[net.tv.drwho] Origin of Turlough

mort@ihuxn.UUCP (Dubman) (12/27/84)

Iier in the middle of watching Terminus on tape and I just finished
Mawdryn Undead.  In both of these episodes, references are made to
Turlough's planet, as if he wasn't from Earth.  Also, he seems to know
quite a lot about TARDIS terminology, as he gives a lot of mumbo-jumbo
technical gobbldygook in response to a comment by the Doctor, reminiscent
of Romana.  Where is Turlough from?  Is it supposed to be a mystery, or
have I missed the boat and he is really from that school in England?

--

Jonathan Dubman - care of:

		Mort Dubman		AT&T Bell Laboratories
		ihnp4!ihuxn!mort	Naperville, IL.

frodo@wlcrjs.UUCP (James M. Scardelis) (12/28/84)

In article <922@ihuxn.UUCP> mort@ihuxn.UUCP (Dubman) writes:

>Iier in the middle of watching Terminus on tape and I just finished
>Mawdryn Undead.  In both of these episodes, references are made to
>Turlough's planet, as if he wasn't from Earth.  Also, he seems to know
>quite a lot about TARDIS terminology, as he gives a lot of mumbo-jumbo
>technical gobbldygook in response to a comment by the Doctor, reminiscent
>of Romana.  Where is Turlough from?  Is it supposed to be a mystery, or
>have I missed the boat and he is really from that school in England?

  Turlough is definitely from another planet, I forget which one.

	"One day...I Shall come back...
         Yes, I shall come back...
         But until then there must be no regrets
         No tears, no anxieties...just move forward in all your beliefs
         And prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."
 			-The Doctor
--
	"One day...I Shall come back...
         Yes, I shall come back...
         But until then there must be no regrets
         No tears, no anxieties...just move forward in all your beliefs
         And prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."
 			-The Doctor

tony@asgb.UUCP (12/29/84)

Turlough's origin is hinted at in 'Frontios' where he remembers
the Traktaters (sp?) having also been on his home planet. Two
episodes later, in 'Planet of Fire' the whole story comes out.
His family were among the rebels on his home planet and he was
sent to Earth as punishment for crimes not fully explained.

That is also the episode in which Peri joins the Doctor, who
regenerates in the following episode. The local PBS station
just showed these recently, but stopped with 'The Caves of
Androzani'. The BBC must not have released the entire 21st
season. I guess we'll get 'The Twin Dilemma' when the 22nd
season is released.

Tony Andrews
...ihnp4!sdcrdcf!bmcg!asgb!tony

zarth@drutx.UUCP (CovartDL) (01/02/85)

The origin of Turlough is a mystery even to the Doctor. You haven't missed
the boat he is not from Earth as eluded to in many places. His true origin
is discovered in one of the final Davidson episodes the title escapes me
at the moment.

				Zarth Arn
				drutx!zarth

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (01/13/85)

I believe the title you are looking for is "Planet of Fire",
the story before where Davison leaves.
                                  A. G. Percus
                                  ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus