[net.micro.trs-80] comm

sda@packard.UUCP (DA Schrader) (09/21/84)

Subject: TRSDOS/LDOS COMM errors
Newsgroups: net.micro.trs-80
I read in a recent reply about the availability of TRSDOS 6.2. It
speaks of corrections to the COMM program that "should have been fixed free".

Could someone please tell me what the errors were?  I have used COMM and
found it quite good.    Tks in advance   Dave Schrader  CDC @ BCR Piscataway.

../packard/sda
.

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP (09/24/84)

<And now a line will be eaten by our network...>

The problem that was reported (by AT&T) in COMM was that every so often a
character would be dropped or repeated.  This was caused by a mistake in the
management of the 2K buffers that are dynamically allocated/deallocated when
they are required.  If you haven't seen it, you aren't alone.  You had to
be running at high baud rates and receiving for long periods just to start
allocating buffers at all.  Below 2400 baud, the screen driver can keep
up pretty well.  The operating system vendor found that the rate was
about 1 goof per million characters at 9600 baud and 1 goof per 3 million
characters at 4800.

TRSDOS 6.2 (at last) fixes this problem.

In case you missed the earlier mail on this, here is a copy of a termcap
that works fairly well with COMM:

t6|comm6|TRSDOS COMM Model 4/4P:\
	:am:co#80:li#24:\
	:cr=^]:bc=^X:ho=^\^P^Q:nl=^Z:\
	:cl=^\^_:cd=^_:ce=^^:\
	:up=^[:do=^Z:nd=^Y:\
	:so=^P:se=^Q:xt:

This works great as long as you don't want to use ^Q/^S.  Seems COMM
justs passes the codes straight to the video driver which uses ^Q to
start reverse video.  This causes lots of laughs when the host tells
your system to resume transmission and the screen switches to reverse
video too.

If you really have to use ^Q/^S, you can do so by losing reverse video
capability. Or you can switch the reverse video codes to something
else at the host and write a filter to insert in front of the video
driver which translates the new codes back to the old reverse video
control characters and hands them to the video driver.  (There are several
"do nothing" control codes available.)

<This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
 construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
 Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
 in  any way.  Since color dyes may, in time change, this film will not
 be replaced for, or otherwise warranted against, any change in  color.
 (Oops, wrong disclaimer.)>

						"Thank you, Uh Clem."
						Frank Durda IV
						@ <trsvax!uhclem>

spl@mgweed.UUCP (Steve Lorenz) (09/28/84)

	I am not sure exactly what caused the problem with COMM, something
about when the buffer got full if over writed part of the program, or
something along those lines. Anyway the problem usually showed up during
long sessions and the results were the screen would flash, scroll rapidly,
display previously dislpayed data, and in general just go wacky !!!!!
	I am using the 6.2 version now and everything seems to be
corrected!!!

Steve Lorenz
AT&T Technologies
Montgomery Works

johnw@reed.UUCP (John Windberg) (08/22/86)

Does anyone know how to add a cursor motion (cm) entry to the termcap
from comm from trsdos 6.x, or if it can be added?  Many of the stuff
on the reed system needs a cm. Do I simply need another terminal program
with cm capabilities?

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP (08/28/86)

[The Knights of Letni want..... A Segment Register!]

This termcap works fairly well.

t4|model4|Tandy TRS-80 Model 4/4P:\
	:am:co#80:li#24:\
	:cr=^]:bc=^X:ho=^\^P^Q:nl=^Z:\
	:cl=^\^_:cd=^_:ce=^^:\
	:up=^[:do=^Z:nd=^Y:\
	:so=^P:se=^Q:xt:

There is one other bit of translation that makes it work better
but I have misplaced my notes.  I think you use this command line:

	comm *cl (xlater=x'0d1d')

This translates any incoming carriage returns (which comm treats as
CR/LF) into a "return to start of line and start over".  Pay no attention
to the description in some of the Model 4 manuals that says it erases the line.
This is an excellent example of docu-fiction.

<This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
 construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
 Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
 in  any way.  This product is sold on an "as is" basis, which means it
 is only warranted to contain matter, occupy space, and have mass.>>

						"Thank you, Uh Clem."
						Frank Durda IV
						@ <trsvax!uhclem>

"A What?"
"Letni!  Letni!  Letni!"
"Please, no more!  We will find you a segment register."
"One that looks nice."
"Of course."
"And hold 16 bits but only uses 8."
"Yes... certainly."