[net.tv.drwho] What is "The Prisoner"?

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (01/30/85)

This is posted for Dave Kliman  (Drexel!dave)...

What is "the prisoner"?  Could someone out there please explain
to me what that series is all about?
--

Michael Ward, NCAR/SCD
UUCP: {hplabs,nbires,brl-bmd,seismo,menlo70,stcvax}!hao!ward

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/01/85)

In article <1360@hao.UUCP> ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) writes:
>This is posted for Dave Kliman  (Drexel!dave)...
>
>What is "the prisoner"?  Could someone out there please explain
>to me what that series is all about?

The prisoner is a 1967 TV series starring Patrick McGoohan. It lasted 17
espisodes, and relates the story of a british secret agent that resigns for
unknown reasons. He is gassed in his apartment, and wakes up in the
Village. Everyone in the Village is either a rebel like himself or a plant
of the people who run it-- they could either be his side, trying to find
out why he resigned, or their side, trying to find out what he knows. They
are trying to break him, he is trying to escape. It can be interpreted in a
very Kafkaesque mode, and also in terms of an Orwellian society if you
want-- nobody in the Village has a name, (McGoohan is #6, and the Village
is overseen by #2). It is very surrealistic, very thought provoking, and
very well done. You need to really pay attention to it or it will look like
a rather random piece of film, but it all ties together quite well.

chuq
From the ministry of silly talks:               Chuq Von Rospach
{allegra,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Life, the Universe, and lots of other stuff  is a trademark of AT&T Bell Labs

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (02/05/85)

One thing I always felt was a bit "off" in THE PRISONER: With a number
like "6", he should have been high in the ruling heirarchy, with duties
to perform in the running of the Village, and subordinates under his
control, and for whom he should be responsible. This doesn't jibe with
the reason for him being put in there. I recall him being pressured to
take part in certain Village activities, and otherwise "play his role",
which he resisted. Having an uncooperative low-numbered person would
put a crimp (cramp?) in the functioning of the Village. I always thought it
would have been better if he had been "Number 47" or "Number 238" or
something, instead of "Number 6".

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

lindley@ut-ngp.UUCP (John L. Templer) (02/06/85)

> One thing I always felt was a bit "off" in THE PRISONER: With a number
> like "6", he should have been high in the ruling heirarchy, with duties
> to perform in the running of the Village, and subordinates under his
> control, and for whom he should be responsible. This doesn't jibe with
> the reason for him being put in there. I recall him being pressured to
> take part in certain Village activities, and otherwise "play his role",
> which he resisted. Having an uncooperative low-numbered person would
> put a crimp (cramp?) in the functioning of the Village. I always thought it
> would have been better if he had been "Number 47" or "Number 238" or
> something, instead of "Number 6".

You are forgetting that no one was above suspicion in the village, even
number two.  Remember the last two episodes, where they show the
underground chambers?  To my mind, they were an intentional counterpart
to the observation room, which they resembled somewhat.  I.e., in the
observation room you had the "rotating see-saw cammeras", while below
ground, where the people who really ran things were, you had the
rotating see-saw machine guns.

Also, I think this discussion should move elsewhere.  Maybe sf-lovers or
new.tv?

--

                                           John L. Templer
                                     University of Texas at Austin

    {allegra,gatech,seismo!ut-sally,vortex}!ut-ngp!lindley

                 "and they called it, yuppy love."

weiss@gondor.UUCP (Michael Weiss) (02/06/85)

> What is "the prisoner"?  Could someone out there please explain
> to me what that series is all about?

*** REPLACE THIS village WITH YOUR prisoner ***

It has been said before, but quickly:  The Prisoner is a show about
a secret agent who quits, is kidnapped by evil forces, and is held
prisoner in a place called The Village (suurounded by The Sea, The
Mountains, etc.).  It is an excellent show and deserves a net.tv.prisoner.
Check your local PBS station for times.

--
-Michael  "on the Twilight Node"  Weiss            ...!psuvax1!gondor!weiss

     - The opinions expressed herein are those of my superiors,
       and are not necessarily shared by myself.

sol@tty3b.UUCP (9-13-84"Solveig 94120) (02/08/85)

I always had the impression that Number 6 had a low number for several reasons:

1. He had been an important person who had disagreed with his higher-ups, and
thus was too knowledgeable to fire or dispose of in any other way except
sending him the the Village. He had a high number because of his former
position in the power structure that had put him in the Village;

2. His ablility to thwart his captors repeatedly led them to respect him, thus
they were always trying to get him to buy into their system. Part of their
persuasion was to give him a high rank (number) in the Village;

3. It seemed he had been there for a long time, while other members of the
cast came and went. Perhaps he had a lower number because of the length of
his stay.

Did you ever see the episode(s) where he met Number 1? I saw this series so
many years ago , I can't remember exactly what happened, but I thought
Number 6 recognized him. Number 6 was obviously part of the whole structure
which was keeping him captive (or had been at one time).

I have been looking for this series to be rebroadcasted on PBS for years now.
I originally saw it on WNET, New York, but have not seen it again there or
in any other city. Any info on the series would be welcome.

Solveig Whittle

weiss@gondor.UUCP (Michael S. Weiss) (02/12/85)

> One thing I always felt was a bit "off" in THE PRISONER: With a number
) like "6".  I always thought
> it would have been better if he had been "Number 47" or "Number 238" or
> something, instead of "Number 6".

*** REPLACE THIS spy WITH number six! ***

Everything they did was part of the plan to send him over the edge
so he would talk.  Giving him a high number, but no control I thought
was very clever.  A bit of a mind twist.  Also, I feel that most (95%)
of the people there are trying to break number 6, so that would make him
very high man on the Village totem pole.

"I am not a number!"     -Number Six

msw