[net.games.go] Usenix results

roland@inmet.UUCP (10/21/85)

	The following is the results as provided to Bruce Wilcox,
auther of Nemesis, at the conclusion of the Usenix Computer Go
Tournament.  I find the comments less than informative and the
statistics a bit confusing; Bruce was unable to clarify.  Anyone
else have some information?

Game	Black	White	Winner	Comments
----	-----	-----	------	--------
1	gorilla	goanna	X	incomplete
2	nemesis	gorilla	gorilla	nemesis quits
3	ogo	nemesis	ogo	nemesis core dumps
4	oog	ogo	oog	ogo suicide
5	goanna	oog	oog
6	nemesis	goanna	goanna	nemesis quits
7	ogo	gorilla	gorilla	ogo suicide
8	oog	nemesis	nemesis
9	goanna	ogo	X	incomplete
10	gorilla	oog	oog
11	goanna	gorilla	X	incomplete
12	gorilla	nemesis	gorilla	nemesis quits
13	nemesis	ogo	ogo	nemesis core dumps
14	ogo	oog	oog
15	oog	goanna	oog
16	goanna	nemesis	goanna	nemesis quits
17	gorilla	ogo	X	incomplete
18	nemesis	oog	nemesis
19	ogo	goanna	goanna	ogo suicide
20	oog	gorilla	oog

		WON	~LOST	LOST	PBUG	LBUG	POINTS
		(2)	(0)	(0)	(-1)	(-2)
goanna		0	3	2	0	3	-6
gorilla		0	3	2	0	3	-6
nemesis		2	0	0	6	0	-2
ogo		0	2	1	0	5	-10
oog		5	1	2	0	0	10

WON	Full games won
~LOST	Defaulted games not lost
LOST	Full games lost
PBUG	defaults caused by program bugs
LBUG	defaults caused by logic bugs (lack of understanding of the game)
POINTS	WON * (2) + ~LOST * (0) + LOST * (0) + PBUG * (-1) + LBUG * (-2)

bad@npoiv.UUCP (Bruce Dautrich) (10/24/85)

	These results are all very nice but would any of the participants
be willing to give away objects for their programs so that the rest of us
might evaluate how well these programs play by actually playing the game
with them.

						Bruce Dautrich
						npoiv!bad

mwm@ucbopal.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (I'll be mellow when I'm dead) Meyer) (10/26/85)

In article <20600024@inmet.UUCP> roland@inmet.UUCP writes:
>	The following is the results as provided to Bruce Wilcox,
>auther of Nemesis, at the conclusion of the Usenix Computer Go
>Tournament.  I find the comments less than informative and the
>statistics a bit confusing; Bruce was unable to clarify.  Anyone
>else have some information?

[Tables deleted.]

Rough translation:

incomplete: There were several games that the judges ruled incomplete as
there were large groups that were neither dead nor alive when both programs
stopped playing.

ogo suicide: ogo has the interesting habit of filling in its own eyes,
except for the last one, of course.

nemesis core dumps: in long games, nemesis would run out of an internal
resource of some kind (buffers?), and drop core.

nemesis quits: Not sure, but I think that nemesis both quit sending moves
and didn't drop core in some games.

	<mike