[net.bio] Identical twins and handedness

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (08/20/85)

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) writes:

>My wife is left-handed, but
>her identical twin is right-handed... figure that one out!

Actually, I have heard that this is not uncommon among identical
twins.  One twin will be a mirror image of the other.  I remember
a book that showed pictures of twin's heads, with the hair growing
in whorls in opposite directions.

Does anyone know why this happens?  Are fingerprints reversed?
Come to think of it, are fingerprints the same on identical twins?
Why does this happen only sometimes?

--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

        Your god may be dead, but mine aren't.

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (08/21/85)

> Come to think of it, are fingerprints the same on identical twins?
>                                      Sue Brezden

From Levitan and Montague, "Textbook of Human Genetics" (2/e).
"The digital, palmar and plantar ridge counts and dermal patterns on
homolateral limbs tend to be strikingly alike in twins. ... Monozygous
[one egg - identical] twins may, however, differ very appreciably in
their dermatoglyphic traits owing, presumably, to factors operative
upon them during development."
The discussion does mention that sometimes identical twins do have
identical dermal patterns, and that identical dermal patterns does
show that the twins are identical.
--henry schaffer

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (08/21/85)

In article <233@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) writes:
>>
>>My wife is left-handed, but
>>her identical twin is right-handed... figure that one out!
>>

>Actually, I have heard that this is not uncommon among identical
>twins.  One twin will be a mirror image of the other.  I remember
>a book that showed pictures of twin's heads, with the hair growing
>in whorls in opposite directions.
>
>Does anyone know why this happens?  Are fingerprints reversed?
>Come to think of it, are fingerprints the same on identical twins?
>Why does this happen only sometimes?

My understanding (based on the human medical genetics class I took in
college a few years back) is that handedness is determined, not by
chromosomal genes, but by genetic material in the cytoplasm of the ovum.
(This was called "the maternal effect" or something similar by our
professor.)  Since there is no mechanism to make sure everything in the
cytoplasm of one cell is split evenly between the two daughter cells (or
rather, since no such mechanism was known at the time I took the course),
it is possible for the fertilized egg to split "unevenly".  In the case
of twins, when the fertilized egg separated into two cells, and the two
cells separated into two separate zygotes, the genetic material in the
cytoplasm may have been different, resulting in differences in
handedness, hair whorls, and so on.

(Of course, I freely admit this information is based on recollection,
and may be incorrect or out of date.)

		charli

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (08/22/85)

A recent article in SCIENCE (18 Aug 85) indicates left-handed and
ambidextrous persons have a larger corpus callosum than right-handers.
The corpus callosum is the structure that connects the hemispheres.  One
possibility is that in left-handers and the ambidextrous, brain function
is not as specialized between the two hemispheres of the brain, so more
interhemispheric communication is needed.  This would suggest that in
twins with different handedness, their brains would be quite
significantly different.

Nature-vs-nurture studies involving twins have tended to assume
identical twins have the same "nature" (so any observed difference
would presumably be due to environmental factors).  If it is true that
identical twins tend to have different handedness, this assumption may
be invalid.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706