[net.bio] Originally aspirin; now tinnitus

wmartin@brl-smoke.ARPA (Will Martin ) (01/16/86)

Speaking of tinnitus, I was wondering if someone could either verify or
disprove the statement I have heard, "Every time you hear a ringing in
your ear, that means a nerve cell is dying." (Referring here to real
tinnitus, not your telephone ringing, of course. :-)

Since I perceive brief tinnitus maybe about twice a week or so, not
enough to bother but only noticeable in a quiet room, I do wonder if the
satement is true, and some nerve cell in my inner ear has chosen that
instant to die, thereby decreasing my hearing capability. I hope that it
is not true, but that this minor tinnitus is caused by some other factor
and indicates no permanent failures. However, I do not know.

I have had a period of severe tinnitus after exposure to large amounts of
gunfire without ear protection; I suppose that single episode did damage
my hearing. However, that period lasted for several days and was quite
noticeable; the kinds of random tinnitus I refer to above last only for
some seconds and do not follow any loud noises (as I said, they can only
be detected in a quiet room).

Regards,
Will Martin

UUCP/USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin   or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (01/16/86)

In article <617@brl-smoke.ARPA>, wmartin@brl-smoke.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
> Speaking of tinnitus, I was wondering if someone could either verify or
> disprove the statement I have heard, "Every time you hear a ringing in
> your ear, that means a nerve cell is dying."

I think this is not the case.  (Hoping that his grey cells are not
playing games with him by dying, he presses on :-)  I remember an
article in Scientific American (?) a few years ago about the structure
of the inner ear.  The implication was that ringing was perhaps caused
by a small structure at the nerve end 'leaking' ions.  Physical damage
to this structure, or chemical induced changes, increased 'leakage' and
resulted in tinnitus.  The structures were related to the 'hair' cells
in the organ of corti (I think...).

Thats how I remember it.  Does anyone a) have the article or b) have
a better, newer, more accurate explanation?
--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.