[net.consumers] Roach Haters Unite

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (05/15/86)

In article <314@parcvax.Xerox.COM> bane@parcvax.UUCP writes:

>I used Roach Prufe (Boric acid, sugar, anti-caking stuff), and it
>worked wonders!  ...
>
>Roach Prufe is relatively expensive ($10/can, good for a whole house
>or so, though), and you can make your own (I don't know the
>proportions, but the major ingredient is boric acid).  ...

The couple next door made some by mixing sugar with boric acid powder. Trouble
was the roaches disapeared but sugar ants completely took over their home
for 2 days.  The ants evidently just plucked the sugar granules and happily
carried them off leaving the powder.

Maybe powdered sugar instead of sugar granules would have worked?

  -- Dave Trissel  {ihnp4,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!im4u!oakhill!davet

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (05/16/86)

> >Roach Prufe is relatively expensive ($10/can, good for a whole house
> >or so, though), and you can make your own (I don't know the
> >proportions, but the major ingredient is boric acid).  ...
>
> The couple next door made some by mixing sugar with boric acid powder. Trouble
> was the roaches disapeared but sugar ants completely took over their home
> for 2 days.  The ants evidently just plucked the sugar granules and happily
> carried them off leaving the powder.

	I've always used plain boric acid (or boric acid half-and-half
with borax) with no added "bait" and it's been very effective. (Until it
eventually clumps up and hardens because of the humidity - it needs to
stay powdery to work). A pound of boric acid costs $3.67 at my local
discount pharmacy.
--
jcpatilla
..{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!aplcen!osiris!jcp

"There is no way to peace; peace is the way."

gwr@cord.UUCP (GW Ryan) (05/18/86)

In article <797@osiris.UUCP> jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) writes:
	[ ... roach killing ... ]
We had a lot of success mixing flour, granulated sugar, boric acid, and water.
Mix to a doughy consistancy, and roll into little balls. Leave 'em around the
baseboards and in the closets. They never failed us!

They seem to lose their potency after a month or so, so then you can just pick
'em up and throw 'em away.

jerry ryan
cord!gwr