--
From the depths of the Crystal Cavern:		Chuq Von Rospach
{amd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!chuqui	nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Dreams, dreams, enchanter! Gone with the harp's echo when the strings fall
mute; with the flame's shadow when the fire dies. Be still, and listen.

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (08/27/84)

From: chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq)

Perhaps the real answer to the name of the Dr. lies in the traditions of
ancient magic. It used to be thought that knowing the name of a person
allowed you control of their will. This meant that sorcerors and other
doers of the dark side went to great lengths to make sure that their true
name did not fall into the hands of those they worked with, and the
greatest power they had was learning the true name of the demons they
summoned. This could be the same case with the Dr.-- if you knew what his
name was, you could control him.

Then again, maybe not! :->

chuq
*******

Not.  Other time lords have used their names regularly, like Romana.
Or Romanavalvosomething, I don't have my book with me.  The Doctor's
name is unpronouncable by human vocal chords.  Aha, you say, then
why are the time lords human in appearance?  By choice.  No telling
what their REAL appearance is.  Anyway, it's possible that the time
lords call the doctor 'The Doctor' because they can't pronounce his
name in their present form.  This leads to another discussion on what
makes a time lord that I might get into some day.
--

	"Trivia is important."		Ron Christian
					Watkins-Johnson Co.

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq) (08/28/84)

>Not.  Other time lords have used their names regularly, like Romana.

Well, maybe not not. Who is to say that romana is her REAL name, not an
adopted name like the Dr. being an adopted name...

--
From the depths of the Crystal Cavern:		Chuq Von Rospach
{amd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!chuqui	nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Dreams, dreams, enchanter! Gone with the harp's echo when the strings fall
mute; with the flame's shadow when the fire dies. Be still, and listen.

ab3@pucc-h (Rich Kulawiec) (08/29/84)

	I dunno, Chuq, but since Romana is referred to be the White
	Guardian, does that lend any more validity to her name?

	Then again, I suppose he might have give her pseudo to
	the Doctor, as well...
--
---Rsk

UUCP: { decvax, icalqa, ihnp4, inuxc, sequent, uiucdcs  } !pur-ee!rsk
      { decwrl, hplabs, icase, psuvax1, siemens, ucbvax } !purdue!rsk

It's better to burn out, than to fade away...

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (The WITNESS) (09/05/84)

[gollum :-)]

> From: ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian)

> Anyway, it's possible that the time lords call the doctor 'The Doctor'
> because they can't pronounce his name in their present form.

WRONG.  I don't remember the episode, but it was the one where the Master makes
(? -- sis is the Dr. expert, I just watch 'em :-) the Doctor assassinate the
Time Lords' President; but I remember the Doctor and (Castellan?) discussing
the Master... and Castellan says, "There are no records of any Time Lord taking
that name".  I read that about the same as I did the weird formal outfits:  a
degenerate custom.  (No wonder the Doctor won't have anything to do with them!)
The Time Lords have names, both personal, and "professional", taking the latter
name when they are accepted into the hierarchy (upon maturity)?

Please note that the above is a hypothesis based on incomplete evidence (a
handful of Tom Baker episodes), and may be VERY wrong.

--bsa