[net.nlang.celts] Druids

ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) (12/05/85)

>How much is known about this group of people?
>What were they like?
>What was the basis for their religion?
>Are there people today who practice this religion, or
>a closely-related one?
>What area and time did they inhabit?
>Is there any other development they are known for?

Druids were priests of certain Celtish and Pictish peoples of
the British Isles (and possibly also Brittany) prior to
the Roman conquest of the islands circa A.D. 400 (?)  They
were skilled in mathematics, astronomy, botany, medicine and
their culture placed great emphasis as well on music and poetry.
The nations of Wales and Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the south
of England (Cornwall) retain some aspects of Druidic culture
(the Roman invasion from the east drove the Celts westward to
these lands), such as the Eisteddfodd (bardic competition) of
Wales.  They existed under the Romans for several centuries, gradually
losing ground to the Christian missionaries, although Druidic
influence can be found in Celtic folk customs up to the 19th
century (possibly even now).  Their alphabet and a portion of
their religious belief is discussed in Graves' _The White
Goddess_.  The religion emphasized respect for trees and other
living creatures (the salmon was also a mythic figure of
wisdom).  Today there are several groups of neo-druidic
religions of which the best known is the New Reformed Druids
centered in California (headed I believe by Otter G'Zell).

Some of this may be inaccurate; it's been a while since I read
anything on druidism.  If so I hope some other netter will
correct me without flames.

--
-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -
	"Who's been repeating all that hard stuff to you?"

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (12/09/85)

In article <2234@reed.UUCP> ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) writes:
>Druids were priests of certain Celtish and Pictish peoples of
>the British Isles (and possibly also Brittany) prior to
>the Roman conquest of the islands circa A.D. 400 (?) ...
>(the Roman invasion from the east drove the Celts westward to
>these lands)...

     Just to correct some minor points...
     Britain was conquered completely by the Romans in the time of Emperor
Claudius, in the first century A.D.  However, the Romans did not attempt to
heavily colonize Britain, just to hold it against other powers.
     The Romans *left* in the 4th or 5th century, and the Germanic peoples,
led by Hengist and Horsa, streamed across the North Sea.  A.D. 449 is the
standard date given as the beginning of the Anglo-Saxon period of British
history.  The Anglo-Saxons were mainly responsible for pushing the Celts
back into the western and northern parts of the island.
     Later Celts thought of the Romans as benign protectors, and many Welsh
kings traced their lineage back to Brutus, the first Roman to call himself
King of Britain.

--Jamie.
...!ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"The fox wets his tail in the water"

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (12/11/85)

In article <2234@reed.UUCP> ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) writes:
>Druids were priests of certain Celtish and Pictish peoples of
>the British Isles (and possibly also Brittany) prior to
>the Roman conquest of the islands circa A.D. 400 (?) ...
                           ^^^^^^^

 The Romans never made it to Ireland. We were always taught at school
 that the wimps were so afraid of the ferocious Irish warriors that
 they reluctantly contented themselves with equally-wimpy England.
 Alas, this older and wiser Irish warrior suspects that Hibernia was
 not considered worth the trip (:-()
--

 rod williams | {ihnp4,dual}!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw
 pacific bell |  san ramon  |  california