[net.micro.trs-80] TANDY 1000: Request for Info

dimare@ucla-cs.UUCP (08/01/85)

I'm thinking on buying one of these, but I wonder
how compatible it is with an IBM/PC.

Can you buy expansion cards and plug them in?
Can you put an 8087? What about software: would
it run DBase III, Symphony, etc?

I'd like to know which are the 'incompatibilities'.
It surely has a nice price!

	Adolfo
	      ///

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (08/11/85)

> I'm thinking on buying one of these, but I wonder
> how compatible it is with an IBM/PC.
>
> Can you buy expansion cards and plug them in?
> Can you put an 8087? What about software: would
> it run DBase III, Symphony, etc?

The machine is a cross between the PC and the jr.  One BIG compat. problem
has to do with DMA.  The base machine has none, but the memory cards add
DMA circuitry.  The as a result, you can not use any add-in cards with
memory unless you have first added a tandy memory card.  since the machine
only has 3 slots, this is a pain (tandy has no multi-function card for
this beast last time I checked.)

The keyboard is a bit different.  (BTW - they don't have a scroll lock key,
which some packages want (like 1-2-3), but there is a key combo that emulate
it, I forget which).

As a guide to compatibility, Lotus 1-2-3's IBM version can be made to
run on the machine (not well, but functional).  However, the hassles/
problems were significant enough that a migration for the tandy was
done.

With the current price trends for the IBM PC, why not wait until
the next round of price cuts (this fall?? if you believe S.Katt)
and get a 'fully compatible unit'  :-).

--
Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
Development Corp.

Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                                slerner%sesame@harvard.ARPA

scooper@brl-tgr.ARPA (Stephan Cooper ) (08/12/85)

In article 3625 of net.micro.pc:

> as a result, you can not use any add-in cards with
> memory unless you have first added a tandy memory card.  since the machine
> only has 3 slots, this is a pain (tandy has no multi-function card for
> this...

However, there are third party memory boards that DO work.  The one I have
(an MFB1000, by PBJ(tm)) is one such card.  It comes with a clock, the
capacity for 512K more, and an RS232 port.  The machine itself has a built in
printer port, so I still have two slots left (and I have 640K, a printer port,
and an RS232 and a clock).  This is definitely NOT a pain
(This is definitely NOT a flame, either...just an explanation.)

> The keyboard is a bit different.  (BTW - they don't have a scroll lock key,
> which some packages want (like 1-2-3), but there is a key combo that emulate
> it, I forget which).

I noticed this.  Does anyone out there know what the key combo is?

> With the current price trends for the IBM PC, why not wait until
> the next round of price cuts (this fall?? if you believe S.Katt)
> and get a 'fully compatible unit'  :-).

I would recommend the T1000, as it is (and probably always will be, less
expensive, especioally if not bought from a Radio Shack store, but from
a warehouse or computer outlet).

> Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
> Development Corp.

These opinions are mine...

Steve Cooper
scooper@brl-tgr

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (08/17/85)

]From: scooper@brl-tgr.ARPA (Stephan Cooper )
]
]> The keyboard is a bit different.  (BTW - they don't have a scroll lock key,
]> which some packages want (like 1-2-3), but there is a key combo that emulate
]> it, I forget which).
]
]I noticed this.  Does anyone out there know what the key combo is?

A little background for the PC owners and fans-

The keyboard of the Tandy 1000 is an attempt at correcting some of the
"faults" of the IBM PC standard keyboard. In particular it implements a
working scroll lock key (labelled "HOLD"). There is also a seperate key
labelled "BREAK" which is used for the Control-Break sequence.

As stated above, several major packages including Lotus 1-2-3, Framework,
and Sidekick use the IBM's Scroll Lock key for their own purposes. Since
the HOLD key really works, the computer appears to hang rather than execute
the desired function.

Getting around the problem depends on how the key is tested. 1-2-3 and
Sidekick appear to test the ascii code returned by the key. In this case,
the ALT-BREAK combination seems to do the trick. (I assume the Lotus people
will correct me if any of this is wrong.)

Framework, on the other hand, seems to test the scan code. To get around
the problem, it is necessary to install a Tandy-supplied driver
(keycnvrt.sys) which is supplied with MS-Dos for the 1000. The user must
then replace hit the HOLD key followed by the Control-HOLD combo to
simulate pressing the Scroll Lock key. (Note: this solution will NOT work
with 1-2-3, use ALT-BREAK for those programs.)

My two cents:

Do not sell the 1000 short! The machine is definitely one of the most
compatable of the IBM compatables. (I have found it to be more so, in some
ways, than the AT&T 6300's at work.)

Since it has the enhanced video and sound capabilities of the PCjr while
offering such features as PC compaable expansion slots, it is in many ways
the best of both (or all) possible worlds.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

Silly quote:
	Around here we don't have cuisine. We have EATS.