[net.micro.trs-80] Any info on Tandy 1000sx or Leading Edge Model D???

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (root) (10/12/86)

In article <4420@brl-smoke.ARPA>, WAGREICH@G.BBN.COM writes:

>......  There is a sale on the Tandy 1000sx this  week  ($300
> off)  but  it  is  not possible to see the computer to try it out
> (all have been sold, even the display models).

Would you buy a car unseen or undriven. Tandy makes good (most of the
time) products, but like most manufactorers, they rush to get products
on the market.... often to the customers disadvantage. Get the computer
center manager to write you a letter that when he gets more stock in
you will be offered the 1000 at the sale price. If he won't do it,
contact the district manager - these guys get paid based on store
sales too. He probably will work with you. Tandy, like most other
large, public corporations, is VERY _IMAGE_ concious and will do
almost anything to keep or get a customer.... especially at the upper
level (management). Oh, by the way, don't expect your salesman to
emulate the one in the recent rash of TV commercials... (3-piece
suit... knowledgeable...professional). All the knowledgeable,
3-piece suiters are kept in Ft Worth at National Sales. :-).

> I've been told that Radio Shack  ofers  24-hour  support  service
> free for the first 30 days, has a 30-day grace period, and offers

Free support - and I though Santa Claus was dead! ;-)
Unless they have changed drastically in the past year, You are lucky
to be able to get your local support between 9 - 5, Mon - Fri.
Tandy DOES have a support group in Ft Worth, but it's your nickle
when you call... once you get through, be prepaired to wait (on hold).
However, they are fairly good about calling you back - usually.

Of course, you can always use E-Mail though trsvax or rscus1.
rscus1 is the main customer support for all of the ATSO groups and polls
each ATSO site daily...  public info... it's in the map.

The local support group (ATSO) charges $20 a month for phone support
and $40/hour for on-site hand-holding, (2 hour mininum). And if you
REALLY NEED it, they will even write custom programs and data bases
for you... (as long as the head honchos in "The Towers" don't know
about it ;-) Don't want the company being liable for screw-ups,
don't cha know...).

If you purchase "official" Tandy software generally you will get
better help when needed than say 'Word' or another non-Tandy
program. Remember, Tandy is going to make more off of the sale
of in-house software than the stuff they have to buy from someone
else. So, they push training on their products at the ATSO level.
The unfortunate part though is the level of compentence on the part
of the ATSO group. In the DFW area, there are probably a hand-full
of 'gurus' (or at least they CAN load the programs on the 'puter ;-)),
I can't say about the rest of the country..... But afterall what can
you expect from some poor schlock who is only making 19 - 21K a year?
The latest info was that the ATSO group STILL does not have an official
training program for their customer support people... Generally, after
a week or so in the office, the poor support person is told he will
be teaching DBase III the next day, given the manual and told to
study it tonight... scary - huh?

I known cases of customers getting their money back as much as a year
after the purchase. If you scream long and loud enough, someone
will listen....

> more software for the Tandy 1000sx than Leading Edge  does.   How
> IBM  compatible  is the Tandy 1000sx?  Can you run MIcrosoft Word
> on the Tandy 1000sx?  How reliable is Leading Edge?

A clone is a clone is a clone......
The 1000 is about as compatable as any of the others on the market
and if the software will run on another machine that has the same
processer, chances are it will run on the 1000 too. One word of
advice (caution) though. If you have or purchase a non-Tandy printer
don't expect it to work properly, especially with word processer
programs. Tandy only supplies drivers to run their printers and
devices.... and getting a driver could almost take an act of congress.
Sorry... I can't help on Leading Edge, don't know anyone who has one.