[net.bio] HELP!

phl@drusd.UUCP (LavettePH) (01/24/85)

Hey, do any of you pros have an opinion on how an amateur can sterilize his
glassware to a level that is acceptable when he is working in a home-basement
lab?

I have a rather old screw-top pressure cooker that I use when I'm sterilizing
my agar tubes and dishes, but I stay out of the kitchen as much as I can except
when I have to go in and turn the heat off.  I don't want to use alcohol because
a little of it goes a long way in destroying a living culture.  I've tried the
oven at max temp for a half hour with good results, but it seems to take for-
ever.

I guess the question is - Can you sterilize glassware in a microwave oven in,
say fifteen minutes, to a degree that is equal to or better than the rest of
the stuff sterilized in rather primitive conditions?  I've tried it but I have
had no luck in isolating whether the contamination I wind up with comes from
my lab bench, my someday-it-will-explode-and-take-me-with-it autoclave or my
glass tools.  I'm betting on the bench so I take real care there, but I still
want as clean an operation as I can get.  I can flame-sterilize some things,
but pipettes,etc.,are a real problem.

Thanks, for your help.

- Phil Lavette

p.s.  A while back you pros gave me quite a bit of help in finding good
      reference books and suppliers.  I've kept that info and added some
      of my own and any cellar-biologist who wants a summary just has to
      ask.  Please include your USnail address because I still don't fully
      understand the cyberbabble that gets email from me to you and I can
      print out a copy of what I have and send it to you without tying up
      the net.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (E. Michael Smith) (01/28/85)

> Hey, do any of you pros have an opinion on how an amateur can sterilize his
> glassware to a level that is acceptable when he is working in a home-basement
> lab?

I'm not a pro, but that doesn't stop me from having an oppinion  ( in
the true tradition of the net...)

I think the oven is your best bet.  Given my 'experiments' with baked
chicken left in the oven overnight, it seems that the environment stays
reasonably sterile.  It should be that glassware would be sterile as soon
as the surface temperature reached 300 degrees F or so.  The biggest risk
is in contamination when the door is opened.

Also, have you thought of trying acetone as a sterilizer?  Evaporates
much better than ethanol.

Another trick I have used is to use isopropanol to dissinfect/sterilize
and then dry in the oven at 250 degrees.  Fast and efficient.

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

Comedo ergo sum

The opinions expressed by me are not representative of those of any
other person - natural, unnatural, or fictional - and only marginally
reflect my opinions as strained by the language.

carter@gatech.UUCP (Carter Bullard) (01/30/85)

I would recommend using UV light.  Commercially available "black
lights" will do the trick.  Just leave your cleaned glassware
under the light overnight.

And it really, really works.

--
Carter Bullard
ICS, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta GA 30332

mccann@sjuvax.UUCP (mccann) (02/01/85)

     I am not really sure that either the UV light bit or the use of an oven
at 350 will completely sterilize glassware. First, UV cannot significantly
penetrate glass, so this would be useless for sterilizing pipettes and such
(also, the UV varies greatly in effectiveness on different types of bacteria
and exposure of 'sterilized' glassware after irradiation would initiate photo-
reactivation of bacteria not yet dead.) The heating in an oven bit also is not
totally effective, since even non-cysting bacteria can survive high temperatures
for some time. Your best bet is to go out and but yourself a new pressure cooker
because this saves time and will probably do a better job of sterilizing than
the other methods.
M McCann

royt@gitpyr.UUCP (Roy M. Turner) (02/03/85)

In article <11808@gatech.UUCP> carter@gatech.UUCP (Carter Bullard) writes:
>I would recommend using UV light.  Commercially available "black
>lights" will do the trick.  Just leave your cleaned glassware
>under the light overnight.
>
>And it really, really works.

That sounds reasonable, if the stuff you're trying to sterilize is
not opaque, and providing that the UV you're using is strong enough
to kill a major proportion of the little buggers and not just
mutate them.  Also, from what little I remember of my microbiology
courses, I believe that spores are resistant to UV (and to damn
near everything else, too).

Roy

(My above opinions are the result of a shaky base in microbio, but
what do you expect from someone in a computer science department?
   :-)    )
--
Roy Turner
(a transplanted Kentucky hillbilly)