[net.micro.trs-80] Quality of AT&T Documentation

res@ihuxn.UUCP (Rich Strebendt) (11/28/84)

| Nope.  Microsoft is at least third, since AT&T is in there.  My experience
| with derivative UN*X documentation (i.e., not straight from AT&T) is that
| is much less well typeset and printed (frequently offset reproduction of
| daisywheel output), but that its content is always a tiny (note the word well)
| improvement on what AT&T shipped.  This is not surprising, since there is
| only one direction one can go when starting from AT&T documentation.

As a person in the AT&T organization responsible for developing the
AT&T 3B2 and 3B5 Computers, I am seriously interested in this comment.
What I am looking for from the author of the above comment (and from
anyone else who has constructive input) are some suggestions that I
can pass along, to the people here who are responsible to some extent
for the AT&T documentation for the 3B2 and 3B5 Computers, as to how
to improve that documentation.

It is difficult in written communication to get across the fact that I
am sincere in this request and am not being sarcastic or condescending.
If you can tell me where your expectations for the contents or the
presentation of the material in the documents were not realized, I
would like to pass this information along to make the next iteration of
the documentation better.  I do know that a lot of effort has gone into
the design of the documents and into proofreading and error checking
the contents.  I also realize that nothing is perfect.

Please direct constructive criticism to me at the net address or the
U. S. Mail address below.

					Rich Strebendt
					...!ihnp4!ihuxn!res

					AT&T Bell Laboratories
					Room 2F-426
					1100 East Warrenville Road
					Naperville,  IL    60566

lmm@teddy.UUCP (Linda M. McInnis) (11/29/84)

In article <887@ihuxn.UUCP> res@ihuxn.UUCP (Rich Strebendt) writes:

>| Nope.  Microsoft is at least third, since AT&T is in there.  My experience
>| with derivative UN*X documentation (i.e., not straight from AT&T) is that
>| is much less well typeset and printed (frequently offset reproduction of
>| daisywheel output), but that its content is always a tiny (note the word well)
>| improvement on what AT&T shipped.  This is not surprising, since there is
>| only one direction one can go when starting from AT&T documentation.
>
>As a person in the AT&T organization responsible for developing the
>AT&T 3B2 and 3B5 Computers, I am seriously interested in this comment.
>What I am looking for from the author of the above comment (and from
>anyone else who has constructive input) are some suggestions that I
>can pass along, to the people here who are responsible to some extent
>for the AT&T documentation for the 3B2 and 3B5 Computers, as to how
>to improve that documentation.
>
>It is difficult in written communication to get across the fact that I
>am sincere in this request and am not being sarcastic or condescending.
>If you can tell me where your expectations for the contents or the
>presentation of the material in the documents were not realized, I
>would like to pass this information along to make the next iteration of
>the documentation better.  I do know that a lot of effort has gone into
>the design of the documents and into proofreading and error checking
>the contents.  I also realize that nothing is perfect.
>
>Please direct constructive criticism to me at the net address or the
>U. S. Mail address below.
>
>					Rich Strebendt
>					...!ihnp4!ihuxn!res
>
>					AT&T Bell Laboratories
>					Room 2F-426
>					1100 East Warrenville Road
>					Naperville,  IL    60566

To: genrad!decvax!harpo!whuxlm!whuxl!houxm!ihnp4!ihuxn!res
Subject: Re: Quality of AT&T Documentation
Newsgroups: net.micro,net.micro.trs-80
Bcc:

In article <887@ihuxn.UUCP> you write:

