[net.micro.trs-80] Tandy 1000 Software Incompatibilities

ins_asac@jhunix.UUCP (Stephan Alexa Cooper) (12/19/85)

Sorry to post this, but I got a query a while back asking for
a list of IBM PC programs that Do NOT run on the Tandy 1000.
Here is a summary: (note - this list was compiled from other
sources, I did not write this, just put it together from other
people's replies):

Tandy 1000
==========
RE: its compatibily, It is quite compatible up to a point: I have
found that several games fail to start up (the original version of the
diskette) which indicates problems with the floppy disk controller. I
looked at the schematic diagrams of the t1000 and the XT controller
and they are quite different - the Tandy uses a couple of PAL's and
large devices while the XT controller uses a lot of TTL MSI. Not
having a hardware ref manual for t1000, I don't know if the t1000
emulates the XT controller to a high degree but I doubt it.

Something which annoyed me considerably more: expansion cards of the
right size (10'' or less) don't quite fit: part of the IBM-PC form
factor is a little tab in the end of the metal plate used to hold the
card to the chassis. Well the t1000 motherboard is flat against the
chassis not having any space for the tab. There are two solutions: cut
the tab or remove the metal plate. I removed the plate of a RS232 card
(because of the warranty) but that is not a very good solution because
then the card wobles.

Not wanting to give a bad opinion of the machine, I fully recommend
it.  It works very well, generates little noise, it has a small
footprint, it is cute, and I think it is great. As someone said, it is
what the PCjr should have been. Price/performance-wise, if you buy it
through the mail, it is unbeatable.
-----

> I'm thinking on buying one of these, but I wonder
> how compatible it is with an IBM/PC.
> Can you buy expansion cards and plug them in?
> Can you put an 8087? What about software: would
> it run DBase III, Symphony, etc?

The machine is a cross between the PC and the jr.  One BIG compat. problem
has to do with DMA.  The base machine has none, but the memory cards add
DMA circuitry.  The as a result, you can not use any add-in cards with
memory unless you have first added a tandy memory card.  since the machine
only has 3 slots, this is a pain (tandy has no multi-function card for
this beast last time I checked.)

The keyboard is a bit different.  (BTW - they don't have a scroll lock key,
which some packages want (like 1-2-3), but there is a key combo that emulate
it, I forget which).

As a guide to compatibility, Lotus 1-2-3's IBM version can be made to
run on the machine (not well, but functional).  However, the hassles/
problems were significant enough that a migration for the tandy was
done.

With the current price trends for the IBM PC, why not wait until
the next round of price cuts (this fall?? if you believe S.Katt)
and get a 'fully compatible unit'  :-).
-----

> as a result, you can not use any add-in cards with
> memory unless you have first added a tandy memory card.  since the machine
> only has 3 slots, this is a pain (tandy has no multi-function card for
> this...

However, there are third party memory boards that DO work.  The one I have
(an MFB1000, by PBJ(tm)) is one such card.  It comes with a clock, the
capacity for 512K more, and an RS232 port.  The machine itself has a built in
printer port, so I still have two slots left (and I have 640K, a printer port,
and an RS232 and a clock).  This is definitely NOT a pain
(This is definitely NOT a flame, either...just an explanation.)

> The keyboard is a bit different.  (BTW - they don't have a scroll lock key,
> which some packages want (like 1-2-3), but there is a key combo that emulate
> it, I forget which).

> With the current price trends for the IBM PC, why not wait until
> the next round of price cuts (this fall?? if you believe S.Katt)
> and get a 'fully compatible unit'  :-).

I would recommend the T1000, as it is (and probably always will be, less
expensive, especially if not bought from a Radio Shack store, but from
a warehouse or computer outlet).
-----

   A couple of weeks ago, I posted an inquiry to the net asking for what
software people knew would not run on a Tandy 1000. At that time, I
promised a summary of responses; well, this is it.

   Six people responded to the original article. Unfortunately, most of the
replies were from people considering the Tandy, rather than from owners.
Nevertheless, a small list of software did evolve:

		Alphabet Zoo- IBM Version (Spinnaker)
		Buzzard Bait (Sirius)
		Mastertype (Scarborough Software)
		Math Blaster (Davidson & Associates)
		Murder by the Dozen (CBS Software)

		CopyIIpc
		PCWRIT

		Prowriter utilities (C. Itoh)

		Telios (seems to talk to the modem, but won't let me in on
			the conversation.)
		PC-VT

Notes:
  The programs are arranged as follows: the first group are
game/educational programs, second are copy programs, third are utilities,
and last are communications programs.

   According to reports, there is one problem with hardware compatibility,
the length of the board. The 1000 is designed to take boards up to 10.5"
long. Unfortunately, many popular boards exceed that length. Any board
which will fit in the short slot of the XT or in the Portable PC should be
right at home in the Tandy.
--

             Steve Cooper
 Johns Hopkins University

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (12/23/85)

>From: ins_asac@jhunix.UUCP (Stephan Alexa Cooper)
>
>Sorry to post this, but I got a query a while back asking for
>a list of IBM PC programs that Do NOT run on the Tandy 1000.
>Here is a summary: (note - this list was compiled from other
>sources, I did not write this, just put it together from other
>people's replies):
>
>Tandy 1000
>==========
>RE: its compatibily, It is quite compatible up to a point: I have
>found that several games fail to start up (the original version of the
>diskette) which indicates problems with the floppy disk controller. I
>looked at the schematic diagrams of the t1000 and the XT controller
>and they are quite different - the Tandy uses a couple of PAL's and
>large devices while the XT controller uses a lot of TTL MSI. Not
>having a hardware ref manual for t1000, I don't know if the t1000
>emulates the XT controller to a high degree but I doubt it.

The Tandy 1000 uses an Intel 8272A FDC. Doesn't the IBM use an NEC chip?

According to the specs, the 8272 can read/write single density as well as
double density. Anyone know of a program which could use this capability to
read TRS-80 Model I or old Osborne 1 disks? (Didn't I hear somewhere that
the controller in the IBM PC can not handle single density?)

>The machine is a cross between the PC and the jr.  One BIG compat. problem
>has to do with DMA.  The base machine has none, but the memory cards add
>DMA circuitry.  The as a result, you can not use any add-in cards with
>memory unless you have first added a tandy memory card.  since the machine
>only has 3 slots, this is a pain (tandy has no multi-function card for
>this beast last time I checked.)

Tandy now produces a card called the MEMORY PLUS card which will allow
expansion to 640k using only one board (it used to take two Tandy boards)
and will take a piggyback RS232 or clock/mouse card.

>The keyboard is a bit different.  (BTW - they don't have a scroll lock key,
>which some packages want (like 1-2-3), but there is a key combo that emulate
>it, I forget which).

ALT-BREAK works on most packages (1-2-3, SideKick, etc.) The one major
exception is Framework v1.0 (I don't know about v2) which requires
installation of the KEYCNVRT.SYS device driver and still requires a two
keystroke sequence (HOLD followed by CTRL-HOLD) to emulate the use of the
PC's Scroll Lock key in switching between frames.

>As a guide to compatibility, Lotus 1-2-3's IBM version can be made to
>run on the machine (not well, but functional).  However, the hassles/
>problems were significant enough that a migration for the tandy was
>done.

As I recall, this comment was made by a person from Lotus and I do wish he
would explain his comment. I have run IBM PC version 1A* and only saw a
couple of possible gotchas:

	Scroll Lock is now ALT-BREAK
	Tandy's original version of MS-DOS would not SYS to a disk it
	   didn't format (okay- so I ran it under PC-DOS).
	New function key labels are needed since the keys run along
	   the top of the keyboard rather than the side
	The PC version does not come with drivers for Tandy printers
	   (ARGH! Is it so hard for Lotus to add them to *all* 1-2-3
	   distributions?)

Personally, I think it runs better on the 1000 than the PC since you can
use the arrow keys and the keypad at the same time.

>   A couple of weeks ago, I posted an inquiry to the net asking for what
>software people knew would not run on a Tandy 1000. At that time, I
>promised a summary of responses; well, this is it.

I origianlly posted this list. At the time, I had not had access to a few
of the programs which I have since had a chance to try. Therefore, I will
make a few notations as I go...

>		Alphabet Zoo- IBM Version (Spinnaker)
>		Buzzard Bait (Sirius)
>		Mastertype (Scarborough Software)
>		Math Blaster (Davidson & Associates)
>		Murder by the Dozen (CBS Software)
>
>		CopyIIpc
I don't remember who said this, but the copy I borrowed from a co-worker
ran with no problem.
>		PCWRIT
I assume this was supposed to be PC-WRITE. The current version (2.55) runs
beautifully. As a matter of fact, it comes with a small file to
re-configure the keyboard for the 1000's eccentricities and drivers for
Tandy's printers.

>		Prowriter utilities (C. Itoh)
>
>		Telios (seems to talk to the modem, but won't let me in on
>			the conversation.)
>		PC-VT
Well, maybe the old version didn't, but the current(?) version (8.x, I
think) seems to run fine. (We don't have a VMS system so I cna't be sure
whether all the keypad mappings function with the 1000's keyboard, but the
basic terminal emulation, dialer, file transfers, etc. all work fine.)

Now for the $640 question... assuming that there is no problem with the
power supply, will an IBM PC-compatable hard disk and controller work in
the 1000?

Since the 1000 is an IBM-compatable, one would think so. A note in the
current 80-Micro, however, seems to indicate that a special ROM on the
controller board would be needed.

Anybody know for sure?

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

		"I hate this beer. It has no taste."
						   "And it's so filling."
					 "No taste."
						   "So filling."

greggt@ncoast.UUCP (Gregg Thompson) (12/25/85)

> 		Alphabet Zoo- IBM Version (Spinnaker)
> 		Buzzard Bait (Sirius)
> 		Mastertype (Scarborough Software)
> 		Math Blaster (Davidson & Associates)
> 		Murder by the Dozen (CBS Software)
>
> 		CopyIIpc
	That's Strange I am currently using a Tandy 1000 and CopyIIpc works
great!

> 		PCWRIT
>
> 		Prowriter utilities (C. Itoh)
>
> 		Telios (seems to talk to the modem, but won't let me in on
> 			the conversation.)
> 		PC-VT
	I am currently running PC-VT Version 8.3. It is a FANTASTIC program.
The programmer has made VERY nice documentation, infact I was able to make
a very good termcap from it.
					Gregg Thompson
decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!greggt