[net.consumers] NutraSweet Inquiry.

jeanette@randvax.UUCP (Jeanette Haritan) (04/21/86)

In article <110@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> randy@cbmvax.UUCP (Randy Weiner) writes:
>In article <165@sally.UUCP> miller@loral.UUCP (BIG DAVE) writes:
>>...My wife is 4 months pregnant, and likes to consume soft drinks that
>> contain this sweetner...
>
>  My wife and I are the proud parents of a healthy 9 month old.
>Our feeling was, in view of the lack of evidence in either direction,
>why take any chances?? It was no big deal to give up diet soft
>drinks for the term of the pregnancy.

I agree.  If you drink soft drinks containing nutra sweet, it will be
in the back of your mind that you MAY be harming the unborn baby.  I
drank lots of sodas during my last pregnancy (1985).  It wasn't until the
eighth month that a friend told me of a news program she watched about
the evils of nutra sweet pertaining to an unborn child.  I spent the
last two months worrying.  The baby is perfect, but, why take the chance
if you know it MIGHT do harm.

Also, most doctors will advise a pregnant woman not to drink sodas period.
They contain a certain amount of salt, which can add bloatiness and
discomfort (among other things?)

Jeannette
--

dms@ihlpg.UUCP (Spang) (04/21/86)

> In article <165@sally.UUCP> miller@loral.UUCP (BIG DAVE) writes:
> >Does anyone know of any study done on the consumption of the artificial sweetner
> >NutraSweet during pregnamcy ?. I heard some rumors to the effect that it was
> >found to be linked to birth deffects.

When I was last pregnant the story I got relates the ingredient in
Asparatame, phenylkeurotinics or something, to PKU syndrome. PKU
relates to the inability to deal wiht phenylwhatever in your system.
One of the first tests of a newborn is the PKU in the heel. I would
assume that a fetus would have the same sensitivity that it would a day
after birth thus the birth defect possibility.

				Debra Spang