[net.micro.trs-80] Tandy Model 100 as a terminal.

3215rfs@mtuxo.UUCP (r.soyack) (03/20/86)

I just bought a Radio Shack Model 100 and I think its great but I can't
seem to get it to work as a terminal with a remote UNIX system.  I can get
it to dial the number and then I hit the "TERM" function key and nothing
happens.  HELP!

I am new to this so please forgive me if I am treading on well-worn ground.

					Thanks in advance,
					Rich Soyack
					mtuxo!3215rfs
					(201) 576 6065

perry@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Rick Perry) (03/23/86)

In article <1428@mtuxo.UUCP>, 3215rfs@mtuxo.UUCP (r.soyack) writes:
> I just bought a Radio Shack Model 100 and I think its great but I can't
> seem to get it to work as a terminal with a remote UNIX system.  I can get
> it to dial the number and then I hit the "TERM" function key and nothing
> happens.  HELP!

   After dialing, the M100 will simply hang up if the string "<>" or
"<auto-logon-sequence>" is not at the end of the phone number. It's set
up this way to allow M100 auto-dial for voice calls, i.e. while it's
dialing you pick up the phone...

   You could use this method for dialing in to other computers, where
after you hear the carrier tone you then press TERM and then hang up the
phone.  To have this done automatically requires simply adding a "<>"
to the end of the phone number string, e.g.  Telcom: dial 111-2234<>
then M100 will wait for carrier tone after dialing (possibly forever!
since it doesn't know about busy signals, etc.) and automatically
connect and go into TERM mode when it gets the carrier.

   If you want a M100 auto-dial/redial program, that will wait about 15
secs for carrier, then hang-up, wait 15 more secs and re-dial again
if carrier is not sensed (great for dialing in to numbers that are
frequently busy), contact me by mail & I will send it.

...Rick                         ..{pyrnj,psuvax1}!vu-vlsi!perry

moore@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Andrew M. Moore) (03/24/86)

No problem.  Instead of entering the number and hitting <F4>Term as soon
as it stops dialing, just do this instead:

Call  5551212<>

Those brackets will cause the M100 to jump into terminal mode automatically.
Let me know if you have any problems.  I also have a Model 100 termcap
entry that you might be interested for your Unix host.  Lastly, as a Model 100
owner, you might be interested in the newsletter which a friend and I write
for the M100 and NEC PC-8201 (more focus on the M100 though).  Columns include
programming, hardware and software projects, and reviews on hardware, software,
books and products.  Subscriptions are $7.00 (US) a year.  We also have a
public domain software library for the M100 and NEC.  Let me know if you want
a sample issue (send me your US mailing address via the net).

-drew
 arpa: MOORE%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA
 uucp: ...mit-eddie!moore
   us: Box 121, North Quincy, MA  02171

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) (03/25/86)

In article <1428@mtuxo.UUCP> 3215rfs@mtuxo.UUCP (r.soyack) writes:
>I just bought a Radio Shack Model 100 and I think its great but I can't
>seem to get it to work as a terminal with a remote UNIX system.  I can get
>it to dial the number and then I hit the "TERM" function key and nothing
>happens.  HELP!

To dial a number and have the computer go into terminal mode, you have to
provide an auto-login sequence.  The simplest is <>.  The "<>" tells the
model 100 to go into terminal mode automatically as soon as it recognizes a
carrier.  Commands can be placed inbetween the < and the > to have the model
100 respond in certain ways.  I don't remember the commands though; don't use
them.  SO, if you want to dial a computer at 555-1212 then for the telephone
number type: 5751212<>
and the computer will do the rest.

--
Michael S. Leibow