[net.bio] curious behavior

urol@ecsvax.UUCP (Floyd A. Fried) (05/03/85)

For the past two weeks a female cardinal continues to try to fly
through one of our kitchen windows.  This happens continuously
all day long with small amounts of time off for eating or
whatever cardinals do.  At first I thought she was trying to
alight on a large amarylis plant and so moved it away but alas
she is still trying to fly into the house.  Our cat at first
was amused by this but now has completely lost interest.  Do
any of you have any ideas what may be causing this curious
behavior?

ran@ho95b.UUCP (RANeinast) (05/06/85)

>For the past two weeks a female cardinal continues to try to fly
>through one of our kitchen windows.
>Do any of you have any ideas what may be causing this curious
>behavior?

Is there by any chance a mirror on the wall opposite the window?
I remember when I was 6, a pair of goldfinches kamikazeed on
our picture window.  With the mirror behind, all they saw
was "outdoors".

A possible solution:  Make a life-size tracing of a hawk
or similar bird in black construction paper and paste it
on your window.  Just the silhouette should keep most birds
away.
--

". . . and shun the frumious Bandersnatch."
Robert Neinast (ihnp4!ho95b!ran)

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (05/06/85)

In article <1130@ecsvax.UUCP> urol@ecsvax.UUCP (Floyd A. Fried) writes:
>For the past two weeks a female cardinal continues to try to fly
>through one of our kitchen windows.   Do
>any of you have any ideas what may be causing this curious
>behavior?

We had the same problem with a robin.  It was gathering twigs for a nest
from the eaves trough that runs immediately above the window.  It insisted
on coming up from below so it could grab the twigs with its beak (no
concept of landing then bending over, I guess).  In the process, it
smashed its wings and legs against the window every time.

				Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo