[net.bio] BioComputing summary

ee163ahq@sdccs7.UUCP (04/08/84)

Subject:	Well, here it is at last: BioComputing Summary '84
Apologies:	To those to whom I couldn't directly reply

Here's a summary of replies to my question of about a month ago: "What's
happening out there?" in terms of computer applications in biology
(or biological applications in computing).  I mentioned specifically
the possibility of determining the quaternary structure of proteins
via solutions of Schroedinger's wave equations.  R. Martin Chavez of
Harvard is planning to take on that problem via extrapolative methods
layed down in the AI domain.  As for the rest of you, here's what you're
doing:
[BTW, Usenet sites running readnews should use the d(igestify) command
to read this article]

From: sdcsvax!decvax!mcnc!jwb (Tue Mar  6 20:34:09 1984)
Subject: Re: What's happening out there?

We are running simulations of electrical impulse propagation in the heart.
These studies combine ionic currents obtained experimentally with models
for geometry.  The reason for doing this is that the ionic currents can
only be obtained under conditions where there can be no propagation
(voltage clamp).  Understanding electrical propagation is important for
the understanding of arrhythmias and how antiarrhythmic drugs work.

	Jack Buchanan
	Medicine and Biomedical Engineering
	decvax!mcnc!jwb

From: Hao-Nhien Qui Vu <sdcsvax!decvax!pur-ee!Pucc-K:lcu>

	Well, I use computer mostly to analyse X-ray photos of
virus crystals. The computing load is sky-high, and the resulting
model of the crystal is beautiful.

=======
Hao-Nhien Vu
{eagle, decvax, hao, harpo, ihnp4, seismo, sri-unix, ucbvax, uwvax}!pur-ee!vu
or
{.......SAME..AS..ABOVE........}!pur-ee!Pucc-K:lcu

From: hes@ecsvax.UUCP
Subject: DNA Sequence Analysis
Date: Tue, 6-Mar-84 13:58:33 PST

<> It was mentioned that one of the big new application areas of
computation in biology is the storage and processing of DNA sequence
data.  (Really nucleic acid sequences, but the data is almost all on
DNA rather than RNA.)
   A recent book which covers much of this field (and which has broader
coverage than the title suggests) is:
        Statistical Analysis of DNA Sequence Data
          edited by B. S. Weir, 1983
          published by Marcel Dekker, Inc., NY
The chapters are written by different authors and are:
 1. Determination of DNA Fragment Size from Gel Electrophoresis Mobility
 2. Computers and DNA Sequences:  A Natural Combination
 3. The Role of Models in the Analysis of Molecular Genetic Data, with
     Particular Reference to Restriction Fragment Data
 4. Statistical Analysis of Restriction Enzyme Map Data and Nucleotide
     Sequence Data
 5. Analysis of Variation in Related DNA Sequences
 6. Inferring Evolutionary Trees from DNA Sequences
 7. Convergent Evolution and Nonparametric Inferences from Restriction
     Data and DNA Sequences
 8. The Number of Polymorphic DNA Clones Required to Map the Human
     Genome
 9. Use of Restriction Fragment Polymorphisms as Genetic Markers

   I wrote the first chapter, and will discuss this topic in this
newsgroup in the near future.
--henry schaffer  ncsu  genetics

From: kovish@mprvaxa.UUCP
Subject: Digital analysis of microscopic images
Date: Mon, 5-Mar-84 16:16:58 PST

Heres a "BioComputing" idea I have wondered about for
a while. Suppose we take a film of some cellular behavior
under an optical microscope. This film would then be digitized
and processed by a computer. A fourier transform of each image
location intensity (color?) as a function of time would be
performed. The computer could then insert artificial colors
into the image depending upon the time dependent fluctuations
in intensity at each image location.  More complicated functions
of the intensity fluctuations might be developed to color the
image. Would the resulting image reveal aspects of cellular
behavior not observable normally? Some reasons why it might are:
small or quick intensity fluctuations will probably be integrated
by the eye and hence invisible; objects too small to be resolved
by the optical microscope may still manifest themselves optically by
producing intensity fluctuations (only marginally similar to light
scattering studies of macromolecules). Has any one tried this?
I'm curious what the results were/would be. Thanks for any info.

Date: 13 Mar 1984 01:03:04-??? (Tue)
From: menlo70!analog!lpi3230!steve

We at Linus Pauling Institute are doing some computer work in biology
(including DNA and amino-acid sequence analysis, automated analysis of
2D gel electrophoresis data, etc.) but the following Usenet piece sounds
more like what you are interested in, so I'm forwarding it to you.
If you get any other interesting responses, please forward them (or a
summary of them) to me.

					lpi3230!steve
					Steve Burbeck

From: KEDAR-CABELLI@RUTGERS.ARPA (FORWARDED)
Newsgroups: net.ai
Subject: III Seminar on Expert Systems this coming Tuesday...
Date: Wed, 8-Feb-84 12:59:49 PST

>From:  Smadar <KEDAR-CABELLI@RUTGERS.ARPA>

                    [Reprinted from the Rutgers bboard.]

                                 I I I SEMINAR

          Title:    Automation of Modeling, Simulation and Experimental
                    Design - An Expert System in Enzyme Kinetics

          Speaker:  Von-Wun Soo

          Date:     Tuesday, February 14,1983, 1:30-2:30 PM

          Location: Hill Center, Seventh floor lounge

  Von-Wun Soo, a Ph.D. student in our department, will give an informal talk on
the thesis research he is proposing.  This is his abstract:

       We  are proposing to develop a general knowledge engineering tool to
    aid biomedical researchers in developing biological models and  running
    simulation experiments. Without such powerful tools, these tasks can be
    tedious  and  costly.  Our aim is to integrate these techniques used in
    modeling, simulation, optimization, and experimental design by using an
    expert system approach. In addition we propose to carry out experiments
    on the processes of theory formation used by the scientists.

    Enzyme kinetics is the domain where we are concentrating  our  efforts.
    However, our research goal is not restricted to this particular domain.
    We  will attempt to demonstrate with this special case, how several new
    ideas  in  expert  problem  solving  including  automation  of   theory
    formation,  scientific  discovery,  experimental  design, and knowledge
    acquisition can be further developed.

    Four modules have been designed in parallel:  PROKINAL, EPX, CED, DISC.

    PROKINAL is a model generator which simulates the qualitative reasoning
    of the kineticists who conceptualize and postulate a reaction mechanism
    for a set of experimental data. By using a general procedure  known  as
    the  King-Altman  procedure to convert a mechanism topology into a rate
    law function, and  symbolic  manipulation  techniques  to  factor  rate
    constant   terms   to   kinetic   constant   term,  PROKINAL  yields  a
    corresponding FORTRAN function which computes the reaction rate.

    EPX is a model simulation aid which is designed by combining EXPERT and
    PENNZYME. It is supposed to guide the novice user in  using  simulation
    tools  and  interpreting  the  results.  It  will take the data and the
    candidate model that has been generated from PROKINAL and estimate  the
    parameters by a nonlinear least square fit.

    CED  is a experimental design consultant which uses EXPERT to guide the
    computation of experimental conditions.  Knowledge  of  optimal  design
    from  the  statistical  analysis  has  been taken into consideration by
    EXPERT in order to give advice  on  the  appropriate  measurements  and
    reduce the cost of experimentation.

    DISC  is  a  discovery  module which is now at the stage of theoretical
    development. We wish to explore and simulate the behavior of scientific
    discovery in enzyme kinetics research and use the results in automating
    theory formation tasks.

--
[That's all folks]

--