[net.consumers] MCI "eh?" MCI "Beg Pardon?" MCI "SPEAK UP!"

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (03/25/86)

[RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIINNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIINNGGGGGGGGGGGG]

	A funny thing happened to me last Friday. As I got home from
work my phone was ringing, and being the responsible, mature adult
that I am, I answered it.

	First I heard some awful static and then a weak voice saying,
"Mr. Ross? Mr. Ross?".

	"Yes, I am," sez I, fairly loudly because it was
a very noisy, low-quality long-distance line.

	I could make out the voice over the line noise: "Mr. Ross,
this is Wilma Whipsnade (not her real name) of MCI. Did you recently
get your ballot for selecting a long distance phone company?"

	"Yes, I did," sez I, not wishing to lie.

	"Pardon me?" said Wilma.

	"Yes, I did," I said, a little louder so she could hear me.

	"Did you choose MCI?"

	"No, I didn't."

	"Would you bu ntemrstd m savnng mxplthh frzbckt?" said the voice.

	"I beg your pardon?"

	"Would you be interested in saving 30 to 50 percent on each long
distance call you make?" she said, a little louder. I couldn't hear her
very well, but I was beginning to smell something.

	"No," sez I (well, I *would* be interested in saving the money, so
technically speaking, I suppose I lied, but I could see what was coming) "I
*like* to spend money, but thanks anyway," I said, then I hung up.

--
					--MKR

"There are very many thoughts which have value for him who thinks them, but
 only a few of them possess the power of engaging the interest of a reader
 after they have been written down."   -Schopenhauer

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (03/28/86)

In article <658@mmm.UUCP> mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) writes:
>	"Did you choose MCI?"
>
>	"No, I didn't."
>
>	"Would you bu ntemrstd m savnng mxplthh frzbckt?" said the voice.
>
>	"I beg your pardon?"
>
>	"Would you be interested in saving 30 to 50 percent on each long
>distance call you make?" she said, a little louder. I couldn't hear her
>very well, but I was beginning to smell something.

What she didn't tell you is that she is really working for AT&T.
--
 "It's time to raise gasoline taxes."

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com