[net.micro.trs-80] Model 102

ir682@sdcc6.UUCP (Gerald Steinberg) (06/27/86)

Does anybody have
information on the
new Model 102?  Is
it really the 100 in
another package?

moore@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Andrew M. Moore) (06/29/86)

I hear that the Model 102 is a completely compatible with the Model 100.
Improvements consist of a new location for the bus (that the DVI and
other accessories can plug into) -- the ROM expansion slot is still
located in the same place I think.  The function keys have been more
appropriately positioned, and the cursor/arrow keys have been arranged
in an up-down-left-right position (like that on the NEC 8201 and others).
I don't know if the screen scrolling has been improved, or if there have
been any changes with the amount of RAM expansion possible, but my guess
is that neither of these has been changed; the mahine is, after all,
supposed to be compatible.

By the way -- the SSPCUG (non-prof org) now supports the Model 102 as
well as the Model 100 and the NEC 8201.  $7.00/year newsletter and
access to a PD software library.  Want a sample issue?  Send me a note
or call the SSPCUG Hqts. BBS to request a sample.

SSPCUG Hqts. BBS
300/1200/2400 bps
617/479-9208
Message base & many files
*** WEEKENDS ONLY! ***

-drew
 arpa: MOORE%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA
 uucp: ...mit-eddie!moore
   us: Box 121, North Quincy, MA  02171

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (06/30/86)

In article <2701@sdcc6.UUCP> ir682@sdcc6.UUCP (Gerald Steinberg) writes:

>Does anybody have
>information on the
>new Model 102?  Is
>it really the 100 in
>another package?

In a word- yes.

The other night I got to spend a few minutes with a Tandy 102 (the TRS-80
moniker is no more), so let me give you my impressions of it:

The working surface of the machine is the same size as a 100, but the 102
is about as thick as the white upper part of a 100.

The connectors have been thought out better on the 102. The bus connector
is now in the back (ala the 200) and both it and the parrallel printer
connector come with little covers (also ala the 200). There is also a
larger opening around the serial connector.

Memory expansion is both cheaper and easier. On the bottom of the 200 there
is a little cover which covers the sockets for the expansion ROM and an 8K
memory expansion (the base unit is 24K expandable for <$20 to 32K).

The big letdown for me was the keyboard. Tandy has rearranged the function
keys so that they are the CENTER 8 keys above the keyboard. The PAUSE,
PRINT, etc. keys are now the leftmost four. The keyboard itself uses a very
different kind of key which is quieter, but has the feel of cheap springs.

On the whole, the 102 is really not much more than a trimmer, lighter 100.