[net.tv.drwho] The Prisoner Returns

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuqui) (01/27/85)

The local PBS station, KTEH (54 in San Jose) just announced that they will
be starting a run of the series 'The Prisoner' starting in March. For all
of you in the KTEH viewing area, rejoice and get your VCR's tuned up. For
the rest of you, start yelling at your PBS stations. The shows ARE
available, all they need is some persuasion... Another reason to support
PBS stations.... (*yipee!*)

chuq
--
From the ministry of silly talks:               Chuq Von Rospach
{allegra,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

God is a trademark of AT&T Bell Labs
---
National Semiconductor does not require useless disclaimers on posted
material that is obviously not posted by company spokesmen...

ggr@cord.UUCP (Guy Riddle) (01/28/85)

Of course, for all you law abiding Citizens out there who wouldn't
dare Steal a copyrighted program (or don't live within the range of
a friendly PBS station [WHYY Philadelphia was up to "The General"
before Usenix]), you can Buy the episodes at your local Video
Emporium for only $39.95 each.

Be seeing you.
			=== Guy Riddle == AT&T Bell Laboratories, New Jersey ===

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (01/28/85)

Funny, just the other day my date confessed that she thinks
she remembers a tv show from her childhood, something about
a giant beach ball that devours people.  Everyone she's asked
about it, (family, friends) thought she was crazy.  Now, once
and for all, she can see that she wasn't.
--

	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!ron

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (01/29/85)

> From:	nsc!chuqui	(Chuck Von Rospach)

> The local PBS station, KTEH (54 in San Jose) just announced that they will
> be starting a run of the series 'The Prisoner' starting in March. For all
> of you in the KTEH viewing area, rejoice and get your VCR's tuned up. For
> the rest of you, start yelling at your PBS stations. The shows ARE
> available, all they need is some persuasion... Another reason to support
> PBS stations.... (*yipee!*)

It should also be noted that, according to Patrick McGoohan in a
local interview (he's in Boston doing a play), the entire PRISONER
series will be available on videocassette sometime this year.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP (iannucci) (02/05/85)

[ I've always been mad, I know I've been mad ... ]

      Just thought I'd add my two cents to this news.  Our PBS station here
in Philadelphia started showing The Prisoner about 8 weeks ago, and I am
enjoying it immensely.  It was recommended to me the last time it was shown
and I checked it out, but I was only a mere 13 years old at the time, and
couldn't appreciate it.   Take note that episode 7 ("Many Happy Returns")
is exceptionally good -- the best of the series that I have seen so far,
so don't miss it if you haven't seen it.

          The only thing that bugs me about the show is ROVER, the balloon-
like entity which guards the perimeter of the village.  The way I see it, they
needed a believable way to keep the very clever No. 6 from escaping the
island, but is this really believeable?  Or am I being unreasonably picky?
                               Any thoughts on this?

--
David J. Iannucci (the dirty vicar)                   St. Joseph's University
{allegra | astrovax | bpa | burdvax}!sjuvax!iannucci             Philadelphia

"A witty saying proves nothing. "                                  --Voltaire

weiss@gondor.UUCP (Michael Weiss) (02/06/85)

>           The only thing that bugs me about the show is ROVER, the balloon-
> like entity which guards the perimeter of the village.  The way I see it, they
> needed a believable way to keep the very clever No. 6 from escaping the
> island, but is this really believeable?  Or am I being unreasonably picky?
>                                Any thoughts on this?

*** REPLACE THIS man WITH number six! ***

I love this show!  Except for ROVER, though, I wouldn't call it SF.
I am not in Philly now, so a friend of mine is taping the entire series
for me.  When I go home, I watch about 3-4 hours straight of it.  About
ROVER.  I find him silly.  Many times you can see the string pulling him
along the water, but I don't mind.  When you love a show you take a lot
of things as givens.  ROVER could have been done more convinsingly, but
such is life in the Village.  I hope they tell us who #1 is at the end of
the series, or at least get him rescued.  Q: Any thought as to where the
Village really is?  Not that many places can have the kind of climate they
do (rarely rains, never cold), with a bay and mountains, etc.  Whaddya think?

"I am a MAN, not a number!!"          -Number Six

--
-Michael  "on the Twilight Node"  Weiss            ...!psuvax1!gondor!weiss

     - The opinions expressed herein are those of my superiors,
       and are not necessarily shared by myself.

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (02/09/85)

> Q: Any thought as to where the
> Village really is?  Not that many places can have the kind of climate they
> do (rarely rains, never cold), with a bay and mountains, etc.  Whaddya think?
>
> "I am a MAN, not a number!!"          -Number Six

As I recall, the Village is actually a little burg on the south coast of
Wales.

jeff m

reid@dciem.UUCP (Reid Ellis) (02/09/85)

[Michael Weiss writes]
>Q: Any thought as to where the
>Village really is?  Not that many places can have the kind of climate they
>do (rarely rains, never cold), with a bay and mountains, etc.  Whaddya think?

The Village scenes were shot in a town named Port Marion in southern England.
Our family visited there a few years ago.  It is a tourist attraction due to
its definite air of unreality.  A lot of the buildings are about 2 feet thick
so that you open the front door and walk right through out the back.  There
is even a statue there dedicated to the summer of some year [1965?] just
because it was a really nice summer.  If you are ever in the area, plan a
visit.  You can eat in a restaurant that overlooks the beach where #6 wrote
"Help me!" in the sand in giant letters.
--
Reid Ellis	"With great power comes great reponsibility" - Spiderman
{allegra,decvax,duke,floyd,linus}!utzoo!dciem!reid

cs2532aa@unm-cvax.UUCP (02/09/85)

>>           The only thing that bugs me about the show is ROVER, the balloon-
>> like entity which guards the perimeter of the village. The way I see it, they
>> needed a believable way to keep the very clever No. 6 from escaping the
>> island, but is this really believeable?  Or am I being unreasonably picky?
>>                                Any thoughts on this?

> About
> ROVER.  I find him silly.  Many times you can see the string pulling him
> along the water, but I don't mind.  When you love a show you take a lot
> of things as givens.  ROVER could have been done more convinsingly, but
> such is life in the Village.

I haven't spotted the wires on Rover yet, but then I'm not really looking for
them either (reminds me of when STAR WARS was on CBS and you could see all the
matte lines and little squares of film where they inserted the TIE fighters
and X-Wings...but thats another flame for another newsgroup...).  Since The
Prisoner is really a "people" show as opposed to a "hardware" show, any little
things that I might have trouble believing in (like Rover, all those invisible
cameras that are everywhere and seem to follow folks around without them
noticing [except for Number Six, of course], the mind control techniques used
in "A, B, and C"... all these things are ignored by my conscious mind.  I'm
too wrapped up in the story to notice!

> I hope they tell us who #1 is at the end of
> the series, or at least get him rescued.  Q: Any thought as to where the
> Village really is?  Not that many places can have the kind of climate they
> do (rarely rains, never cold), with a bay and mountains, etc.  Whaddya think?

The last episode of the series is absolutely fantastic.  No matter what you
want to see, you probably won't be disappointed.  The ending has some amazing
twists that have kept people puzzling over them since the series was first
shown.

As for where the Village is, my vote is for somewhere in Greece.  In an
early episode of "Danger Man" (known in the U.S. as "Secret Agent"), the
Patrick McGoohan character is sent to Greece to try and keep a British
agent from "selling out".  One of the locations looked EXACTLY like the
area where the Village is, in fact, it looked just like a shot of the
beach in front of the Village.  Coincidence?  Maybe...you never know.
At the end of that episode, when Drake (McGoohan's character) finds out
that his bosses lied to him in order to get the other agent back, and that
the agent was to be arrested despite Drake's promises to the contrary, I
realized just why he resigned!!  If I worked for a bunch of guys like
that, I'd jump ship too!

        Be Seeing You,

                .rne.

-----
Real World . . Ernie Longmire / 311 Don St. SE / Los Lunas, NM  87031-9405
UUCP . . . . . {{purdue,cmcl2,ihnp4}!lanl,ucbvax}!unmvax!unm-cvax!cs2532aa
GalactiNet . . 1/MkyWy/r9.844-T00.05'24"-S206.28'49"/3/U.S.AT&T/5058655516
Scotch . . . . Dewars
-----
Thank you . . . Good Night . . . Drive carefully.

darrelj@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Darrel VanBuer) (02/09/85)

The Prisoner was actually filmed at the Hotel Portmerion in Wales (so in
some sense, that's where the vilage is, or could be).

