[net.music] You win, Larry

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (11/08/85)

> From: Larry Palena

> How artistic can a performer be who can't get any exposure except on
> MTV and "Rate-a-Record" contests on the local dance stations???!!!

Gee Larry....  No exposure?  Her album was reviewed along with Jane
Siberry's in the The New York Times under the heading "Art Rockers".  In
Boston, her single has been all over the radio stations for months.  It
was #1 on the commercial college audience station (you know the kind
that's big on The Cure and REM) for a month.  It has been all over the
AOR station and the DJ's there have been raving about how great she is.
(And giving out free running shoes in celebration of her new found
success -- damn do I hate AOR stations!)  It's been all over the icky
dance music radio station too.  And only *now* that the song has entered
the Top-40 are the CHR stations playing her.  Her album has been the
number one record for the past two months at the hip import record store
(the kind that has separate sections for people like Kate Bush, and
Klaus Schulze, and Fred Frith, but where Motley Crue goes under "M", if
they have any at all), and has been up to number 3 at the college record
store.  The import record store has even been running half page ads in
newspapers saying "Kate Bush's new album is number one!  We love you
Kate!  What more can we say?"  (Now, this is indeed a little ridiculous
if you ask me....)

What does it all go to prove, Larry?  Probably nothing.  Since there are
great artists who are very popular and great artists who are nearly
unknown.  And there are lousy "artists" who are very popular and lousy
artists who are nearly unknown.

In any case, Larry, you win.  I just can't compete with your rapier-fine
wit and incredibly well-reasoned arguments.  Everything you write just
oozes with intelligence and rationality.  It oozes so much so that some
of that ooze has leaked out of my terminal and has stained my carpet.
Unfortunately, it looks and smells suspiciously like dog manure.  I hope
you are going to pay to have the stain removed.

			Just another timely contribution
			 	 to net.palenas-diarrhea,

			Doug Alan
			 nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

P.S.  If I were you Larry, I'd have a doctor check out that tumorous
looking thing growing out of your head.  You want to catch things like
this before they might have a chance to affect your writing style.