[net.bio] Human Genetics

mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) (08/01/85)

I have a question about biology that some netter should be able to
answer:  Do human X and Y chromosomes recombine?

For non-experts, recombination is the process via which chromosomes
exchange material.  Humans have double sets of chromosomes; each cell
of your body (other than the sperm and ovum) has 46 chromosomes, half
from your mother and half from your father.  In the process of creating
the sperm and the ovum, a set of 23 is created.  The material in these
23 chromosomes is drawn randomly from your 46.

Without recombination, each of the 23 chromosomes would be identical
with one of the 46.  Hence your set of 46 would contain chromosomes
identical with chromosomes in your parents, grandparents, etc.  An
ancestor 10 generations back might make a significant contribution to
your genetics (one or two chromosomes) or no contribution at all (zero).

But this doesn't happen.  Each of the 23 (or at least 22 of them?) has
material drawn from both parental chromosomes.  Just before the 23
chromosome sets are formed, the chromosomes pair off and swap material
(recombination).  Thus you are likely to have small bits of DNA from
all your ancestors 10 generations back.  You may have a greater or lesser
amount from each, but you are unlikely to have none and unlikely to have a
whole chromosome.

But do the sex chromosomes recombine?  If they do, this has implications for
human sexuality in that sex cannot be contained in the whole chromosome
otherwise recombination would render most of the human population andro-
genous (maybe it does?).  Sex would have to (?) be contained at one site
so it would be resistant to splitting via recombination.

If they don't, this has implications for sociobiology.  It means that all
46 of a woman's chromosomes and 45 of a man's chromosomes are some genetic
hodgepodge of all his/her ancestors, but that a man's Y chromosome is
identical with his father's, paternal grandfather's, etc.  This is relevant
to the preponderance of patriarchal societies, the low status of women, etc.

Sociobiologically yours,

Mark Thorson (...!cae780!weitek!mmm)

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (08/03/85)

Key to the understanding of this question is
that the human Y chromosome is a small
chromosome which carries very few genes
(if any) other that what it takes to make the
individual with it into a male.  It does *not*
carry copies of all the genes on the X, and
so is not really "homologous" to the X (all
the other 22 pairs are of homologous chromosomes.)
Thus a male does have his father's Y, and an X
from his mother (almost certainly resulting
from a recombination between her two X's,
as was discussed in the original posting.
So some of the sociobiological implications
may have to be skipped because of the few
genes passed on the Y.
(Fine point, there may be a small portion
of the Y which is homologous to a corresponding
small portion of the X.  If this is so, then
there could be a *tiny* bit of recombination,
but this would not fit into the type of effect
as in recombination of autosomes.)
--henry schaffer  n c state univ

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (08/03/85)

> I have a question about biology that some netter should be able to
> answer:  Do human X and Y chromosomes recombine?

	They do, but whether that is in fact normal or innapropriate
recombination, I do not know.

	However, one thing makes much of the implications moot. One, the Y
ain't much of a chromosome. It might be the smallest one. (the numbers go
from largest to smallest, except that 21 is smaller than 22 - it used to be
thought otherwise, and by the time it was discovered, 21 was so intrenched
as the chromosome associated with Down's Syndrome, they decided to be
inconsistent rather than confusing.)
	Even if it isn't the smallest one, it is mostly heterochromatin, i.e.
inactive.

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

dick@ucsfcca.UUCP (Dick Karpinski) (08/04/85)

In article <241@weitek.UUCP> mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) writes:
>I have a question about biology that some netter should be able to
>answer:  Do human X and Y chromosomes recombine?

I read something about that in the last month or so (Science News?
SciAm?) which suggested that the mechanism which keeps the sex
related genes from being recombined CAUSED the morphological
differences to arise.  I think the mechanism is of great interest
but very little understood.  The recombination is normally a good
thing, but with sex you want only male and female, not a little
of one and a little of the other.  Since the recombination is
suppressed, mutations are passed along whole.  Over a long time,
the differences between x and y became visible at the light
microscope level.  I'd be interested in a better answer too.

Dick
--
Dick Karpinski    Manager of Unix Services, UCSF Computer Center
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!dick   (415) 666-4529 (12-7)

sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) (08/04/85)

With regard to recombination of the Y chromosome,  I remember something
from highschool biology.  If my memory serves, in the process of meosis
(sp?) where sperm and egg are formed there is a stage where there are
two sets of genetic material floating about.  At this point there are
two identical Y chromosomes.  These two chromosomes may be able to
recombine.  Mistakes made in this recombination can result in variance
among Y chromosomes.  Of course this is still a weaker effect than recombining
with a different chromosome.  But I really know little about bio anyway.
-David Sher
sher@rochester
seismo!rochester!sher

alexis@reed.UUCP (Alexis Dimitriadis) (08/05/85)

In article <241@weitek.UUCP> mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) writes:
> I have a question about biology that some netter should be able to
> answer:  Do human X and Y chromosomes recombine?

