[net.bio] Book review: "The Evidence of the Senses"

In article <8607010528.AA20030@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> eyal@wisdom.BITNET (Eyal mozes) writes:
>            "The Evidence of the Senses" by David Kelley
>       Louisiana State University Press, 1986, 262 pp., $27.50
>       -------------------------------------------------------
>"The Evidence of the Senses: a Realist Theory of Perception" is a
>comprehensive philosophical treatment of perception, integrating
>classical and recent work in philosophy and psychology.  ...
>
>Chapters 2 through 5 apply this principle to perception. Chapter 2
>deals with the relation between perception and sensation; Dr. Kelley
>challenges the "sensationalist" approach - including its modern
>"computational" version - which claims that perception is a process of
>inference on sensations; he provides philosophical support for James
>Gibson's theory of "direct perception" - which holds that external
>objects are perceived directly, and that perception is a distinct form
>of awareness, not composed out of sensation - and answers the major
>criticisms against Gibson.

Fascinating.  I had originally run into "direct perception" as
an old theological concept ... something that God and spiritual
critters had, and sinful man didn't.  Now it's being run up the
Humanist flagpole as an attribute of mankind.  If I run into this
book, I may pick it up.  The argumentative technique at least seems
worth looking at, if it's all this reviewer credits it as being.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet domainised)