[net.consumers] The Truth about NutraSweet During Pregnancy

tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) (04/22/86)

Since we discuss this in my Bradley classes I thought I'd let the net know.

Pregnant women should not use NutraSweet.  NutraSweet has phenalamine in it
and studies are showing the too much causes brain damage.  The PKU test
that every newborn receives after birth is to test for phenalamine - if a
baby has too much of this in its system, its means they cannot assimilate
milk protein (can't break it down) and must be put on a special formula
to prevent problems.

It is also recommended that children under 1 year of age NOT receive
Nutrasweet to prevent any brain damage while the child is growing.

Barbara Charles
Bradley Instructor

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (04/24/86)

I've seen a lot of claims about aspartame, but none citing any reports
or studies.  On what are you basing your information?

Sean
Sean Casey                UUCP:  cbosgd!ukma!sean        CSNET:  sean@uky.csnet
University of Kentucky    ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa
Lexington, Kentucky     BITNET:  sean@ukma.bitnet

mer@uvacs.UUCP (Marc Rouleau) (04/29/86)

In article <803@gamma.UUCP> tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) writes:

>Pregnant women should not use NutraSweet.  NutraSweet has phenalamine in it
>and studies are showing the too much causes brain damage.  The PKU test
>that every newborn receives after birth is to test for phenalamine - if a
>baby has too much of this in its system, its means they cannot assimilate
>milk protein (can't break it down) and must be put on a special formula
>to prevent problems.
>
>It is also recommended that children under 1 year of age NOT receive
>Nutrasweet to prevent any brain damage while the child is growing.

Why (presumably) is NutraSweet safe for adults?  How much is too much
for adults?

--
Marc Rouleau			CSNET:  mer@virginia
UVa Dept. of Computer Science    UUCP:  ...!decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!mer