[net.bio] electrocardiograph

rogert@vaxwaller.UUCP (Roger Tong) (08/27/86)

Can anyone point me to some references on amplifiers and associated
circuitry that will allow me to monitor pulse rate? if there exists
any off the shelf items that can do this, all the better.

thanks
rogert

jdk@psivax.UUCP (Jeff Konopka) (09/03/86)

In article <527@vaxwaller.UUCP> rogert@vaxwaller.UUCP (Roger Tong) writes:
>Can anyone point me to some references on amplifiers and associated
>circuitry that will allow me to monitor pulse rate? if there exists
>any off the shelf items that can do this, all the better.

The Burr-Brown catalog has some suggestions of how to build EKG amplifiers.
The biggest problem you will encounter will be 60Hz noise.
You are looking for 2mV p-p signals.

                   but....

If you are going to build your own circuit to display your EKG,
be careful that your circuit is
		FULLY ISOLATED
so that you don't go hooking yourself up to a hot 110V line.
Use of batteries will not guarantee isolation from a ground fault if you
interface directly to a CRT or a scope or  any other device that gets its
power from the line. Use an isolation amplifier or an optoisolator, and
use a DC/DC converter if you plan to power the amplifier from a line powered
power supply.

If however you are simply looking for something that monitors just heart
rate, those are comercially available from Sears.

                Jeff Konopka
           Pacesetter Systems Inc.
        {sdcrdcf|ihnp4}! psivax!jdk

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (09/04/86)

In article <527@vaxwaller.UUCP>, rogert@vaxwaller.UUCP (Roger Tong) writes:
> Can anyone point me to some references on amplifiers and associated
> circuitry that will allow me to monitor pulse rate? if there exists
> any off the shelf items that can do this, all the better.

You probably don't want to use an electrocardiagraph style circuit.
They are extremely subject to patient movement etc...when used to
measure pulse.  A better system uses a photoelectric sensor that attaches
to an ear or finger.  It's pretty simple, I've seen do-it-yourself kits
(possibly available from places like Radio-Shack) to do this.  Edmund
Scientific has a whole pile of these sensors in their shop.  They are
a bunch of old pacemaker followup kits in little wooden boxes.  It includes
a batter holder, the sensor and a cheap modem that signals the information
over a 800 number that the patient is supposed to call.  I bought two
but I haven't bothered to try to do anything yet.

-Ron