>| Nope.  Microsoft is at least third, since AT&T is in there.  My experience
>| with derivative UN*X documentation (i.e., not straight from AT&T) is that
>| is much less well typeset and printed (frequently offset reproduction of
>| daisywheel output), but that its content is always a tiny (note the word well)
>| improvement on what AT&T shipped.  This is not surprising, since there is
>| only one direction one can go when starting from AT&T documentation.
>
>As a person in the AT&T organization responsible for developing the
>AT&T 3B2 and 3B5 Computers, I am seriously interested in this comment.
>What I am looking for from the author of the above comment (and from
>anyone else who has constructive input) are some suggestions that I
>can pass along, to the people here who are responsible to some extent
>for the AT&T documentation for the 3B2 and 3B5 Computers, as to how
>to improve that documentation.
>
>It is difficult in written communication to get across the fact that I
>am sincere in this request and am not being sarcastic or condescending.
>If you can tell me where your expectations for the contents or the
>presentation of the material in the documents were not realized, I
>would like to pass this information along to make the next iteration of
>the documentation better.  I do know that a lot of effort has gone into
>the design of the documents and into proofreading and error checking
>the contents.  I also realize that nothing is perfect.
>
>Please direct constructive criticism to me at the net address or the
>U. S. Mail address below.
>
>					Rich Strebendt
>					...!ihnp4!ihuxn!res
>
>					AT&T Bell Laboratories
>					Room 2F-426
>					1100 East Warrenville Road
>					Naperville,  IL    60566

I've re-written at least three separate sets of UNIX manuals
over my career as a tech. writer.  Some of the problems involved are:

	UNIX manual page sources are never updated!!!  Most date
		from 1979.  Corrections for known bugs are never
		made or included.

	The instructions for using the manual documentation commands
		are missing or cryptic.

	Programmers are nefarious for deleting documentation from
		the source tapes.  Thus you have to begin from
		scratch or "borrow" source from another UNIX machine.

	Good Documentation takes time and money.  For example, at
		my last client's company, I was "in charge" of UNIX
		documentation.  NOTHING had been done for 2 years on
		documentation and I was brought in 3 months before they
		shipped their product to document UNIX and their hard-
		ware!!!  I wasn't given a list of supported commands
		until 6 weeks before ship.  Since it takes 3-6 weeks
		to runoff, pasteup, and print a UNIX manual, it didn't
		leave much time to produce quality documentation.

Some suggestions I have are:

	Plan ahead.  Good documentation takes at least 60% as long as
	the product to develop.  Your writers should be assigned to
	the project as soon as there is a commitment to the product.

	Write instructions for the tech. writer about the use of the
	man macro package and what it can and can't do.  Include these
	with the man pages.

	Generate documentation tools for the programmers.  One system
	I helped develop had a control on placing source code into
	certain directories that would notify me when a new program
	was inserted.  Another system I worked on used a shell script
	to prompt for entries and set up the manual page with nroff
	commands then placed a copy in my to-be-edited directory.

	Make sure programmers/developers realize that it is part
	of their responsibility to provide tech. writers with the
	information necessary to write good documentation.  This
	includes tested examples of the use of every command.

	Don't sell the documentation short.  UNIX is very well
	documented-unfortunately in about 7000 places.  The
	organization of the manual is one tremendous problem.

	UNIX documentation was written for gurus not "average"
	users-many people have been making a bundle of money
	explaining UNIX to "naive" and average users.  I'd
	suggest you survey the successful UNIX books, buy the
	rights to a couple, edit them for technical accuracy
	pertaining to special features of your machine and put them
	out as introductions under your covers.

I'm glad to see that someone does care about documentation of UNIX.
I really enjoy working with UNIX and would like to see a good
set of manuals come from AT & T.

Sorry for the rant, this topic sets me off sometimes.  I've
worked very hard for about six or seven years to promote
the following idea.

What do you get when you buy a computer system??

	Hardware
	Software
	Manuals

That tells me that documentation is at least a third
of the product.  Shouldn't it get at least a third of
the resources dedicated to the product development??
And shouldn't the people who write documentation have the
same level of credentials and be treated with as much respect
as those who generate the code??

If you'd like to chat about this sometime, my phone number is
(617) 862-6761.  My electronic mail address until the end of
December, 1984 is:   genrad!teddy!lmm

Flames are welcome: I love electronic mail.
Linda M. McInnis
--
	Linda M. McInnis  USENET:    genrad!teddy!lmm

	"I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."