[net.games.go] Yes, Go! But where are boards?

mlj@mtfmc.UUCP (M.JULIAR) (08/14/85)

Yes, yes!!  Don't zap net.games.go.  That's how I found out about
Bruce Wilcox and his work on go on a PC.

Some real go traffic:

Where in central New Jersey (Red Bank area; I work at AT&T-IS in
Neptune) can I find a store that sells real go boards?  Not one of
those ugly Avalon Hill or whatever type of boards with incongruous
dragons printed in the middle of them, but real, wooden (folding or
non-folding) full-sized boards for standard-sized stones.

I am turning on a bunch of people to go here in Neptune and need
some more boards, and stones too.  None of the games shops or
Oriental food or import stores I've called seem to carry them.  And
I rarely get into NYC, where it's easy to find them.

Any and all help is appreciated.

rws@gypsy.UUCP (08/19/85)

contact the go club at holmdel; they can put you in touch with mail order
shops.

Bob Schwanke

Siemens Research
Princeton, NJ
08540-6668

seismo!princeton!siemens!rws

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (08/20/85)

In article <469@mtfmc.UUCP> mlj@mtfmc.UUCP (M.JULIAR) writes:
>Yes, yes!!  Don't zap net.games.go.  That's how I found out about
>Bruce Wilcox and his work on go on a PC.
.
.
.
>Where in central New Jersey (Red Bank area; I work at AT&T-IS in

1.  Another vote to keep net.games.go

2.  I don't know where you can get go.stuff in NJ, but when we couldn't
    find any in Saskatoon, some friends and I solved the problem by
    calling one of the local Chinese import shops.  One of us would call
    every so often for about 3 weeks, and say something like "I heard
    that I can buy Go boards from you.  Can you tell me the price?"
    Suddenly, they started to stock them.

3.  Have you ever noticed that there are no really good Go players who
    are women.  It seems that they can do quite well in the opening game
    where the moves are more intuitive or patern oriented, but fall
    apart when they get to the middle and end games.  When the play is
    more complex, requiring detailed analysis of moves or when you have
    to weigh the impact of larger moves in the middle game, they seem to
    fall apart.  Is this maybe some sort of proof of the bioLOGICAL
    difference between sexes?

		A  MISS IS AS GOOD AS 1.07 * 10e-08 AU's

D.Katz

judith@proper.UUCP (Judith Abrahms) (08/21/85)

Yes, keep this discussion!  Now I too have found out about Bruce Wilcox's
work on go on a PC here, and I want to find out more!

Does anyone have an address for Bruce?

To my old friends at the Cambridge Go Association (Eric Osman, I know you're
there!):  Hi, and where's Bruce Wilcox?

Best,
Judith Abrahms
{ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!proper!judith