[net.bio] Greenpeace's "Rainbow Warrior" sinks

rsk@pucc-k (Wombat) (07/10/85)

	Greenpeace's vessel, the "Rainbow Warrior", sank yesterday.  One
crewmember is missing, but the others are alright.

	If you are ecologically-minded, and/or a Greenpeace supporter, perhaps
now would be the time to think about helping them out, since I expect they'll
be wanting to replace the ship.
--
Rich Kulawiec	rsk@{pur-ee,purdue}.uucp, rsk@purdue-asc.csnet
		rsk@purdue-asc.arpa (soon to be) rsk@asc.purdue.edu

chaiklin@umn-cs.UUCP (Seth Chaiklin) (07/13/85)

In article <1176@pucc-k> rsk@pucc-k.UUCP (Wombat) writes:

>Greenpeace's vessel, the "Rainbow Warrior", sank yesterday.  One
>crewmember is missing, but the others are alright.

The newspaper article I read reported that the "Rainbow Warrior"
was sunk by a bomb, attached to the outside of the ship.  At the
time, the ship was in French Polynesia, protesting French
nuclear testing.  Fernando Perereia, the ship's photographer was
reported as dead.  This man was a Dutch citizen, but born in
Portugal.  David Lange, Prime Minister of New Zealand (who
earlier this year refused to allow American Navy ships to dock
in New Zealand because they would not confirm or deny the presence
of nuclear weapons on-board), was reported to have said that he was
considering sending a military ship from New Zealand to the area.