[net.micro.trs-80] End of an era?

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (09/25/85)

Got a Radio Shack flyer in the mail yesterday -- in the "As is Where is"
section I saw both the cassette and *disk* versions of the Model 4.

I presume that this marks the end of the Mod-4, and with it the end of
the computer line based on the "original" TRS-80.

Sorry to see it go.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

abc@brl-sem.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (09/28/85)

I don't think so -- at least not yet.  I seem to recall that
Ed Juge of Tandy specifically denied the end of the Mod IV
series. There's some version or other that's in the 86
catalog.  But they might no longer support tape.

Brint

smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) (09/29/85)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA rduxb!smh

> Got a Radio Shack flyer in the mail yesterday -- in the "As is Where is"
> section I saw both the cassette and *disk* versions of the Model 4.
> I presume that this marks the end of the Mod-4, and with it the end of
> the computer line based on the "original" TRS-80.

No, it marks the introduction of the Model 4D which has double-sided
disk drives.  So the Z-80 and TRS-80 still live on.

spl@mgwess.UUCP (Steve Lorenz) (09/30/85)

     NO NO NO !!!! The TRS-80 Model 4 is not DEAD !!!!!!

They are coming out with the Model 4D....which is the same as the old
Model 4 but with 'D'ouble sided disk drives!!!

     THE LEGEND LIVES ON !!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Lorenz
AT&T-IS @ MG

jlh@loral.UUCP (Belly Up) (10/02/85)

In article <408@brl-sem.ARPA>, abc@brl-sem.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) writes:
> I don't think so -- at least not yet.  I seem to recall that
> Ed Juge of Tandy specifically denied the end of the Mod IV
> series.

I also specifically remember Ed denying that the Model I would go out of
production, up until the announcement was made that the Model III would
be sold starting next week, and Model I's are no longer available.  This
is standard practice, after all, would you buy a computer now if you knew
that next week the companty would supercede it with a better and cheaper
one?

							Jim

uggoodjm@sunybcs.UUCP (a Model I) (10/19/85)

> Got a Radio Shack flyer in the mail yesterday -- in the "As is Where is"
> section I saw both the cassette and *disk* versions of the Model 4.
>
> I presume that this marks the end of the Mod-4, and with it the end of
> the computer line based on the "original" TRS-80.
>
> Sorry to see it go.
> --
> Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

The Model 4 has been replaced by the Model 4D with 2 Double Sided Half Hieght Drives.  Unfortunately, the drives have full height bezels so that they
can not be placed in the same disk opening in the case.  I am ostin this
even though most of you on the net probably know it by now, so that this kind of rumor
doesn't spread too far.

J. Matthew Good
uggoodjm@sunybcs