[net.consumers] Free coffee contest

marcos@sdchem.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) (09/08/86)

In the latest edition of Time magazine, there is an advertisement
by Sanka wherein they announce a new contest. If you can tell them
how many coffee beans (to within 50) are used, on average, to produce
a 13 ounce can of ground Sanka, you win *12* cans of the stuff.
There is no limit on the number of entries you can submit. Limit one
winning entry per household/family. There are no purchase requirements.

Does anyone out there in net-land have any good guesses they'd like
to share with the rest of us?

Entries should be sent to:

"Spill the Beans" Contest
P.O. Box 5317
Kankakee, IL 60902

Enter as often as you want. Guess must be printed on a 3 x 5 inch card and
sent by first class mail to the above address. Contest ends February 28,1987.
Typical restrictions (no employees of General Foods, etc.) apply.

					       David ("Dr. DAP") Pearlman

alang@masscomp.UUCP (Alan Groupe) (09/11/86)

Why not buy a couple of ounces of whole been coffee and count how
many beans you get. Then just bracket this answer by +- 50 and 100.

king@kestrel.ARPA (Dick King) (09/16/86)

   From: marcos@sdchem.UUCP (David A. Pearlman)
   Newsgroups: net.consumers,net.misc
   Date: 8 Sep 86 17:07:30 GMT

[...]

I don't drink coffee, so I won't bother, but how hard would it be to
count 1/2 ounce of beans and multiply by 26?  Am I missing something?

-dick

jin@hropus.UUCP (Jerry Natowitz) (09/16/86)

> I don't drink coffee, so I won't bother, but how hard would it be to
> count 1/2 ounce of beans and multiply by 26?  Am I missing something?
>
> -dick

Coffee beans vary greatly in their weight dependent on the variety
of the bean and how it was roasted.
--
Jerry Natowitz (HASA - A division)
Bell Labs HR 2A-214

Isn't it interesting how the beautiful little red flower in the forest
becomes so ugly when you discover it's a candy wrapper.