thanks in advance,
dan davison
uucp...decvax!philabs!sbcs!bnl44!davison
bitnet bchs6 at uhupvm1.bitnet
arpa: davison at sumex-aim, davison at bnl44

and from the laws of the laboratory, the non-reciprocal laws of expectation:
positive expectations yield negative results
negative expectations yield negative results
...this happened to me throughout grad school (*sigh*, and now, too)

> I was told some time ago (or possibly read) that high doses of aspirin
> inhibit oxidative phosphorylation.
> Is this true?
> For arthritis-related reasons I sometimes take 5 or 6 aspirin at one time
> (yes, I *know* that's a bad idea) but is the resulting fatigue due to my
> mitochondria getting annoyed?

	The major pharmacological action of aspirin is inhibition of various
prostagladins, resulting in:

1.	Diminished perception of pain, since prostaglandins are believed to
	sensitive nerve endings to the pain-producing effects of bradykinin.

2.	Reducing body temperature (antipyretic effect) since prostaglandins
	E1 ans E2 are used for temperature regulation.

	In addition, aspirin is known to:

1.	Uncouple oxidative phosphorylation [you're right], resulting in
	increased oxygen consumption.

2.	Inhibit synthesis of mucopolysaccharides.

3.	Affect thyroid function by interfering with the binding of thyroxine
	by plasma proteins.

4.	Lower blood sugar levels and deplete liver glycogen.

5.	Upset acid-base balance in excessive dosages, resulting in respiratory
	alkalosis in some circumstances, and metabolic acidosis in others
	(usually infants and young children, though).

	I don't you why you feel tired, but with dosages as you have indicated,
it could very well be more than one of the above reasons.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                          burl!gladys!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (01/07/86)

In article <688@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> > I was told some time ago (or possibly read) that high doses of aspirin
> > inhibit oxidative phosphorylation.
> 	The major pharmacological action of aspirin is inhibition of various
> prostagladins, resulting in:

... list of effects ...

Not listed was another:  aspirin sensitizes the inner ear to nerve
damage and deafness.  If you take lots of aspirin, don't go to loud
places!! The length of time you need to be exposed and the loudness
to which you must be exposed to cause deafness are reduced.
Why?  I don't know.
--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (01/08/86)

> Not listed was another:  aspirin sensitizes the inner ear to nerve
> damage and deafness.  If you take lots of aspirin, don't go to loud
> places!! The length of time you need to be exposed and the loudness
> to which you must be exposed to cause deafness are reduced.
> Why?  I don't know.

In fact, a symptom that you are taking too much aspirin is that your ears
start ringing.
--
jcpatilla

"If we can send a man to the moon, why can't we send all of them ?"

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (01/10/86)

> 	The major pharmacological action of aspirin is inhibition of various
> prostagladins, resulting in:

	Actually the direct action of Aspirin is two-fold. For the first 15
minutes, it is Acetysalicylic Acid and it irreversibly inhibits an enzyme called
Cyclooxygenase - the first step in Prostaglandin synthesis.  For the rest of
the time it is in the body as Salicylic Acid, and it inhibits the 2nd step
on the pathway to Leukotrienes (which are involved in imflammation).  As it
turns out, the built up precursor continues to inhibit cyclooxygenase and
prevent prostaglandin production.
	This dual action, incidentally, is why Aspirin, unlike Tylenol, is
both an analgesic and an anti-imflammatory, and the irreversible part (in
platelets) is why one Aspirin a day can prevent 2nd heart attacks. (Data is
not in for 1st ones yet.)

	The end effects have been previously described by Lippman

--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) (01/12/86)

Aspirin will also keep your cut flowers fresh.  Just crumble
up a tablet and dissolve it in the water.  --Barry Kort

> >     The major pharmacological action of aspirin is inhibition of various
> > prostagladins, resulting in:
> ... list of effects ...
>
> Not listed was another:  aspirin sensitizes the inner ear to nerve
> damage and deafness.  If you take lots of aspirin, don't go to loud
> places!! The length of time you need to be exposed and the loudness
> to which you must be exposed to cause deafness are reduced.
> Why?  I don't know.

        The effect of aspirin is that of producing "ringing" in the ears,
which is properly called tinnitus (not to be confused with tinea cruris :-) ).
Aspirin - and other drugs like quinine, streptomycin, neomycin - cause tinnitus
by irritating (and injuring) hair cells and nerve cells in the spiral ganglion
of Corti in the inner ear.
        I believe that tinnitus caused by aspirin and other drugs generally
disappears following discontinuance of the drug - unless excessive dosages
were used which caused irreversible nerve cell injury.  However, having this
type of tinnitus should not make the ear more susceptible to damage from loud
sound.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

> > 	The major pharmacological action of aspirin is inhibition of various
> > prostagladins, resulting in:
>
> 	Actually the direct action of Aspirin is two-fold. For the first 15
> minutes, it is Acetysalicylic Acid and irreversibly inhibits an enzyme called
> Cyclooxygenase - the first step in Prostaglandin synthesis.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	Is cyclooxygenase the same as prostaglandin synthetase?  That actually
is the enzyme responsible for prostaglandin synthesis from arachidonic acid?
	I'll feel better if it's the same.  My formal education in biochemistry
stopped 15 years ago, and I am constantly frustrated by changing biochemical
nomenclature when I get involved in clinical instrumentation projects.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (01/15/86)

In article <704@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> > > 	The major pharmacological action of aspirin is inhibition of various
> > > prostagladins, resulting in:
> > ... list of effects ...
> >
> > Not listed was another:  aspirin sensitizes the inner ear to nerve
> > damage and deafness.  If you take lots of aspirin, don't go to loud
> > places!! The length of time you need to be exposed and the loudness
> > to which you must be exposed to cause deafness are reduced.
> > Why?  I don't know.
>
> 	The effect of aspirin is that of producing "ringing" in the ears,
> which is properly called tinnitus (not to be confused with tinea cruris :-) ).
> Aspirin - and other drugs like quinine, streptomycin, neomycin - cause tinnitus
> by irritating (and injuring) hair cells and nerve cells in the spiral ganglion
> of Corti in the inner ear.
> 	I believe that tinnitus caused by aspirin and other drugs generally
> disappears following discontinuance of the drug - unless excessive dosages
> were used which caused irreversible nerve cell injury.  However, having this
> type of tinnitus should not make the ear more susceptible to damage from loud
> sound.
The tinnitus may or may not be related to the increased susceptiblity
of the inner ear to damage.  I cannot speak to that.  It is true,
however, that aspirin *DOES* increase the susceptiblity of the
inner ear to damage by *high sound levels*.  (Source?  My M.D. when
warning me about things that might further damage my already
reduced hearing...).

--

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (01/23/86)

> > Cyclooxygenase - the first step in Prostaglandin synthesis.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 	Is cyclooxygenase the same as prostaglandin synthetase?  That actually
> is the enzyme responsible for prostaglandin synthesis from arachidonic acid?
> 	I'll feel better if it's the same.  My formal education in biochemistry
> stopped 15 years ago, and I am constantly frustrated by changing biochemical
> nomenclature when I get involved in clinical instrumentation projects.
>==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==

	No, cyclooxygenase is the first step, from Arachodonic Acid, to PG-G
and PG-H, prostaglandin synthetases are the second step enzymes, from PG-G/H
to the active ones, PG-E and PG-F, etc..
	Of course, some people refer to all of them are Prostaglandin
Synthetase, life can be confusing sometimes.
--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner