[net.consumers] Spiders Haters Unite

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (04/21/86)

In article <310@gvax.cs.cornell.edu> martin@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Susan Martin) writes:

>SPIDERS!  Now that the warm weather is back (sort of), I notice these nasty
>creatures making themselves known again.  The little ones aren't so bad, but
>there are also big, hairy looking things that really gross me out (pardon my
>English).
>
>I remove all spider webs during cleaning.  I don't know what else to do.
>
>I would appreciate any help you can give, I just can't get used to them.
>They really bug me!
>
>Susan Annette Martin

At least the domestic spiders are 1) afraid of you, and 2) on the defensive.
Ever notice how disconcerting it is to be climbing somewhere halfway up a
rock face, trying to stick your hands into cracks just to hang on, when a horde
of the little bastards goes scurrying across your path inches from your nose?

I thought so.

-dave

--
David Hsu  (301)454-1433 || -8798  <insert fashionable disclaimer here>
Communication & Signal Processing Lab / Engineering Computer Facility

"There is somewhat too much of this `yodeling' in the Alps." -Mark Twain

curry@nsc.UUCP (04/21/86)

One way to handle spiders is to learn to like them.  Very few are harmful
to people, they eat a tremendous amount of things that are harmful to
people, and as for hair, nobody seems to complain about Afgan hounds or
collies. :-)

faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (04/21/86)

In article <7216@tekecs.UUCP> monam@tekecs.UUCP (Mona McLaughlin) writes:
>> SPIDERS!

I agree, yuk!

One solution that my wife and I found was crickets. If you can
put up with the occasional chirping, get a couple of crickets and
let them loose in your house (or more, depending on the size of
your house). Crickets eat bugs (e.g., spiders, silverfish, etc.).
I have been told that if you do not like the noise, praying
mantises also work.

The only problem is if you are an avid bug hater (like myself),
going to the john and seeing a cricket (read "BUG") staring you
in the face.

P.S.: I have been told that it is bad luck to kill a cricket.

Daniel
--
UUCP: {akgua allegra ihnp4 hplabs sdcsvax trwrb cbosgd}!sdcrdcf!faigin
ARPA: sdcrdcf!faigin@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA --or-- sdcrdcf!faigin@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

W: SDC, 2525 Colorado MD 91-01; Santa Monica CA 90406; (213) 820-4111 x6393
H: 8333 Columbus Avenue #17; Sepulveda CA 91343; (818) 892-8555
   *** NOTE NEW HOME ADDRESS ABOVE ***

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (04/21/86)

In article <140@mcc-hi.UUCP> shook@mcc-hi.UUCP writes:
> Have you ever heard of "Osage oranges" or "hedge apples" - a fruit-like
> seed that can be found along country roads in the fall, I think. They're
> usually yellow, yellow-green, or green and naturally repel spiders. Simply
> place a couple of these near access points - windows, cracks, doors, etc.
> and no new spiders should get in.

While I have no idea whether Osage oranges really work, the original poster
can find them on the Cornell campus.  There's a tree on Tower Road by the
entrance to the path to the parking lot behind A. D. White's house.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

holloway@drivax.UUCP (04/21/86)

In article <3525@nsc.UUCP> curry@nsc.UUCP (Ray Curry) writes:
>One way to handle spiders is to learn to like them.  Very few are harmful
>to people, they eat a tremendous amount of things that are harmful to
>people, and as for hair, nobody seems to complain about Afgan hounds or
>collies. :-)

What's wrong with spiders? We have this one spider who keeps watch at our
front door, our "Guard Spider". Every so often we go on a spider purge, but
we always leave that one spider to pounce on prowlers, etc.

But then, people think I'm wierd anyway.

--
"IS HE DEAD?"         "well..... not any more."

....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
(I'm not THAT Bruce Holloway, I'm the other one.)

holloway@drivax.UUCP (04/22/86)

In article <2755@sdcrdcf.UUCP> faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel P Faigin) writes:
>In article <7216@tekecs.UUCP> monam@tekecs.UUCP (Mona McLaughlin) writes:
>>> SPIDERS!
>
>I agree, yuk!
>
>One solution that my wife and I found was crickets. If you can
>put up with the occasional chirping, get a couple of crickets and
>let them loose in your house (or more, depending on the size of
>your house). Crickets eat bugs (e.g., spiders, silverfish, etc.).
>I have been told that if you do not like the noise, praying
>mantises also work.

Yeah, I want one of them loud, noisy crickets around when I'm trying to
get to sleep. Evidently you've never lived with one -- living hell. Spiders
are non-intrusive, totally silent, efficient, and they stay in one place.
Praying mantises are nice bugs, but they move around, too (but never when
there's someone in the room.... leave the room, come back, and where'd they
go?) Problem is, they're seasonal bugs that die at the end of summer.

Oddly, they're also chameleons to a degree. In the summer, they are a light
green color, but come fall, they turn brown, before they die.

Interestingly, praying mantises eat crickets, so if you've already tried
the cricket method and want to try something different....

--

suem@ihlpf.UUCP (Sue McKinnell) (04/22/86)

> >> SPIDERS!
>
> I agree, yuk!
>
> One solution that my wife and I found was crickets. If you can
> put up with the occasional chirping, get a couple of crickets and
> let them loose in your house (or more, depending on the size of
> your house). Crickets eat bugs (e.g., spiders, silverfish, etc.).

Well, liking/disliking aside, it is far worse to have crickets inside
than spiders if you own your house.  Crickets also eat wood and can
be very destructive.  You do realize that spiders eat insects and
can be helpful at keeping your house clear of other unwanted 'bugs.'
I, personally, like spiders and try to ignore them since I appreciate
the fact that they eat other bugs.  I also like crickets, but I try
to keep them out of the house for the above reason.  BTW, the Japanese
consider it bad luck to kill a spider.
--

Sue McKinnell
...!ihnp4!ihopb!suem

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (04/23/86)

> One solution that my wife and I found was crickets. If you can
> put up with the occasional chirping, get a couple of crickets and
> let them loose in your house (or more, depending on the size of
> your house). Crickets eat bugs (e.g., spiders, silverfish, etc.).
> I have been told that if you do not like the noise, praying
> mantises also work.

	Crickets ALSO eat books, paper, your clothes, you name it. I
don't think you really want them in your house.

--
jcpatilla
..{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!aplcen!osiris!jcp

Show me a man with both feet firmly on the ground and I'll show you a
man who can't take his pants off.

buyno@voder.UUCP (04/23/86)

	My cats regularly eat spiders. Get cats.
	However, spiders are nothing but useful, as the do eat many bugs.
	I catch all that I can (a glass tumbler over them first, then slide
paper under the glass, and escort them out of doors or to the plant room.

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (04/23/86)

There was a similar posting regarding snails. Look in net.cooks for
recipes.

Seriously, my favorite killer is starting either from the local auto
stores. It kills bees, wasps, hornets, termites (after the local bug
man couldn't), etc. While you have to use care when applying it, unlike
many commercial sprays it leaves no poisons to affect kids, petc, etc.
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
       /                               \
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
       \                               /
        chinet! ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"

robertv@tekla.UUCP (Robert Vetter) (04/23/86)

In article <444@drivax.UUCP> holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:
>>I agree, yuk!
>>One solution that my wife and I found was crickets. ...
>> praying
>>mantises also work.

>Interestingly, praying mantises eat crickets, so if you've already tried
>the cricket method and want to try something different....

	And after your house is infested with praying mantises and
	crickets, you might want to try getting a few frogs.  They
	seem to eat most insects. ;-)

	(Where will it end ??? - cats ?? dogs ?? goats ??? old ladys ???)

Rob Vetter
(503) 629-1291
[ihnp4, ucbvax, decvax, uw-beaver]!tektronix!tekla!robertv

"Waste is a terrible thing to mind" - NRC
  (Well, they COULD have said it)

hav@dual.UUCP (04/23/86)

In article <444@drivax.UUCP>, holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:

>                                                                     Spiders
> are non-intrusive, totally silent, efficient, and they stay in one place.

Yeah?  They're certainly silent, and I'm *sure* they're efficient, but I'm not
so sure about non-intrusive.  Who's that biting me in the middle of the night,
then?  For some reason, they (whoever they are) seem to favor my lower legs
(from just below the knee to the ankle) and my back.  It's probably partly due
to sleeping in the buff and dangling any parts that overheat outside the
covers, but I can't be sure.  Even when it's cold and I sleep in a t-shirt, I
seem to get attacked.  I haven't seen any other little critters that might want
to feast on my vital bodily fluids, but living on the ground floor, there sure
are a *lot* of spiders.

> Interestingly, praying mantises eat crickets, so if you've already tried
> the cricket method and want to try something different....

Just another piece of the food chain in action.

     Helen Anne      {ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,decwrl,ucbvax,sun}!dual!hav

            /* This is a disclaimer.  I deny it all.  Period. */

 Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

ronc@fai.UUCP (04/24/86)

>	I catch all that I can (a glass tumbler over them first, then slide
>paper under the glass, and escort them out of doors or to the plant room.

***

Will spiders eat those little brown roaches?  If so, bring them
(the spiders) over to my apartment.  Lord knows, Raid isn't helping
anymore.  I think the little suckers are immune.

				Ron
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		seismo!amdahl!fai!ronc  -or-   ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."

kishore2@watdcsu.UUCP (K.Singhal - Systems Design) (04/25/86)

In article <1240@dual.UUCP> hav@dual.UUCP writes:
>In article <444@drivax.UUCP>, holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:
>>
>>                                                                     Spiders
>> are non-intrusive, totally silent, efficient, and they stay in one place.
>
>Yeah?  They're certainly silent, and I'm *sure* they're efficient, but I'm not
>so sure about non-intrusive.  Who's that biting me in the middle of the night,
>then?  For some reason, they (whoever they are) seem to favor my lower legs
>(from just below the knee to the ankle) and my back.  It's probably partly due
>to sleeping in the buff and dangling any parts that overheat outside the
>covers, but I can't be sure.  Even when it's cold and I sleep in a t-shirt, I
>seem to get attacked.  I haven't seen any other little critters that might want
>to feast on my vital bodily fluids, but living on the ground floor, there sure
>are a *lot* of spiders.

>     Helen Anne      {ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,decwrl,ucbvax,sun}!dual!hav
>
>            /* This is a disclaimer.  I deny it all.  Period. */
>
> Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Hmmmm... sounds more like fleas than spiders to me.  A can of Raid House and
Garden would probably take care of both I think.

Oh yea, a disclaimer, I am in no way connected to the good people who
make Raid.  Some of their tv commercials are amusing though.
--
Sherman Lang
Systems Design Engineering

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (04/25/86)

In article <430@ihlpf.UUCP> suem@ihlpf.UUCP writes:
>BTW, the Japanese consider it bad luck to kill a spider.

Reminds me of the Pogo quote: "It's bad luck to squoosh a spider.
Squoosh a spider and you gets rain"
--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

carl@ci-dandelion.UUCP (Carl A. Dunham) (04/28/86)

In article <3525@nsc.UUCP> curry@nsc.UUCP (Ray Curry) writes:
>One way to handle spiders is to learn to like them.  Very few are harmful
>to people, they eat a tremendous amount of things that are harmful to
>people, and as for hair, nobody seems to complain about Afgan hounds or
>collies. :-)

Here, here.  In the house I'm in now, we've let the spiders grow webs all
along the beam-level windows.  The webs look really pretty with the sun glinting
off of them, esecially during an especially spectacular sunset. Sometimes,
a bug will happen along into the web (kind of the point, I guess).  It's really
a 'get-close-to-nature' experience to see animal survival a-la spider.

But then my girlfriend isn't talking to me and my friends don't visit
anymore... :-)

Carl A. Dunham

UUCP: ...!mit-eddie!ci-dandelion!carl
BITNET: CARL@BROWNVM

holloway@drivax.UUCP (04/28/86)

In article <310@gvax.cs.cornell.edu> martin@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Susan Martin) writes:
>I remove all spider webs during cleaning.  I don't know what else to do.
>
>I would appreciate any help you can give, I just can't get used to them.
>They really bug me!

Spiders make great pets, and they're tasty, too.... BUT, if you want to rid
yourself of the little buggers -- round about mid-summer spiders build nests
and lay their egg sacs all over -- in hidden places, outside near house
foundations, etc. Your job -- find all these egg sacs and destroy them. And
they are often outside (or wherever spiders live). Burn them when you've
collected them. Good way to get rid of gypsy moths, too.

--

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (04/29/86)

> Will spiders eat those little brown roaches?  If so, bring them
> (the spiders) over to my apartment.  Lord knows, Raid isn't helping
> anymore.  I think the little suckers are immune.

No but my roommates lizard got loose once and we didn't find him for
a couple of days until one day we caught him racing accross the kitchen
catching and eathing roaches.  I suggested we let him stay loose.

-Ron

In article <430@ihlpf.UUCP> suem@ihlpf.UUCP (Sue McKinnell) writes:
> [...]

Jeez, I much prefer spiders to COCKROACHES!  Last place I lived had no
spiders at all, just cockroaches.  Now, I have spiders and ants.  The ants
can be a real pain in the ass, but the spiders are easy, I just ignore them.
They probably ate all the baby cockroaches hiding in my stuff when I moved.
My guess is if the spiders all left, cockroaches would probably move in,
and I'm much happier this way.  Like to get rid of the ants though.  I
tend to keep all exposed food stuffs on a kitchen table that has vaseline
on the table legs, ants can't cross the vaseline making the table a secure
no-ants-land.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

azriel@homxb.UUCP (A.HEUMAN) (05/02/86)

You might be interested in knowing that according to Jewish Tradition
spiders are not to be killed. The reason is to repay them for saving
King David's life. When King Saul was chasing David, in order to kill him,
young David hid in a cave.  A spider wove a web across the entrance to
the cave after he entered. When King Saul's soldiers came upon the cave,
the web convinced them the the cave hadn't been entered and they continued
their search elsewhere. Of course, when they pose a threat to human life
this tradition id overridden.

licsak@hsi.UUCP (Don Licsak) (05/02/86)

> SPIDERS!  Now that the warm weather is back (sort of), I notice these nasty
> creatures making themselves known again.  The little ones aren't so bad, but
> there are also big, hairy looking things that really gross me out (pardon my
> English).

The presence of a spider population usually indicates a large population of
other insects, SAM. Actually, they are a boon to humans as spiders help us
from being over-run by other insects, particularly cockroaches. However, I
know this is no consolation to you.

You say you live on the first floor. If there are a large number of trees
and bushes around the house that's one reason for a lot of spiders. They're
looking for food. Again, I know you couldn't care less about what they eat,
you just want to get rid of them, and I can't blame you. I've seen several
of "nightmare" size. They aren't the least bit cute!

Go to any large size chain store in your area and look for an insect spray
that has a residual effect. This leaves a dry residue where you spray. It
acts on the nervous system of insects and causes death. You just might see
"something" staggering as if it's drunk. That's the effect of the spray.
It's been a while since I've purchased a "home" spray, but to my knowledge
Black Flag makes an excellent spray. Ortho also is very good. Try to get
one with a ingredient called "baygon." This is very effective. Just be
sure it is a residual type spray.

One other thing. If you own a pet, i.e. cat, bird, puppy, etc., read the
instructions before you buy. Some insecticides are deadly to small pets.

I can't guarantee you'll never see a spider again, but you will see far
fewer of them.

Let me know how you make out.

Don in New Haven
   -30-

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (05/04/86)

In article <697@steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@kbsvax.UUCP (Davidsen) writes:

>Seriously, my favorite killer is starting either from the local auto
>stores. It kills bees, wasps, hornets, termites (after the local bug
>man couldn't), etc. While you have to use care when applying it, unlike
>many commercial sprays it leaves no poisons to affect kids, petc, etc.

You better be damn careful with starting ether!!  The stuff is *highly*
explosive.  Using it in a closed room can result in explosion and fire
if you spray enough of it around and there is an open flame or spark
(i.e., pilot lights, switching on  a light switch, etc).  The fumes in
a poorly ventilated location can also knock you out...which isn't a
good thing even if it doesn't start a fire.

I would very strongly recommend against using ether for household pest
extermination, cleaning, or anything else unless you like danger.  I
wonder what your insurance company would say if there was a fire and
you explained it hard started because you were spraying your spiders
with an explosive mixture?

>"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"

Uh, was this a disclaimer on your article?  Were you actually just
trying to support "evolution in action"?
--
Gene Spafford
Software Engineering Research Center, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

bane@parcvax.UUCP (05/13/86)

In article <142@fai.UUCP>, ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:
> >	I catch all that I can (a glass tumbler over them first, then slide
> >paper under the glass, and escort them out of doors or to the plant room.
>

> ***
>
> Will spiders eat those little brown roaches?  If so, bring them
> (the spiders) over to my apartment.  Lord knows, Raid isn't helping
> anymore.  I think the little suckers are immune.
>

> 				Ron

I had the same problem, both at my parents' house and in my apartment.
I used Roach Prufe (Boric acid, sugar, anti-caking stuff), and it
worked wonders!  My parents haven't seen a roach since, and at the
apartment, we would see one, maybe every two or three weeks (they come
from the next apartment), and it would be dead already.

Boric acid is a physical poisen, which means they can't develop an
immunity to it (I believe it works by clogging up their spiracles and
smothering them.  Or the crystals scrape the carapace and they
dehydrate. Something like that).

I even trapped roaches in glasses to see how long it took (before they
all died, of course).  Big ones died real fast; baby roaches took
hours and hours (usually overnight).  No, I didn't do enough for a
real statistically significant study, but I was impressed.

Roach Prufe is relatively expensive ($10/can, good for a whole house
or so, though), and you can make your own (I don't know the
proportions, but the major ingredient is boric acid).  The can says to
sprinkle it around with a spoon, but I think if you use a little
blower (like from a camara kit), you don't need nearly as much and it
works just as well.

The best thing: roaches take some time to die, so they tend to track
the  stuff around, especially over their eggs.

Repeat, this is NOT a poison.  As far as I know, it is safe for babies
and pets.  Of course, I wouldn't recommend letting them eat it out of
the can, but it IS mainly eye-wash.

Has Consumer Reports done anything on this?

As you can see, I've been really happy (and surprised) by the stuff.

				- rene
--
Rene P S (nee Steiner) Bane
bane@parcvax

dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (05/14/86)

>Repeat, this is NOT a poison.  As far as I know, it is safe for babies
>and pets.  Of course, I wouldn't recommend letting them eat it out of
>the can, but it IS mainly eye-wash.

Boric acid is extremely poisonous to young children.  My twin brother
died in infancy from boric acid poisoning caused by absorption of
the substance through the skin in a dusting powder.  Realize that you're
going to be spraying this stuff loose where children might come into contact
with it.  You should treat it no differently than any other pesticide.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

suem@ihlpf.UUCP (Sue McKinnell) (05/14/86)

> I used Roach Prufe (Boric acid, sugar, anti-caking stuff), and it
>
> Repeat, this is NOT a poison.  As far as I know, it is safe for babies
> and pets.  Of course, I wouldn't recommend letting them eat it out of
> the can, but it IS mainly eye-wash.

It's my understanding that Boric Acid *is* toxic to pets, and maybe
children - so READ THE LABEL!!
--

Sue McKinnell
...!ihnp4!ihopb!suem

snappy@ihlpa.UUCP (Schulpiet) (05/14/86)

> Rene P S (nee Steiner) Bane
> bane@parcvax
Relative to the de-roaching with boric acid, there have
been several postings establishing that this method
works better than any commercial bug-killer you can
find anywhere.  I just wish I knew this when we lived
in Texas...would have been able to save many dollars.

If you have the "roach" problem...try the boric acid.
The netters have all agreed that it really works as
the boric acid prevents the roaches from absorbing
moisture through their shells.  The b.a. acts like
water-proofing and consequently the darned things
die.

Marge
.

kludge@gitpyr.UUCP (05/15/86)

In article <314@parcvax.Xerox.COM> bane@parcvax.Xerox.COM (John R. Bane) writes:
>In article <142@fai.UUCP>, ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:
>> Will spiders eat those little brown roaches?  If so, bring them
>> (the spiders) over to my apartment.  Lord knows, Raid isn't helping
>> anymore.  I think the little suckers are immune.
>I had the same problem, both at my parents' house and in my apartment.
>I used Roach Prufe (Boric acid, sugar, anti-caking stuff), and it
>worked wonders!  My parents haven't seen a roach since, and at the
>apartment, we would see one, maybe every two or three weeks (they come
>from the next apartment), and it would be dead already.

   I have always put long strips of masking tape out in all the corners,
with the sticky side up.  The roaches love to eat the glue, but get stuck
to it, and can't move.  This causes them to die, and it works pretty well.
I usually can pick up one to two roaches per week in the dorm rooms here.
   Now if there was only something that did as well with rats....

--
-------
Disclaimer: Everything I say is probably a trademark of someone.  But

Scott Dorsey       " If value corrupts
kaptain_kludge         then absolute value corrupts absolutely"

ICS Programming Lab (Where old terminals go to die), Rich 110,
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 36681, Atlanta, Georgia 30332
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!kludge

sheryl@pyramid.UUCP (Sheryl Flieder) (05/16/86)

I recently read in Newsweek (May 19 issue) about a new roach killer.
Not really killer, I suppose an eliminator or exterminator.  I don't know
whether it's on the market yet.  It is not a poison, but rather is a hormone.
It works by sterilizing the buggers before they are old enough to reproduce.
If you have moral qualms about killing bugs, this might be for you.
They say, in the laboratory, no roach has ever become immune to this drug.
Anyway, it is not a poison.  It's like putting all your pests on the "pill".

Sheryl Flieder
Pyramid Technology

Disclaimer:  my employer has nothing to do with this.  They do not allow
employees to read Newsweek.

{sun, allegra, hplabs, shasta, decwrl, topaz}	!pyramid!sheryl

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (05/16/86)

In article <466@ihlpf.UUCP> suem@ihlpf.UUCP (Sue McKinnell) writes:
>> I used Roach Prufe (Boric acid, sugar, anti-caking stuff), and it
>>
>> Repeat, this is NOT a poison.  As far as I know, it is safe for babies
>> and pets.  Of course, I wouldn't recommend letting them eat it out of
>> the can, but it IS mainly eye-wash.
>
>It's my understanding that Boric Acid *is* toxic to pets, and maybe
>children - so READ THE LABEL!!

  Boric acid is toxic to anyone if you eat enough of it. I looked it up
in a toxicology reference when I was going to use it once. I think it had
a median lethal dose of about an ounce, and that symptoms included a sort
of reddening, blush-like effect.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
ucbvax!weyl!gsmith       "DUMB problem!! DUMB!!!" -- Robert L. Forward

bane@parcvax.Xerox.COM (John R. Bane) (05/16/86)

In article <308@spdcc.UUCP>, dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
> >Repeat, this is NOT a poison.  As far as I know, it is safe for babies
> >and pets.  Of course, I wouldn't recommend letting them eat it out of
> >the can, but it IS mainly eye-wash.
>
> Boric acid is extremely poisonous to young children.  My twin brother
> died in infancy from boric acid poisoning caused by absorption of
> the substance through the skin in a dusting powder.  Realize that you're
> going to be spraying this stuff loose where children might come into contact
> with it.  You should treat it no differently than any other pesticide.
> --
> Steve Dyer
> dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
> {linus,wanginst,bbncca,bbnccv,harvard,ima,ihnp4}!spdcc!dyer

I sincerely apologize for the misinformation.  The man in the hardware store
assured me that it wasn't dangerous.  He seemed to know what he was
talking about.

				- rene
--
Rene P S (nee Steiner) Bane
bane@parcvax

dts@gitpyr.UUCP (Danny Sharpe) (05/17/86)

In article <466@ihlpf.UUCP> suem@ihlpf.UUCP (Sue McKinnell) writes:
>> I used Roach Prufe (Boric acid, sugar, anti-caking stuff), and it
>>
>> Repeat, this is NOT a poison.  As far as I know, it is safe for babies
>> and pets.  Of course, I wouldn't recommend letting them eat it out of
>> the can, but it IS mainly eye-wash.
>
>It's my understanding that Boric Acid *is* toxic to pets, and maybe
>children - so READ THE LABEL!!

The label says keep the stuff away from children and pets, like all good
pesticide labels.

                                               -Danny

--

--  "How can I tell," said the man, "that the past isn't a fiction designed
    to account for the discrepancy between my immediate physical sensations

Danny Sharpe
School of ICS
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!dts

chris@toram.UUCP (Chris Robertson) (05/17/86)

Try leaving a beer bottle with a tablespoon of so of beer in the bottom
lying on its side on the floor near where roaches come in.  They crawl in
to drink the beer, get drunk, can't climb out the slippery sides, and drown.

Of course, you don't want to invite your boss or your mother over while
you've got all these empties full of dead cockroaches lying around on
your kitchen floor ... :-)
--

	Christine Robertson  {ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!toram!chris

	An apple a day keeps the doctor away, especially if aimed well.

johansen@agrigene.UUCP (05/17/86)

> I recently read in Newsweek (May 19 issue) about a new roach killer.
> Not really killer, I suppose an eliminator or exterminator.  I don't know
> whether it's on the market yet.  It is not a poison, but rather is a hormone.
> It works by sterilizing the buggers before they are old enough to reproduce.
> If you have moral qualms about killing bugs, this might be for you.
> They say, in the laboratory, no roach has ever become immune to this drug.
> Anyway, it is not a poison.  It's like putting all your pests on the "pill".

This hormone works by blocking the maturation of the pest so they do not
reach reproductive age. Unfortunately, it does not reduce their lifespan
so the hang around for 150 days before dieing of old age. A combination
of this with poison may work wonders.

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/18/86)

In article <314@parcvax.Xerox.COM> bane@parcvax.Xerox.COM (John R. Bane) writes:

>I had the same problem, both at my parents' house and in my apartment.
>I used Roach Prufe (Boric acid, sugar, anti-caking stuff), and it
>worked wonders!

As Cecil Adams has told us numerous times, the best roach killer and only
active ingredient in Roach Prufe, etc., is boric acid.  Don't pay $10 a can
for this, as you can get it much cheaper from your local chemist.

                                        -- Scott Turner
                                        The Chairman of the Board

sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (05/19/86)

>> I recently read in Newsweek (May 19 issue) about a new roach killer.
>> Not really killer, I suppose an eliminator or exterminator.  I don't know
>> whether it's on the market yet.  It is not a poison, but rather is a hormone.
>> It works by sterilizing the buggers before they are old enough to reproduce.

It is on the market, at least in NY, under the brand name 'Combat'. It comes
in little plastic things that you are supposed to put in strategic places in
your house. It is very effective.

Sodium Fluoride was once used as a home insecticide (Roach Nots).
It worked better than boric acid, but I guess that they don't sell
it as an insecticide anymore because of its higher toxicity to people.
(or do they?)

spp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Stephen P Pope) (05/20/86)

> As Cecil Adams has told us numerous times, the best roach killer and only
> active ingredient in Roach Prufe, etc., is boric acid.  Don't pay $10 a can
> for this, as you can get it much cheaper from your local chemist.

"Roach Prufe" is nothing but Boric Acid, however, it is an extremely
fine powder.  My guess is larger boric acid crystals would not
work as well.

steve

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (05/21/86)

Well, I finally got the suckers (roachs) under control.
(No, this is not the "drug testing" topic.)  I haven't
been able to find Roach Prufe, but with my can of industrial
strength Raid in hand I sprayed heavily around the seams
in the doors and windows, and laid a pool of the stuff
across the window sills.  (I have no kids or pets.  I
wouldn't do this otherwise.)  I had finally come to the
conclusion about a week ago that the roaches were coming
from apartment next door, when I pulled everything out of
each room in turn and put poison everywhere and packed things
in Raid-sprayed boxes and the little brown guys were back
in a week.  Now I sweep the dead bodies off the sills and
doorjams every other day and reapply the poison.  I've won!
(I think.)

Still want to try Roach Prufe if I can find it.  Raid smells
terrible.

			Ron

(Roach Prufe and Raid are no doubt trademarks of some chemical
companies somewhere.)

dts@gitpyr.UUCP (Danny Sharpe) (05/26/86)

In article <192@fai.UUCP> ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:

>                             ...  with my can of industrial
>strength Raid in hand I sprayed heavily around the seams
>in the doors and windows, and laid a pool of the stuff
>across the window sills.  (I have no kids or pets.  I
>wouldn't do this otherwise.)  I had finally come to the
>conclusion about a week ago that the roaches were coming
>from apartment next door, when I pulled everything out of
>each room in turn and put poison everywhere and packed things
>in Raid-sprayed boxes and the little brown guys were back
>in a week.  Now I sweep the dead bodies off the sills and
>doorjams every other day and reapply the poison.  I've won!
>(I think.)

With that much poison around your place, I'm afraid you may have
lost along with the roaches.  Though you might not find out for
a while...

                                          -Danny

--

carl@proper.UUG? (Carl Greenberg) (05/31/86)

In article <371@pyramid.UUCP> sheryl@pyramid.UUCP (Sheryl Flieder) writes:
>It is not a poison, but rather is a hormone.
>It works by sterilizing the buggers before they are old enough to reproduce.
I hear there's one that turns the little buggers HOMOSEXUAL!  Imagine, all
these little roaches climbing onto the terminal cf. Archy & Mehitabel (sp?)
to post to net.motss.. :-)
							Carl Greenberg