[net.consumers] Sodium Tallowate in Soap

In article <1631@vax3.fluke.UUCP>, dms@fluke.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:
> >Someone a while back on the net said that most major
> >soap manufacturers use sodium tallowate as one of
> >their ingredients. Well, I checked around and sure
> >enough that turned out to be true much to my
> >surprise.

	I don't mean to nitpick, but ``tallow'' is not a specific chemical
substance (there are MANY kinds of tallow), and ``sodium tallowate'' is
NOT a legitimate chemical name.  Tallow will typically yield at least three
fatty acids: stearic acid, palmitic acid, and oleic acid.

> In broadest terms, a soap is simply a salt of a fatty acid.
> I suppose one could make soap using vegetable fat, but I've never heard
> of it.  I'd be willing to bet Ivory is made from tallow.

	There are several fatty acids presently used in soap manufacture
which can be derived from solely vegetable material:
	lauric acid		coconut oil, laurel oil
	myristic acid		coconut oil
	palmitic acid		palm oil
	capric acid		coconut oil
	arachidic acid		peanut oil

> of it.  I'd be willing to bet Ivory is made from tallow.  The main thing
> that makes commercial soap more mild than homemade (granny's lye soap)
> is that they do a better job of getting the lye to completely react
> with the fat.  The more free alkalai is the better the soap cleans and
> the more of your skin it dissolves in the process.

	The actual composition of soaps (especially for consumer use) is
generally held by the manufacturer as a trade secret.  While a manufacturer
may extoll the virtues of a particular ingredient, the true composition is
not publicly revealed.  The composition of consumer soaps is especially
complex; it is also difficult and sometimes impossible to obtain an accurate
chemical analysis of such a soap, if given a sample.
	It is not unusual for a more "complex" soap such as a "cosmetic"
soap to contain ALL of the following:

(1)	sodium hydroxide 		(alkalai)
(2)	potassium hydroxide		(alkalai)
(3)	triethanolamine			(alkanolamine - organic base)
(4)	ammonium hydroxide		(base)
(5)	palmitic acid			(fatty acid)
(6)	oleic acid			(fatty acid)
(7)	liquid petrolatum		(petroleum oil)
(8)	lanolin				(cholesterol esters)
(9)	Triton X-100 *			(surfactant)
(10)	Triton CF-10 *			(surfactant)
(11)	sorbitol			(stabilizer)
(12)	carboxymethylcellulose		(emulsifying agent, stabilizer)
(13)	perfume
(14)	coloring agent
(15)	water
	* Triton is a registered trade name of Rohm & Haas

	The above is very close to the composition of some actual soaps.
I speak with a bit of firsthand knowledge, since my late father managed
various soap manufacturing plants for over 30 years, and I grew up with
this stuff.
	For anyone seriously interested in the formulations of soaps, I
would suggest obtaining literature from such companies as Rohm & Haas,
Union Carbide, Dow Chemical, etc. who manufacture surfactants, alkanolamines,
and other chemical products used in soap.  Freely available application
literature provides some methodology behind soap formulation.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
==>  VOICE   716/688-1231                {rice|shell}!baylor!/
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}        seismo!/
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"             ihnp4!/