the probabilities as proving anything either here. (of
course you probably need some facts to break this argument, but for
now it seems to me one guess is as good as the other, and I doubt
anyone is about to hand us any facts.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (03/17/86)

--
[I wrote]
> > they're *all* made at the same factory (in Puerto Rico) where
> > it would be a lot easier for some paranoid malcontent to modify
> > the contents before they're sealed.  Why couldn't this have
> > happened?  The reported line is simply that it didn't, or it
> > was ruled out.  Anyone know why?

>   Simple probability. Since they ARE all made at the same factory, the
> odds on two bottles tainted at the factory  showing up a few blocks
> away from each other, and so far nowhere else, are astronomical.
>
> --Greg

But is that really true?  Let's say the culprit tampers with five
bottles at the factory.  They're on the line, one right after the other.
Odds are, those 5 will stay together for a while, through a lot of
packing and distribution (assuming that the stuff is shipped in
fairly large lots).  If the tainted bunch is ever broken up, I'd
expect that to happen very late in the distribution.  And so finding
2 tainted bottles within a 1/2 mile of each other would not be so
improbable.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

olsen@ll-xn.ARPA (Jim Olsen) (03/17/86)

In article <270@bu-cs.UUCP>, bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:
> It would seem to me very probable that if someone tampered with
> bottles from two different cartons in a row (say during a few minutes
> no one was watching) they would both end up in the same area...

If I remember correctly, the two bottles were produced at different
times, and passed through completely different distribution chains, yet
they ended up at stores within a few blocks of one another.  This is
what makes tampering at the factory seem unlikely.
--
Jim Olsen   ARPA:olsen@ll-xn   UUCP:{decvax,lll-crg,seismo}!ll-xn!olsen

adp@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tony Parkhurst) (03/17/86)

In article <270@bu-cs.UUCP> bzs@bu-cs.UUCP writes:

>>> they're *all* made at the same factory (in Puerto Rico) where
>>> it would be a lot easier for some paranoid malcontent to modify
>>> the contents before they're sealed.  Why couldn't this have
>>> happened?  The reported line is simply that it didn't, or it
>>> was ruled out.  Anyone know why?
>>
>>  Simple probability. Since they ARE all made at the same factory, the
>>odds on two bottles tainted at the factory  showing up a few blocks away from
>>each other, and so far nowhere else, are astronomical.
>
>I'm not sure I buy this reasoning. In other words they make two cartons of
>bottles and route one to (say) North Carolina and the next one on the line
>to Hawaii?
>
>It would seem to me very probable that if someone tampered with
>bottles from two different cartons in a row (say during a few minutes
>no one was watching) they would both end up in the same area (if not
>the same store.) Not a proof of anything, but I don't buy the opposite
>judgement on the probabilities as proving anything either here. (of
>course you probably need some facts to break this argument, but for
>now it seems to me one guess is as good as the other, and I doubt
>anyone is about to hand us any facts.)

The impression I have is that the two different stores in question are supplied
by two  *DIFFERENT* warehouses.  This would give credence to the probabilities
argument.

			Sparky

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (03/18/86)

In article <1368@ihuxn.UUCP> gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:

>All the investigators, and J&J, seem to have ruled out (or are
>carefully not mentioning) the possibility of employee sabotage.
>The prevailing theory is that some person tampered with the
>tamper-proof packaging at or near the stores since the tainted
>bottles came from different lots.  As I understand it, though,
>they're *all* made at the same factory (in Puerto Rico) where
>it would be a lot easier for some paranoid malcontent to modify
>the contents before they're sealed.  Why couldn't this have
>happened?  The reported line is simply that it didn't, or it
>was ruled out.  Anyone know why?
>--
>ken perlow       *****   *****

	Because the capsules were *not* manufactured at the same place.
This is one of the most elementary things for investigators to look
at, and you can bet that the wouldn't overlook a situation where
all the tainted pills came from the same place. The distribution
channels for the pills apparantly were so different as to imply
that they were tampered with at the store level. Now, if we would
just move over-the-counter drug packages behind the counter so that
nobody could walk in and place a contaminated package back on the
shelf, perhaps the problem wouldn't be so bad.

--
					--MKR

The first half of a project takes 90% of the time. The other half takes
the other 90%.

tainter@ihlpg.UUCP (Tainter) (03/18/86)

>>  Simple probability. Since they ARE all made at the same factory, the
>>odds on two bottles tainted at the factory  showing up a few blocks away from
>>each other, and so far nowhere else, are astronomical.
> I'm not sure I buy this reasoning. In other words they make two cartons of
> bottles and route one to (say) North Carolina and the next one on the line
> to Hawaii?
> It would seem to me very probable that if someone tampered with
> bottles from two different cartons in a row (say during a few minutes
> no one was watching) they would both end up in the same area (if not
> the same store.) Not a proof of anything, but I don't buy the opposite
> judgement on the probabilities as proving anything either here. (of
> course you probably need some facts to break this argument, but for
> now it seems to me one guess is as good as the other, and I doubt
> anyone is about to hand us any facts.)
> 	-Barry Shein, Boston University
You haven't considered the whole scenario:

Only five tainted bottles are made at the plant (Either together or maybe in
    two smaller sets, so that they end up cased together).
One case iwth tainted bottles is shipped to one major chain distributor,
    another to another major chain distributor.
Each distributor sends it's case to any store anywhere in the United States
    probably through three or four levels of distribution.
In this process both cases and all five bottles end up in two stores less
    than a mile apart.

