[net.tv.drwho] id AA14831; Wed, 22 Feb 84 09:07:25 pst

lipman@decwrl.UUCP (02/22/84)

Date: Wednesday, 22 Feb 1984 08:53:42-PST
From: mother::hughes  (Gary Hughes - CSSE/MicroVMS)
To: net.tv.drwho
Subject: Tardis interior

I don't have exact informaation (my library is still in storage) but the
alternate control room was 're-discovered' by the Doctor in the Tom Baker
period (Masque of Madragora perhaps?) and was introduced as a backup
console that he had not used for some time (or space, sorry).

He does not recall why he had stopped using it and in later story decides
that the reason he wasn't using it was that it was 'warped' in some fashion
and unable to navigate correctly.

In all likelyhood, the older set fell apart and the BBC decided to try
something different. I for one prefer the older style console. Maybe this
will be the fate of the 'new-look' exterior too!

BUT, if the chameleon circuit functions correctly think of the marketing
possibilities! Anything can correctly be claimed to be a scale model of the
Tardis - police boxes, shoe boxes, rocks, hula hoops, princess phones,
little pieces of wire with fuzzy stuff on them etc....

Back to the console...the interior of the Tardis has changed quite a lot
over the years. Usually minor changes here and there. In the older
(Hartnell) stories a significant amount of time was spent inside the Tardis
and if you get a chance to see some of those and then watch some of the
current episodes there is a marked difference. At least one story (Edge of
Destruction, I think) took place entirely within the Tardis.

Someone asked about tapes of Dr. Who episodes. I have not heard of any
plans BUT the exisiting Hartnell footage is mostly 16mm prints that BBC
Merchandising had made in case they wanted to sell it (they promptly filed
it away and forgot about it for a decade or two). Also, in the last year or
two, quite a lot of BBC programming has been coming out on video on the EMI
label (at least it was EMI in Australia) and I think the BBC has its own
label on some things now, so there is hope.

Of course, now that the supreme court has said it is not illegal to tape
from broadcasts...

Gary Hughes