[net.consumers] NutraSweet

jjs@cbdkc1.UUCP (Jeff Sager) (05/02/86)

>In article <803@gamma.UUCP> tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) writes:
> >
> >Pregnant women should not use NutraSweet.  NutraSweet has phenalamine in it
> >  [More interesting facts about aspartame and kids]
> >It is also recommended that children under 1 year of age NOT receive
> >Nutrasweet to prevent any brain damage while the child is growing.
> >

>Why (presumably) is NutraSweet safe for adults?  How much is too much
>for adults?

It is ludicrous to try to draw that parallel between infants and adults.
Infants can not digest many of the foods that adults eat every day because
their systems are under-developed and they are growing at incredible rates!
For instance:
Infants should not consume honey because there are botulism spores in
quantities that are only toxic to their small systems.
Children under 1 year should not consume wheat or egg-yolks because proteins
there-in may make them more susceptible to allergies.
Hundreds of children can't digest milk until they are nine months or older
and are therefore fed soy derivatives (e.g. Isomil).

Does this mean that all adults should avoid honey, wheat, egg-yolks, and milk?
There are many, many dietary differences for adults and children.  There
are many dietary differences between adults.  Don't try to condemn aspartame
for everyone because it may be bad for some.

[Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the thing about honey, the FDA will
probably outlaw it's production now and all those bees will be out of
work :-)]

Jeff Sager  cbdkc1!jjs