[net.micro.trs-80] Printer advice needed

scooper@brl-tgr.ARPA (Stephan Cooper ) (08/16/85)

I am in the immediate market for a printer.
I have a few requirements that need to be satisfied by this printer.

	1)  Should be relatively fast ( >= 70CPS)
	2)  Changable fonts (condensed, data, letter quality, etc.)
	3)  Super/subscript capability
	4)  IBM compatability
	5)  Dot matrix printing (for graphics)

I would also prefer it to be bi-directional and logic-seeking, but it
is not necessary.

Please mail them to me as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Steve
scooper@brl-tgr

ejy@houxm.UUCP (E.YUREK) (08/21/85)

>I am in the immediate market for a printer.
>I have a few requirements that need to be satisfied by this printer.
>
>	1)  Should be relatively fast ( >= 70CPS)
>	2)  Changable fonts (condensed, data, letter quality, etc.)
>	3)  Super/subscript capability
>	4)  IBM compatability
>	5)  Dot matrix printing (for graphics)
>
>I would also prefer it to be bi-directional and logic-seeking, but it
>is not necessary.
>
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>Please mail them to me as soon as possible.
>
>Thanks,
>Steve
>scooper@brl-tgr

I suggest that you take a serious look at the OKIDATA ML-192 printer.

It costs in the $350.00 price range (at time of posting this article).
It has a near letter quality mode that prints bidirectionally.
I find it hard to tell the difference between this mode and a
daisywheel printer.

Some of its features are:

	- Data processing mode at 160 chars/sec.

	- Emphasized, Enhanced and Expanded characters

	- Subscripting, Superscripting, and Underlining

	- Special character set that appears to contain a GREEK
	  character set

	- 10, 12, and 17.1 Chars/Inch printing modes

	- Bidirectional bit image graphics.

	- Versions available that are compatible with

		+ Apple
		+ IBM
		+ TRS-80

	- Re-inking cartridge ribbon

	- One year warantee that covers parts, labor and printhead

DISCLAIMER: I am not associated in any way with OKIDATA corp.
	    The information contained within is copied from
	    their data sheet.  I have, however, seen the printer
	    in operation, and can attest to the accuracy of the
	    information stated in this article.

Gene Yurek
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Holmdel, N.J. 07733

dmt@mtgzz.UUCP (d.m.tutelman) (08/22/85)

> I am in the immediate market for a printer.
> I have a few requirements that need to be satisfied by this printer.
> 	4)  IBM compatability
> 	5)  Dot matrix printing (for graphics)

BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU MEAN BY "IBM COMPATIBILITY".

A lot of printers will work with the IBM PC, brethren, and clones,
if you buy the proper cable. That's the easy part.  Much harder is
to find one that will work with the APPLICATION SOFTWARE you have.
Find out what printers your favorite software supports, before you
decide on the printer.

The difference is in the control codes and escape sequences that
do stuff like font control.  The set supported by virtually all
software is the control set of the Epson FX-80 (also sold by IBM
with their name on it).  Printers that claim "Epson compatibility"
are more likely to work with your favorite word processor or
poster editor than those merely claiming "IBM compatibility".
And even some that are close otherwise have incompatible graphics;
take, for instance, my Gemini 10X (whose graphic incompatibility
leaves me without a good "paint-type" program to prepare presentation
visuals. Oh sure it does graphics, even higher-res than Epson;
but "better" necessarily means "different").

The best ways to determine REAL compatibility are:

-	Check ALL the software you ever intend to use for the
	printers they support, and buy only from the intersection.

-	If the intersection is null (or unknown; surely you'll
	want something someday that you don't know about now),
	then be sure that the printer you buy has a compatible
	control set.  Ways to assure this include (1) get a list of
	the Epson FX-80 control set, and compare it with the printer's
	manual BEFORE you buy; (2) run your most demanding software
	on it (at least graphics mode, and a WP-generated document
	with subscripts and all fonts).  One way that DOESN'T work
	is to ask the salesperson -- they generally don't know about
	this, and have a vested interest in saying "yes" in any event.

Among the machines I believe to be compatible are the AT&T 473,
and the Star SG-10.  No guarantees, though; I haven't done any serious
testing. I do know that the C.Itoh 8510, the Gemini 10X, and some
of Okis are cable-compatible but control-code incompatible (the Gemini
is close, but slightly screwy graphics).

			Dave Tutelman
			Physical - AT&T Information Systems
				   Holmdel, NJ 07733
			Logical  - ...ihnp4!mtuxo!mtgzz!dmt
			Audible  - (201)-834-2895

tomm@asgb.UUCP (Tom Mackey) (08/27/85)

While we are talking about printers, does anyone know if the Epson RX-80
printer can be upgraded (with new ROM, PC board, or whatever) to an FX-80?

Thanks,

Tom Mackey   				   ihnp4!sabre!\
					hplabs!sdcrdcf!-bmcg!asgb!tomm
		    { ihnp4, ucbvax, allegra }!sdcsvax!/
Burroughs Distributed Systems Group 		     Boulder, Colorado

jkr@gitpyr.UUCP (John Kenneth Riviere) (08/31/85)

In article <766@asgb.UUCP>, tomm@asgb.UUCP (Tom Mackey) writes:
> While we are talking about printers, does anyone know if the Epson RX-80
> printer can be upgraded (with new ROM, PC board, or whatever) to an FX-80?
> Tom Mackey

I am not sure if this will satisfy you, but you might check with:
Dresselhaus Computer Products
837 East Alosta Ave.
Glendora,  CA  91740

I bought a product of theirs called the Finger Print LetterWriter.  It
consists of three chips which replace chips on the Epson FX printer to
provide panel button control of a variety of features as well as NLQ
printing without going into graphics mode.  While this product seems to
be very specific to the FX printers some of the documentation leads me
to believe they may have similar products for other Epson printers.  The
package describes providing panel button control for:

Reset, Condensed, Double Wide, Emphasized, Double Strike, Perforation
Skipover, Left Margin Indent, Italics, 8 Line Per Inch, Fine Print
[subscript], Buffer Clear, Elite (RX, FX only), Underline, (RX, FX only),
Paper Out Disable (RX, FX only), Quiet Mode (RX, FX only), Slash Zero
(RX, FX only), Proportional (FX Only), 8 1/2" wide paper (FX-100 only).

Since they differentiate between what works for RX, FX, and other
printers they must have similar products for non-FX printers.  However,
I have no info on any but the FX version of their product.  The FX
version which I bought lists for $75 (I found it at Priority-One
Electronics for $59) and came with very clear instructions for
installation including photo closeups of the printer's circuit board.
Their brochure and my calls to Epson indicate that a properly installed
Finger Print will not void the printer warranty.

{usual disclaimer, no association except as a satisfied customer}

                          -J. Kenneth Riviere

--
John Kenneth Riviere
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!jkr