[net.micro.trs-80] Where to find GAMES?

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (05/25/85)

I remember the good old days, when everyone was turning out games in great
profusion for the old TRS Mod I/III.  The Program Store ads, announcing
every new Big Five game, with discounts to go with it...

But where can I find games these days?  I mean, even the Program Store told
me, "Sorry, but our distributor sources just sort of dried up..."
I never got Weerd!, and I never saw the TRS version of Miner 2049er...

So, what I'm asking, does anyone out there who reads this newsgroup know
where I can get good TRS games?  Machine language games are preferable.
Also, I hear that since many of the games are no longer being made, there's
no harm in asking other users for copies.  Is anyone out there willing to
copy stuff to me if there's no supplier left?

And please, could everyone who reads this respond to it, even if you don't
know where to find games?  I want to know how many people are still out there
and connected to this group.

Name:		G. T. Samson
Title:		The Evil MicroWizard
Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
USMail:		Lowell N-43, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

etl@cbscc.UUCP (Eugene T. Levine) (06/04/85)

>From cbsck!cbosgd!ihnp4!mhuxn!mhuxr!ulysses!gamma!epsilon!zeta!sabre
!bellcore!decvax!genrad!panda!talcott!wjh12!gts Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
>From: gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson)
>
>I remember the good old days, when everyone was turning out games in great
>profusion for the old TRS Mod I/III.  The Program Store ads, announcing
>every new Big Five game, with discounts to go with it...
>
>But where can I find games these days?  I mean, even the Program Store told
>me, "Sorry, but our distributor sources just sort of dried up..."
>I never got Weerd!, and I never saw the TRS version of Miner 2049er...
>
>So, what I'm asking, does anyone out there who reads this newsgroup know
>where I can get good TRS games?  Machine language games are preferable.
>Also, I hear that since many of the games are no longer being made, there's
>no harm in asking other users for copies.  Is anyone out there willing to
>copy stuff to me if there's no supplier left?
>
>And please, could everyone who reads this respond to it, even if you don't
>know where to find games?  I want to know how many people are still out there
>and connected to this group.

I happened to see this posting as I was finishing up in 'net.commodore64'.
But don't think I'm one of the other guys, I remember well the many good
times I had with my 16K cassette based TRS-80  (before there was a Mod II
and Apple was the only other guy).  I've watched 80MICRO grow from 100 pages
to 600 and then shrink back to 100 pages.  In the over 4 years of active use
of my machine I acquired several thousand dollars worth of software and spent
many many hours hacking or playing games or being totally engulfed with this
little miracle machine.

But all good things must come to an end... And so too for the MOD I (it's new!
name), kind of sad!.  ANY COMMENTS ON WHAT YOUR FAVORITE GAME OR PIECE OF
SOFTWARE WAS (OR IS!!!).  My favorite game was Cosmic Fighter, or was it
Galaxy Invasion, Alien Defense, or Missile Command, or the classic Scarfman.

				E. T. Levine (Gene)
				ATT Bell Labs
				ihnp4!cbosgd!cbsck!cbscc!etl

Is there anyone out there... Just nod if you can hear me...
Is there anyone at home... Hello.
				(kindof) Pink Floyd

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (06/05/85)

>From: etl@cbscc.UUCP (Eugene T. Levine)
>
>>From cbsck!cbosgd!ihnp4!mhuxn!mhuxr!ulysses!gamma!epsilon!zeta!sabre
>!bellcore!decvax!genrad!panda!talcott!wjh12!gts Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
>>From: gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson)
>>
>>I remember the good old days, when everyone was turning out games in great
>>profusion for the old TRS Mod I/III.  The Program Store ads, announcing
>>every new Big Five game, with discounts to go with it...
>>
>>But where can I find games these days?  I mean, even the Program Store told
>>me, "Sorry, but our distributor sources just sort of dried up..."
>>I never got Weerd!, and I never saw the TRS version of Miner 2049er...
>>
>>So, what I'm asking, does anyone out there who reads this newsgroup know
>>where I can get good TRS games?  Machine language games are preferable.
>>Also, I hear that since many of the games are no longer being made, there's
>>no harm in asking other users for copies.  Is anyone out there willing to
>>copy stuff to me if there's no supplier left?

I've noticed that some of the Big Five games are being sold by Tandy.
Unfortunately, many seem to be the more common titles. My guess is that Big
five has all but pulled out of the Mod I/III market.

By the way, was there ever a Mod I/III version of Miner 2049er? I used to
check all the ads and never saw one.

>I happened to see this posting as I was finishing up in 'net.commodore64'.
>But don't think I'm one of the other guys, I remember well the many good
>times I had with my 16K cassette based TRS-80  (before there was a Mod II
>and Apple was the only other guy).  I've watched 80MICRO grow from 100 pages
>to 600 and then shrink back to 100 pages.  In the over 4 years of active use
>of my machine I acquired several thousand dollars worth of software and spent
>many many hours hacking or playing games or being totally engulfed with this
>little miracle machine.
>
>But all good things must come to an end... And so too for the MOD I (it's new!
>name), kind of sad!.  ANY COMMENTS ON WHAT YOUR FAVORITE GAME OR PIECE OF
>SOFTWARE WAS (OR IS!!!).  My favorite game was Cosmic Fighter, or was it
>Galaxy Invasion, Alien Defense, or Missile Command, or the classic Scarfman.

I always liked A.I.'s Lunar Lander. One of the hardest games I ever found
was Trek 3.5.

For software in general, it's hard to beat good old Scripsit (especially
patched for a particular printer). In some ways, this program set the
standards for the rest.

Microfiles was a very good database program. Much better than Profile I
with its horrid sort.

Omniterm is definately one of the better communications programs. If only
it could have circumvented some of the brain-damage in the ROM, it would
have made for great terminal emulations.

If I seem to speak in the past tense, it's because I have recently
purchased a Tandy 1000 and my Model I is currently in retirement.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (06/07/85)

> But all good things must come to an end... And so too for the MOD I (it's new!
> name), kind of sad!.  ANY COMMENTS ON WHAT YOUR FAVORITE GAME OR PIECE OF
> SOFTWARE WAS (OR IS!!!).

It is indeed sad to think of my reliable ol' Mod-I (16K L-II cassette
and Stringy-Floppy) as hopelessly out-of-date, but it is.  I bought a
C-64 a couple of years ago so I can keep playing games, and use the
Mod-I for "real" computing.  Ya know, even at 1.77 MHz the L-II Basic is
pretty darn quick.  And in assembler the Mod-I can outperform C code on
the VAX/750...

My favorite Mod-I game was Starfighter, by Sparky Starks, distributed
by Adventure International.  What an inspired piece of work -- the game
play is still way advanced beyond anything I've found for the C-64,
but it's a little short on the sound and graphics end :-)

Of course, who could forget the Scott Adams adventure series... I'm
*still* trying to complete #5 (The Count).

While we're reminiscing, anyone remember CLOAD "magazine"?  They had
some fairly good stuff, 'til they folded (taking my $50 renewal fee
before they'd delivered my first renewal "issue").
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{ihnp4,seismo,decvax}!noao!terak!doug
               ^^^^^--- soon to be CalComp

BV3@psuvm.BITNET (06/13/85)

My favorite game was (is?) Asylum.  I've never seen an adventure game for any o
ther system that ran as fast (you can RUN down a hallway), or did as much.  I h
aven't played it recently because I now own a Mod 4.  Asylum doesn't like Model
 III keyboards.