  I believe they don't.  Recombination occurs between _homologous_
chromosomes, that is, chromosomes that are part of a "pair", and carry
genes for the same traits.  The X and Y chromosomes are completely
different chromosomes.  They do not pair up during meiosis, and thus no
recombination events take place.  It is a good thing they don't,
because any recombination of parts that are not equivalent would almost
certainly make the chromosome useless.  (Imagine trading _part_of_ your
gene for hemoglobin for part of a gene for eye color!)

The Y chromosome is a very unusual chromosome:  It is very
small, and as far as anybody knows it has (almost) no identifiable
genes on it.  It is thought that the gene for having a hairy
pinnae (sp), (part of the earlobe), may be on the Y chromosome, and
one or two even odder things, but apart from those it does not
code for any phenotypic characteristics.  All the "sex linked"
characters that you hear about in Biology class are on the X chromosome.

> But do the sex chromosomes recombine?  If they do, [...]
>		Sex would have to (?) be contained at one site
> so it would be resistant to splitting via recombination.

  Note that as I implied above, recombination happens between arbitrary
stretches of DNA, not in units of whole genes. A "sex gene" would not
be resistant to recombination.  At any rate, sex seems to be determined
by regulatory mechanisms much more subtle than the possession of a
particular gene.  Remember, men carry all the genes that women carry.

Alexis Dimitriadis
  As soon as I get a full time job, the opinions expressed above
will attach themselves to my employer, who will never be rid of
them again.

             alexis @ reed

	         ...teneron! \
...seismo!ihnp4! - tektronix! - reed.UUCP
     ...decvax! /

molbio@ucbvax.ARPA (Mike Cherry) (08/07/85)

In article <10873@rochester.UUCP> sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) writes:
>With regard to recombination of the Y chromosome,  I remember something
>from highschool biology.  If my memory serves, in the process of meosis
>(sp?) where sperm and egg are formed there is a stage where there are
>two sets of genetic material floating about.  At this point there are
>two identical Y chromosomes.  These two chromosomes may be able to
>recombine.  Mistakes made in this recombination can result in variance
>among Y chromosomes.  Of course this is still a weaker effect than recombining
>with a different chromosome.  But I really know little about bio anyway.

The above process occuring during meiosis, sister chromatid exchange, can cause
mutations at very low levels - as is found with all forms of recombination.

The Y chromosome doesn't have all the genes required for "maleness", only
those involved in the determiniation of sex. The others "maleness" genes
are presumably scattered amoung the other chromosomes.

Mike Cherry
ucbvax!molbio!mike

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (08/09/85)

In article <241@weitek.UUCP> mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) writes:
> I have a question about biology that some netter should be able to
> answer:  Do human X and Y chromosomes recombine?

and

> But do the sex chromosomes recombine?  If they do, [...]
>		Sex would have to (?) be contained at one site
> so it would be resistant to splitting via recombination.

If I remember correctly from the Human Medical Genetic course I took
in college some years ago, the only known function of the Y chromosome
was to "turn on" the production of androgen at an early stage of
pre-natal development.  All fetuses develop as females before that
point, and those with a Y chromosome "become" males as a result of
the effects of the androgen.  Because some XY fetuses are insensitive
to the effects of androgen, it is possible for a genotypic male to be
a phenotypic female in every respect, including reproductive ability.
(Such XY women are typically infertile but not sterile, since their
"Y" eggs are useless.) Recombination of genes across the X and Y
chromosomes probably occurs for those few genes that are on the Y
chromosome, but it is an extremely small gene and seems to carry very
little information.

emigh@ecsvax.UUCP (Ted Emigh) (08/13/85)

  Sorry about this reply, but I just returned from the Joint Statistical
Meetings and my office is being painted, so if I can't do anything productive
I might as well do something on the net.

  The mechanisms of sex determinism are not very well understood at the
present time.  What we do know is:
1)	Until 7 weeks of gestation, a fetus has both sets of sex structures
	(in primitive form).  At that time, individuals who are destined to
	become males will develop the male structures.  Somewhat later (a week
	or two), the rest will develop the female structures.

2)	After 12 weeks gestation, the sex of the fetus can be determined
	by visual inspection.

3)	This time from 7 to 12 weeks is a very critical period for the fetus,
	and they are very sensitive to external stimuli.  This is the time
	when all the thalidomide damage is done.  It is possible to interfere
	with the sex determinism at this time with various sex hormones (see
	work by Money at Johns Hopkins).

4)	The factor that "makes a male" is located on the Y chromosome (or,
	rather, the factor that starts the process).  It is thought that this
	gene is at the very tip of the Y chromosome, as there are XX males
	who have this small fragment of Y chromosome attached to a normal X
	chromosome.

5)	During meiosis, the X and Y chromosome will pair up to a certain
	extent.  No doubt, this is needed to assure that the proper number
	of chromosomes are in each daughter cell.  While autosomal chromosomes
	(not the sex ones) pair as =======, the X and Y will pair as
	-------v-- (X chromosome on the left, Y on the right in this diagram,
	with a very small area pairing).

I will be glad to expand on any of these.

--

Ted H. Emigh     Genetics and Statistics, North Carolina State U, Raleigh  NC
USENET:	{akgua decvax duke ihnp4 unc}!mcnc!ecsvax!emigh