    This is where probability kicks in and pipes up, "SAY WHAT??".
--j.a.tainter
Time is an addition, we can't live without.

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/19/86)

In article <1377@ihuxn.UUCP>, gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP writes:
> But is that really true?  Let's say the culprit tampers with five
> bottles at the factory.  They're on the line, one right after the other.
> Odds are, those 5 will stay together for a while, through a lot of
> packing and distribution (assuming that the stuff is shipped in
> fairly large lots).  If the tainted bunch is ever broken up, I'd
> expect that to happen very late in the distribution.  And so finding
> 2 tainted bottles within a 1/2 mile of each other would not be so
> improbable.

   Mr. Perlow, you have consistently failed to make note of the simple fact
that the contaminated capsules were *NOT* from the same lot #s.  By definition
this implies that they could not have come down the line "one right after
the other".  Kindly stick to the facts when making wild and unfounded speculations
about things you obviously do not understand.

--

====================================

Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

moroney@jon.DEC (Mike Moroney) (03/19/86)

>[I wrote]
>> > they're *all* made at the same factory (in Puerto Rico) where
>> > it would be a lot easier for some paranoid malcontent to modify
>> > the contents before they're sealed.  Why couldn't this have
>> > happened?  The reported line is simply that it didn't, or it
>> > was ruled out.  Anyone know why?

>>   Simple probability. Since they ARE all made at the same factory, the
>> odds on two bottles tainted at the factory  showing up a few blocks
>> away from each other, and so far nowhere else, are astronomical.
>>
>> --Greg

>But is that really true?  Let's say the culprit tampers with five
>bottles at the factory.  They're on the line, one right after the other.
>Odds are, those 5 will stay together for a while, through a lot of
>packing and distribution (assuming that the stuff is shipped in
>fairly large lots).  If the tainted bunch is ever broken up, I'd
>expect that to happen very late in the distribution.  And so finding
>2 tainted bottles within a 1/2 mile of each other would not be so
>improbable.

Ummm... The tampered bottles came from entirely different runs - they were
NOT one after another on the line.  It's still possible, though, but would
require a malcontent to poison exactly one bottle, wait a while, possibly
go to an entirely different machine, poison a second bottle, and then somehow
those 2 bottles have to beat the long odds and wind up a few blocks apart.

-Mike Moroney
..decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-jon!moroney

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (03/20/86)

I've been hoping someone would give a more definite reference on this, but...

I remember seeing a newspaper article, maybe 2 weeks ago, to the effect
that although the "tamper-proof" seals on the poisoned bottles had
appeared intact, sophisticated testing had shown that the seals had
in fact been broken.

Of course, this doesn't prove that the poisoning was done outside J&J, but
taken together with the distribution-chain evidence, it seems conclusive
to me.  If it's true.

Mark Brader

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (03/22/86)

In article <1377@ihuxn.UUCP> gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>> > they're *all* made at the same factory (in Puerto Rico) where
>> > it would be a lot easier for some paranoid malcontent to modify
>> > the contents before they're sealed.  Why couldn't this have
>> > happened?  The reported line is simply that it didn't, or it
>> > was ruled out.  Anyone know why?
>
>>   Simple probability. Since they ARE all made at the same factory, the
>> odds on two bottles tainted at the factory  showing up a few blocks
>> away from each other, and so far nowhere else, are astronomical.
>>
>But is that really true?  Let's say the culprit tampers with five
>bottles at the factory.  They're on the line, one right after the other.
>Odds are, those 5 will stay together for a while, through a lot of
>packing and distribution (assuming that the stuff is shipped in
>fairly large lots).  If the tainted bunch is ever broken up, I'd
>expect that to happen very late in the distribution.  And so finding
>2 tainted bottles within a 1/2 mile of each other would not be so
>improbable.

If the culprit tampers with five bottles, one right after the other, they
would probably end up in the same area, and in the same lot.  When you
get contaminated bottles from *different* lots ending up in the same
place, it is much more likely that they got contaminated after they
left the factory.
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (03/23/86)

>...Now, if we would
>just move over-the-counter drug packages behind the counter so that
>nobody could walk in and place a contaminated package back on the
>shelf, perhaps the problem wouldn't be so bad.
>
>					--MKR

There you have it, now that's a consumer issue! Back in the dark ages
I remember going to my local pharmacist who (typically) had a store
with desk-height counters around 270 degrees of the store and shelves
only he could get at behind them. The center aisle(s) was reserved for
hot-water bottles etc. You told him what you wanted, he fetched it for
you. The intent was clearly to let you know that only he (or his employees)
could touch the medicines, and I'm sure it worked. (This was otc drugs
as well as, of course, prescription medications.)

In come the drug supermarkets crushing these small-business people in
their paths with their open racks and mega-aisles and disinterested
pimply employees. In come the tamperers, it should have been predictable
as that's why the original pharmacies were set up that way! So, we
pay with our lives to maximize profits and mass-marketing techniques,
ah progress.

Does anyone remember GROCERIES who also would be set-up so only the proprietor
could get at most of the food? (hey, I'm only 33 and grew up in NYC, this
sort of business must still exist in some places far from the burger king.)

Would the govt DARE to make a law that says all otc drugs and similar products
must be shelved such that only employees can touch them (behind counters,
locked cabinets, whatever?) Nah, Federated Stores and Rite-aid would be down
their throats with their lobbyists.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University