[net.consumers] taka-diastase; rusts

colonel@ellie.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (05/15/86)

> 	I doubt it.  Malaria is caused by a protozoa (Plasmodium vivax).  I
> can't imagine protozoa producing taka-diastase; even if they did, I can't
> imagine commercial production from protozoa when taka-diastase can be so
> easily produced from Aspergillus fungus growing on wheat bran or rice.

The name "plasmodium" sounds familiar.  Maybe it's a different species
within the genus?  Come to think of it, "plasmodium" was on that list
of words that Pillsbury memorized.  That can't be a coincidence.

By the way, are there any experts on plant rusts here on the Net?  There's
an obscure disease I'm trying to track down...!

	"It is customary for each family to engage in a little agriculture
	 in the closet and grow mushrooms, the _fungus impudicus_ that
	 springs up in the night like the phallus.  Women devote them-
	 selves to the home-manufacture of a kind of spaghetti or noodles,
	 and from all the windows in the residential neighborhoods can be
	 seen, hanging from poles and drying in the sun, such fringes of
	 spaghetti or noodles.  Wood fires are lit from sticks of furni-
	 ture going out of fashion, and meals are prepared of noodles or
	 spaghetti with mushroom sauce."
			--Paul Goodman and Percival Goodman, _Communitas_
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

In article <1076@ellie.UUCP> colonel@ellie.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
>>      I doubt it.  Malaria is caused by a protozoa (Plasmodium vivax).  I
>> can't imagine protozoa producing taka-diastase;
>
>The name "plasmodium" sounds familiar.  Maybe it's a different species
>within the genus?  Come to think of it, "plasmodium" was on that list
>of words that Pillsbury memorized.  That can't be a coincidence.

        Actually, it *could* be. The word "plasmodium" has two
different uses in biology. First it is the name of a large genus of
parasitic protozoa(including P. vivax). It is *also* a word used to
refer to the "body" of certain fungi, such as slime molds. Without
more data we cannot tell which way it was being used in the ad.
--

                                Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ??