[net.consumers] Commodore Plus 4 Question.

dgi@rruxo.UUCP (D Iveson) (07/18/86)

This posting is for a friend of mine who's interested in
buying a small computer for home use.

Does anybody know anything about a supposedly new Commodore
model called the Plus 4?  Any information about it would be
appreciated.  Also does anyone know about a color monitor
by BMC, model 125AUW and if so is it compatible with the
aforementioned computer?

   Thanks for any and all answers!

    Dave The Destroyer!

eric@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (07/21/86)

In article <188@rruxo.UUCP> dgi@rruxo.UUCP (D Iveson) writes:
>Does anybody know anything about a supposedly new Commodore
>model called the Plus 4?  Any information about it would be
>appreciated.  Also does anyone know about a color monitor
>by BMC, model 125AUW and if so is it compatible with the
>aforementioned computer?
>
>    Dave The Destroyer!

The Commodore PLUS/4 is actually a couple of years old now.  At one time it was
intended to complement and/or succeed the C64.  I won't comment as to the
merits and faults of the PLUS/4, but for the prices I have seen it discounted
to it isn't a bad deal.  If you have any problems finding software, check
for a Commodore add in (Commodore's) Commodore Microcomputer & Power/Play
magazines.  If you can't find it, contact me and I'll try to help you out.

	Eric Cotton
--
"My hovercraft is full of eels."
/*========================================================================*/

elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) (07/22/86)

In article <188@rruxo.UUCP> dgi@rruxo.UUCP writes:
>This posting is for a friend of mine who's interested in
>buying a small computer for home use.
>
>Does anybody know anything about a supposedly new Commodore
>model called the Plus 4?  Any information about it would be
>appreciated.  Also does anyone know about a color monitor

The only "home" Commodore models in widespread use right now are the
C-64 and the C-128. Anything else is an incompatible orphan with no
software.

Once upon a time, about a year and a half ago, Commodore decided they
would replace the venerable Commodore 64. So, they invented the +4.
The +4 had a cheaper keyboard, no sound chip, limited RS-232 port, and
was completely incompatible with the Commodore 64 -- no C-64 software
will run on the +4. Commodore never managed to sell many, and lost a
bundle when they had to write down their inventory and liquidate. It
is an orphan now, so there never WILL be any software to run on the
+4. Useful only if you want to play around with BASIC, you'll never be
able to do anything useful on it.

>by BMC, model 125AUW and if so is it compatible with the
>aforementioned computer?

I haven't seen the BMC, but any composite monitor is compatible with
the C-64 or C-128. Note, however, that you get a better picture out of
the Commodore monitors (because they accept the pre-seperated chroma
and luma signals that the Commodore computers can produce, eliminating
the smudging induced by the chroma trap in ordinary monitors). Or you
can just use a monochrome monitor. I'm using a $50 NAP monitor for 80
column on my C-128 right now, in order to write this warning.

--
-- Computing from the Bayous, --
      Eric Green {akgua,ut-sally}!usl!elg

dbb@rayssdb.UUCP (David B. Bennett) (07/22/86)

=== REFERENCED ARTICLE ===================================
> From: dgi@rruxo.UUCP (D Iveson)
> Newsgroups: net.micro,net.consumers
> Subject: Commodore Plus 4 Question.
> Date: Fri, 18-Jul-86 16:24:43 EDT
>
> This posting is for a friend of mine who's interested in
> buying a small computer for home use.
>
> Does anybody know anything about a supposedly new Commodore
> model called the Plus 4?  Any information about it would be
> appreciated.  Also does anyone know about a color monitor
> by BMC, model 125AUW and if so is it compatible with the
> aforementioned computer?
>
>    Thanks for any and all answers!
>
>     Dave The Destroyer!

  For what it's worth, you would be better to stay away from the
Plus 4, it's by no means new:  Commodore has stopped making them
and is selling off their inventory as fast as they can.  The problem
is that the Plus 4 doesn't use the same software as the C-64 or the
C-128.  Even though you can get a good deal on the Plus 4 ( <$100 )
you'll do better with a C-64 ( <$150 ).  No one supports the
Plus 4 with software these days, and in another year the Plus 4
will be in the same condition as the VIC-20: only a memory.
  The C-64 is still in production and software is available by the
tons, it is the best documented "low end" computer around.  With
the advent of the C-128 (which has a C-64 mode) you are assured that
software and documentation will be around for a good while to come.

                                                   D. B. Bennett
                                                   ihnp4!rayssd!rayssdb!dbb