[net.bio] gay genes

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (05/13/85)

> Any gene that caused homosexuality would not survive.  It doesn't
> matter if gay people have children.  They have LESS children, and that
> is all it takes.  Any trait that reduces the likelihood of reproduction
> will disappear exponentially.

Not necessarily.  Remember, the genes found in an individual member of a
species are found to varying degrees among the relatives of that individual
as well.  It is quite possible for there to be traits -- especially
recessive ones -- which cause an individual to be less likely to produce
offspring, but which are beneficial to the individual's kin and therefore
survive into future generations indirectly.

There are several very different examples of this which come to mind.  One
which I can (fuzzily) recall from high school biology is sickle cell anemia,
which is deadly when an individual has two of the genes in question but
highly beneficial (in tropical climates) to those who only have one, as it
reduces susceptibility to malaria.  In this case, the gene has very
different consequences in heterozygous and in homozygous form.

More interesting are species with neuter forms, such as the social insects.
Drone ants don't breed, but they certainly contribute to the survival of
their genes anyway.

And a final example which is known to be highly developed in humans is what
sociobiologists call "altruism."  When, say, a parent bird or mammal dies
protecting its young from a predator, it is destroying its own specific set
of genes but increasing the chances of survival for the portion of its genes
carried by its children.  This can apply to less closely related kin as
well, and in the case of humans certainly does.  (Humans are so altruistic
that they are often willing to die for other humans who are hardly related
at all, or even for an idea or a symbol.)

Could any of this apply to a hypothetical "gay gene"?  Maybe.  The gene
could be linked by chance to other, desirable traits, or it could even be
desirable in and of itself in ways we don't understand.  (Some wild-eyed
speculators have noted the alleged creativity common among gays, and
credited homosexuals as being the "wild cards" among the human race that
give the species much of its ability for innovation.)

Or perhaps the prevalence of homosexuality among humans (10% is much higher
than in many species) is a spin-off of the general "sexiness" of the human
race: we as a species are much more sex-oriented than any of our relatives,
and use sex for all sorts of things other than just reproduction.  If sex
evolved as part of the glue that keeps primates and especially humans
together in social groups, mightn't homosexuality be just another (perhaps
highly beneficial) sort of glue?  Maybe bands of early hominids that weren't
strictly hetero in their sexual attachments functioned better as groups than
those that didn't.

Who knows?  I certainly don't.  But I think that what constitutes a survival
characteristic is far too complex a question for us to rule out the
possibility of a genetic component to homosexuality.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle
--- riddle@ut-sally.UUCP, riddle@ut-sally.ARPA, riddle%zotz@ut-sally

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (05/15/85)

The survival of an individual's genes via collateral relatives
is a well known concept in population genetics, and goes back
at least 50 years.  (R. A. Fisher, in the Genetical Theory of
Natural Selection has an extensive treatment.)  But I have to
make a small quibble - its the worker in the ants and bees
which is a sterile female, and so doesn't breed.  The drone is
a male, and does (or can) breed.
--henry

In article <1901@ut-sally.UUCP> riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss riddle) writes:

>There are several very different examples of this which come to mind.  One
>which I can (fuzzily) recall from high school biology is sickle cell anemia,
>which is deadly when an individual has two of the genes in question but
>highly beneficial (in tropical climates) to those who only have one, as it
>reduces susceptibility to malaria.  In this case, the gene has very
>different consequences in heterozygous and in homozygous form.

	Actually, the heterozygote(only one copy) sickle cell
advantage is restricted to tropical Africa, and it is due to
immunity to African Sleeping Sickness not malaria.

--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

emigh@ecsvax.UUCP (Ted Emigh) (05/20/85)

In article <452@psivax.UUCP> friesen@psivax.UUCP (Stanley friesen) writes:
>	Actually, the heterozygote(only one copy) sickle cell
>advantage is restricted to tropical Africa, and it is due to
>immunity to African Sleeping Sickness not malaria.

Actually, the heterozygote sickle cell advantage is to malaria (Plasmodium
falciparum).  While the major occurence of sickle cell anemia gene is in
Central Africa, it is also found in other malarial environments (Persian
Gulf, Central India, etc).  Another abnormality also is associated with
malaria -- Thalassemia major, which occurs in relatively high frequencies
in the Mediterranean countries (also where malaria had a high incidence).

--

Ted H. Emigh     Genetics and Statistics, North Carolina State U, Raleigh  NC
USENET:	{akgua decvax duke ihnp4 unc}!mcnc!ecsvax!emigh

mccann@sjuvax.UUCP (mccann) (05/23/85)

>>There are several very different examples of this which come to mind.  One
>>which I can (fuzzily) recall from high school biology is sickle cell anemia,
>>which is deadly when an individual has two of the genes in question but
>>highly beneficial (in tropical climates) to those who only have one, as it
>>reduces susceptibility to malaria.  In this case, the gene has very
>>different consequences in heterozygous and in homozygous form.
>>
>	Actually, the heterozygote(only one copy) sickle cell
>advantage is restricted to tropical Africa, and it is due to
>immunity to African Sleeping Sickness not malaria.

Sickle cell animea does provide an advantage against malaria. The parasite which
causes malaria attacks the hemoglobin in the red blood cell, destroying it and
thus reducing the amount of oxygen carrying cells in circulation (after the
parasite degrades the Hemoglobin, it reproduces and lysis the cell). Being
heterozygous for the sickle cell trait causes half of a persons hemoglobin to
be different from the 'normal' hemoglobin. If this person contracts malaria,
only half of the hemoglobin in his/her blood is susceptable to the parasite and
they therefor mearly become ill (instead of dying) until a sufficient immune
response is triggered. I don't know about the African Sleeping Sickness.
M. McCann

carter@gatech.CSNET (Carter Bullard) (05/24/85)

In article <452@psivax.UUCP> friesen@psivax.UUCP (Stanley friesen) writes:

>	Actually, the heterozygote(only one copy) sickle cell
>advantage is restricted to tropical Africa, and it is due to
>immunity to African Sleeping Sickness not malaria.

	Nope. Sickle cell does give immunological advantage against
	malaria.
--
Carter Bullard
School of Information and Computer Science