[net.bio] anti RNA reverse transcriptase as HTLV therapy

jrd@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Jim Davis) (10/09/85)

Can someone say whether a human needs to have any RNA
reverse-transciptase?  If not, could one not design an enzyme specially
made to disable it, and inhibit HTLV by placing large amounts of said
enzyme in one's body?  I suppose you'd need to have some "friendly"
infectious organism in order to synthesize the quantities needed.  Is
recombinant technology anywhere near able to do this?

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (10/09/85)

> Can someone say whether a human needs to have any RNA
> reverse-transciptase?  If not, could one not design an enzyme specially
> made to disable it, and inhibit HTLV by placing large amounts of said
> enzyme in one's body?  I suppose you'd need to have some "friendly"
> infectious organism in order to synthesize the quantities needed.  Is
> recombinant technology anywhere near able to do this?

A number of new drugs (and some old ones--e.g., suramin, long used in the
treatment of trypanosomiasis) inhibit RNA reverse-transscriptase and are
presently undergoing clinical trials.  Enzymes aren't necessarily needed;
lots of simple (well, simple compared to enzymes) compounds bind to
enzymes and render them inactive.

One problem with such treatments, at least at the stage of the disease
where they are being administered now, is that although HTLV-III might no
longer be isolated from the patient, the T-cell situation does not seem to
improve.
--
/Steve Dyer
{harvard,seismo}!bbnccv!bbncc5!sdyer

zben@umcp-cs.UUCP (Ben Cranston) (10/11/85)

In article <17@mit-amt.MIT.EDU> jrd@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Jim Davis) writes:
>Can someone say whether a human needs to have any RNA
>reverse-transciptase?  If not, could one not design an enzyme specially
>made to disable it, and inhibit HTLV by placing large amounts of said
>enzyme in one's body?  I suppose you'd need to have some "friendly"
>infectious organism in order to synthesize the quantities needed.  Is
>recombinant technology anywhere near able to do this?

And just how long would it take for HTLV to evolve a functional reverse-
transcriptase that evaded your putative new enzyme?  This same phenomenon
is happening with antibiotic-resistant microbes, although the plasmid
scheme for distributing the new genes makes it even more dangerous.

Very good thought though.  I think we need to think about the relative
efficiencies of USING evolution, or at least recognizing that evolution has
done a much better job of structuring US than we could hope to do manually.

Then again, I'd hate to have to wait 100,000 years for a cure for AIDS...

--
Ben Cranston   ...seismo!umcp-cs!zben      zben@umd2.ARPA

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (10/12/85)

	When several months ago I posted the list of anti-AIDS drugs to
net.med, 5 out of 6 of the ones I mentioned were anti-reverse transcriptase
inhibitors (Reverse Transcriptase, which converts RNA to double stranded
DNA is found only in retroviruses.)
	The problems are 1) it only inhibits the virus, doesn't kill it, since
once the virus is established in humans, it doesn't need RT.
	and 2) the drugs have many side effects, including liver toxicity.
For instance, Rock Hudson almost died in France from liver failure caused by
the HPA-23 he was taking to slow AIDS.

--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner