[net.bio] AIDS Research - Antiviral Drugs

shiue@h-sc1.UUCP (steve shiue) (12/13/85)

	In a discussion with my roommate last spring, it occurred to me that
one useful line of therapy against AIDS and other retroviruses would be to
develop drugs that SELECTIVELY inhibit reverse trascriptase, the enzyme that
such viruses use to convert their RNA genomes into DNA that can be
incorporated into eukaryotic chromosomes.  As far as I can tell, there is no
eukaryotic counterpart to this virus.  Of course, it immediately occurred to
me that actual scientists must have been researching this already, and I've
heard that at least some of the experimental French drugs being developed and
tested employ this strategy (I know that this wouldn't remove the infection
but only check its spread).  If anyone can tell me what the names of these
drugs are, if they exist, and how effective and selective they are, I would
really appreciate it - I'm too busy reading other research for school to track
this down.
	In addition, my roommate mentioned that mosquitoes might possibly
provide suitable vectors for the spread of the disease - I've heard that this
has been looked into in some towns in Florida with AIDS victims not in the
"high risk" groups.  Does anyone know anything about this?

			-Steve Shiue

"I don't make monkeys.  I only train them!"
	-P.W. Herman

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (12/14/85)

This was asked a few months ago on net.bio.  There are a few reverse
transcriptase inhibitors being tested: one of them, suramin, is an old drug
used for trypanosomiasis.  Many of them (including suramin) have rather
toxic side-effects, probably because their ability to inhibit enzymes isn't
limited to viral reverse transcriptase.  Also, most people with AIDS are
already suffering the effects of successful viral attack; I guess you'd
really like to treat with such drugs during the initial infection, which so
far seems asymptomatic.
--
/Steve Dyer
{harvard,seismo}!bbnccv!bbncc5!sdyer

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (12/17/85)

In article <835@h-sc1.UUCP> shiue@h-sc1.UUCP (steve shiue) writes:

>	In addition, my roommate mentioned that mosquitoes might possibly
>provide suitable vectors for the spread of the disease - I've heard that this
>has been looked into in some towns in Florida with AIDS victims not in the
>"high risk" groups.  Does anyone know anything about this?

	Quote from Laurence,Jeffrey, 1985, The Immune system in AIDS,
		Scientific American,Dec.,vol.253,no.6,p.84-93.

	"The groups at highest risk for infection have become
	increasingly well defined; they include homosexual and
	bisexual men, abusers of injected drugs, the sexual
	partners of people in AIDS risk groups, and children born
	of mothers at risk. Recipients of blood transfusions and blood
	products have also contracted AIDS, but screening of
	donated blood for evidence of infection has drastically
	reduced their risk. The fact that the disease shows
	*NO SIGN* of spreading beyond those groups, except to
	predictable targets such as women who are artificially
	inseminated from infected donors, indicates that the
	virus is ONLY transmitted through the blood or through
	sexual intercourse. *ALL EPIDEMIOLOGIC EVIDENCE INDICATES
	THAT FOOD, WATER, INSECTS AND CASUAL CONTACT DO NO SPREAD
	AIDS."

	This is a good article on how this virus affects the immune
	system in great detail. The one thing of note that has
	come out of the studies is that it "appears that the total
	collapse of the immune defenses in AIDS victims stems
	largely from a single defect : a reduction in the number
	and a change in the function of the T4 lymphocytes, one
	of the many distinct kinds of cells that make upthe immune
	system." Some how it seem incrediable how the bodies defenses
	can collapse from the failure of just one element.

	P.M.Pincha-Wagener

werner@aecom.UUCP (12/18/85)

> 	In a discussion with my roommate last spring, it occurred to me that
> one useful line of therapy against AIDS and other retroviruses would be to
> develop drugs that SELECTIVELY inhibit reverse trascriptase, the enzyme that

	5 out of the 6 drugs approved for clinical trials are as you describe.
An old posting of mine listed them and their stages of trial.
	There are a few problems:
	1. Selectivity is a relative term -- these drugs are incredibly
toxic.
	2. Once the virus has become resident in the cells of the immune
system, ReverseT becomes dispensable.
	3. There is so far little demonstration that stopping the spread of
the virus actually improves the clinical disease.  Consider the trial in
France with Cyclosporin -- the virus disappeared in the two weeks prior to
the Press conference AND all three patients died in the week following.

--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

jrc@ritcv.UUCP (James R. Carbin) (12/21/85)

> In article <835@h-sc1.UUCP> shiue@h-sc1.UUCP (steve shiue) writes:
> >
> >	In addition, my roommate mentioned that mosquitoes might possibly
> >provide suitable vectors for the spread of the disease - I've heard that this
> >has been looked into in some towns in Florida with AIDS victims not in the
> >"high risk" groups.  Does anyone know anything about this?
>
> 	Quote from Laurence,Jeffrey, 1985, The Immune system in AIDS,
> 		Scientific American,Dec.,vol.253,no.6,p.84-93.
>
> 	"The groups at highest risk for infection have become
> 	increasingly well defined; they include homosexual and
> 	bisexual men, abusers of injected drugs, the sexual
> 	partners of people in AIDS risk groups, and children born
> 	of mothers at risk. Recipients of blood transfusions and blood
> 	products have also contracted AIDS, but screening of
> 	donated blood for evidence of infection has drastically
> 	reduced their risk. The fact that the disease shows
> 	*NO SIGN* of spreading beyond those groups, except to
> 	predictable targets such as women who are artificially
> 	inseminated from infected donors, indicates that the
> 	virus is ONLY transmitted through the blood or through
> 	sexual intercourse. *ALL EPIDEMIOLOGIC EVIDENCE INDICATES
> 	THAT FOOD, WATER, INSECTS AND CASUAL CONTACT DO NO SPREAD
> 	AIDS."
>
> 	This is a good article on how this virus affects the immune
> 	system in great detail. The one thing of note that has
> 	come out of the studies is that it "appears that the total
> 	collapse of the immune defenses in AIDS victims stems
> 	largely from a single defect : a reduction in the number
> 	and a change in the function of the T4 lymphocytes, one
> 	of the many distinct kinds of cells that make upthe immune
> 	system." Some how it seem incrediable how the bodies defenses
> 	can collapse from the failure of just one element.
>
> 	P.M.Pincha-Wagener

While this reply posting is quite informative, part of what is stated
can either be disputed or criticized as misleading.

From the document, "Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 100 Questions
and Answers,"  published by the Department of Health, New York State,
Dr. David Axelrod, M.D. Commissioner, dated October 24,1985, the following
excerpts are extracted without permission.

"Who is at risk for AIDS?
During the five years in which AIDS has been recognized and studied,
approximately 95 percent of AIDS cases nationally have occurred among the
following groups of people:
73% - sexually active homosexuals and bisexual men *WITH MULTIPLE PARTNERS*
      (emphasis are mine - A nurse with the State Department of Health involved
       in the testing for the HTLV-III virus anti-bodies stated, 'We now feel
       that we have done a disservice to many homosexuals by automatically
       placing them in the high-risk category.  The high-risk category should
       have included some consideration of the sexual practices of the
       individual not just the fact that they are homosexual.')

From a separate document included with the first named publication,
(and again reproduced without permission),

                   GUIDELINES FOR PREVENTION OF HTLV-III
                            TRANSMISSION/TRANSFER

Reducing risk of transmission through altering certain sex practices.....

UNSAFE

     These activities involve tissue trauma and/or exchange of body fluids
which may transfer the HTLV-III virus or other microbes.  These practices
carry high risk:

     - Fellatio
          The swallowing of semen, which can contain the HTLV-III virus,
       is considered a high risk.
     - Vaginal intercourse  (as stated in the original posting)
     - Analingus (Oral contact with the rectum)
     - "Fisting"
     - Anal Intercourse (whether homosexual or heterosexual)
       (Included in the "100 Questions and Answers," 'Some cases of AIDS
       have been transmitted from an infected male to a female, and it is
       not known to what extent anal intercourse was involved.')

I would like to add that the State of New York has a multi-faceted program to
not only identify individuals who have been exposed to the virus (with
total and complete anonymity assured), but to reduce the incidence and
spread of the disease.  There is a State Health Department Hotline
(1-800-462-1884), which provides up-to-date information about AIDS.
Eight regional HTLV-III antibody test sites have been established by the
N.Y.S. Health Department to provide testing and counseling for persons
who wish to know if they have been exposed to the virus.  Testing is free
of charge at these sites, and strict confidentiality is maintained through
the use of a code system.  Persons seeking the the HTLV-III antibody test
need not give a name, address, or any other potentially identifying information.
N.Y.S. is spending $1.6 million annually to fund regional task forces and other
community service organizations that provide educational and outreach services
associated with AIDS.  In addition, N.Y.S. presently allocates annually more
funding for AIDS research than for any other specific disease except cancer.

jr        {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!jrc

mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) (12/23/85)

++
> Consider the trial in
> France with Cyclosporin -- the virus disappeared in the two weeks prior to
> the Press conference AND all three patients died in the week following.
> 				Craig Werner

I may be getting this confused, but was the Cyclosporin trial the one a
couple months ago that was controversial because the drug is usually given
to reduce the power of the immune system (when it is attacking the body
itself for some reason)?  There was a lot of press over the ethics of calling
a press conference to get fast attention instead of the usual route of
journal publication.  If I am confusing this with another drug, then what was
the result of that?

-Mark

kbb@faron.UUCP (Kenneth B. Bass) (12/23/85)

I have heard, from an M.D., that a new drug has been discovered [in the US]
that inhibits the reproduction of the HTLV III virus >> with very
minor sideaffects << (ie., non-toxic unlike the French drug).  It was
announced at a conference of 3000 physicians (but apparently not to the
public - this was not long after the French doctors announced their cure).

This drug does not actually kill the virus, only keeps the virus's
DNA from reproducing. Therefore, it must be taken continuously.  Also,
it cannot fix any damages already caused by the virus.  The drug will
go into testing as soon as enough of it can be produced - probably around
the middle of Jan. '86.

This is about all I have heard of it. Anyone have any more information
about this?

				"Tell me why"
				ken bass
				linus!faron!kbb