[net.nlang.celts] "Mewn Awen fwyn lawen byw byth y bo hi"

matt@brl-tgr.ARPA (Matthew Rosenblatt ) (01/16/86)

> I have an English translation of a Welsh song -- it's all translated,
> that is, except the refrain.  There's a note saying it has "many
> possible translations".  Could someone give me an idea of what the
> words might mean?  Even a word-by-word list of possibilities would be
> greatly appreciated.  Here's the first verse (the line in question is
> the last one).  Thanks, very much.
>
> 	Now strike the harp gladly, let music resound,
> 	To cheer all the true hearts here gather'd around,
> 	No word of contention shall sully our joy.
> 	No thought of dull care our contentment destroy.
> 	Here patriots may loudly rejoice to be free,
> 	And Cambrians to Cambria vow faithful to be,
> 	Mewn Awen fwyn lawen byw byth y bo hi.

It's always dangerous when an idiot gets hold of a dictionary and tries to
translate from a language he knows little about, BUT that's never stopped me
before, so:

mewn =  in, within;
Awen =  Muse (the root -awen- appears in several words meaning
        "poet," "poetry," and the like, so maybe the Muse referred to
        is the Muse of Poetry);
mwyn =  kind, gentle, mild, dear (the "m" mutates into an "f," pronounced
        like the "f" in English "of," in the line from Mr. Brim's song);
lawen = joyful, merry, glad;
byw =   to live (the verb);
byth =  forever;
y =     the (pronounced like the English word "a" in the phrase "a book.")
po =    a particle used to indicate the superlative (the "p" mutates into
        a "b" here);
hi =    she (pronounced "he," as in Hebrew).

It may be (a wild guess on my part) that "byth y bo" is some sort of Welsh
idiom meaning "for ever and ever."  My little dictionary is too small to
include idioms, and by Welsh grammar book is in a carton in a house down
in Baltimore, so I can't look it up.  So one of many possible translations
could be:

"May she [i.e., Cambria] live forever and ever in mild, joyful Poetry!"

One can generate many other translations by substituting the other meanings
for the words above, or (even better) by consulting a more comprehensive
dictionary, or (best of all) by asking a native Welsh speaker -- I
understand there are some right in my county (Harford), around Cardiff, Md.,
in quarry country near the Pennsylvania border, but I don't know any of them.

					-- Matt Rosenblatt
					(matt@amsaa.ARPA)

chmorris@watrose.UUCP (chmorris) (01/17/86)

In article <1674@brl-tgr.ARPA> matt@brl-tgr.ARPA (Matthew Rosenblatt ) writes:
>It's always dangerous when an idiot gets hold of a dictionary and tries to
>translate from a language he knows little about, BUT that's never stopped me
>before, so:
	I sent a mail message to the originator of this topic a while back,
but since someone else seems to be interested:

>Awen =  Muse (the root -awen- appears in several words meaning
>        "poet," "poetry," and the like, so maybe the Muse referred to
>        is the Muse of Poetry);
Yes, Awen is the 'muse' of poetry/prophecy; but it refers to the amorphous
	type of spirit, rather than a personified Goddess like the Greek
	muses.
>y =     the (pronounced like the English word "a" in the phrase "a book.")
>po =    a particle used to indicate the superlative (the "p" mutates into
>        a "b" here);
>
>It may be (a wild guess on my part) that "byth y bo" is some sort of Welsh
>idiom meaning "for ever and ever."
y bo : bo is a contracted form of bod (to be); I don't know the linguistic
	name for the tense but it corresponds to 'may it be so' or 'let it
	be such-&-such' in English.  'y' doesn't actually mean 'the' here -
	it is used as a sort of connector for the clauses.
>"May she [i.e., Cambria] live forever and ever in mild, joyful Poetry!"
	That's the gist of it.  The words given are an approximate translation
of Ceiriog's Welsh verses; in those, the 'she' actually refers to the whole
Isle of Britain and the context is a sort of Welsh may-Britannia-rule-the-waves-forever.