Rover was something of an accident.  It was originally envisioned (and
built) as a robot/machine-like entity.  Unfortunately their machine proved
to be very cranky, especially in water.  It was out of commision and they
had to film something, when they happened to see these weather baloons
laying about...

--
Darrel J. Van Buer, PhD
System Development Corp.

forbus@uiucdcsp.UUCP (02/09/85)

"The village" is actually a luxury resort in North Wales.  I've been there.
The cottages may be rented for a season, and there is also a (well hidden)
modern hotel of modest capacity.  The place is the work of one slightly
crackers architect, who designed it as his dream villa.

If you ask the London Tourist Board about the place they will discourage you
and tell you that they do not like visitors.  So much, in fact, that they
try to charge money to even walk around the grounds.  But Rovers don't exist
in real life, so it is easy to slip around and wander.  Just don't be
obnoxious.  Getting out, of course, is somewhat harder...

mgh@hou5h.UUCP (Marcus Hand) (02/11/85)

The village used in the prisoner is in Cornwall, the southwestern-most
county of england where its always damp, rarely snows except on the moors
and generally has some pretty lush and interesting vegetation.  The actual
village's name escapes me at present, so I'll look on a map when I get home
and see if I remember the name.

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (jeffreys) (02/11/85)

Could all references to "The Prisoner" please be put into net.tv rather than
fouling up net.tv.drwho.

Better still, could sombody PLEASE make a net.tv.prisoner ???????

--

          [ You called all the way from America - Joan Armatrading ]
 [ You're never alone with a rubber duck - Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy ]

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (02/11/85)

If you had read the books, (Which I did at about 13), you
know that the rovers were fluidic robots.  In the book
'The Prisoner' the bouncing balls were color coded for
specific function: ground based guardian, flying guardian,
amphibious guardian, and so forth.  The white robots were
the only ones that could kill.  (Which they did by digesting
the victim; leaving only metal parts behind.  Ugh!)  I guess
they decided to make them all white in the series.  Or
am I missing something, due to a black and white tv?

Shouldn't we move this to net.tv before the drwho-but-not-prisoner
fans get vicious?
--

	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!ron

md@ncsu.UUCP (Mike Davis) (02/12/85)

  Although I know it is not the place for it, I would like to say that
  including info about things that aren't quite the subject matter of
  the particular network is fine by me.  (This is going here because
  of the rude comments about posting prisoner stuff on tv.drwho.)

  For weeks I tried to get net.drwho, net.doctor and every other combination
  I could think of, with no luck.  If it wasn't for that Anjelique (sp)
  Pettijohn stuff being cross listed on net.startrek I would never have found
  it.  And for that matter if one of the startrek movies hadn't had some
  small effect using an APPLE ][ computer a cross listed apple/startrek
  article might never have been posted, and I would have never thought of
  looking for startrek (or drwho).

  I realize there must be a listing of all the nets somewhere but until I find
  it this is the only way I can learn of new ones.

map@whuxl.UUCP (PEARCE) (02/12/85)

> I hope they tell us who #1 is at the end of
> the series, or at least get him rescued.  Q: Any thought as to where the
> Village really is?  Not that many places can have the kind of climate they
> do (rarely rains, never cold), with a bay and mountains, etc.  Whaddya think?
>
> -Michael  "on the Twilight Node"  Weiss            ...!psuvax1!gondor!weiss

*** REPLACE THIS FORTUNE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

The Prisoner series was filmed in a town called Portmerrion, on the South
Wales coast, UK. I have been there. The whole town consists of
an architects fantasy of a period Italian town. Some of the
buildings are just frontages, i.e. no complete buildings. They
just look good. Number TWO's front door actually opens onto a sheer
rock face.
I understand that *they* now run the town as an
exclusive hotel. And yes, number SIX's house does exist
right where you see it in the series.

***SPOILER****

If I can recall, when I saw the original Prisoner series in England,
number SIX is number ONE. Confused? Well that's how the series ended
all those years ago.

P.S. What do you mean, that it rarely rains and is never cold
     in the village. I assume you don't know Wales in the winter.

|   Mike "answer the British questions" Pearce	..!ihnp4!whuxl!map    |

msp@ukc.UUCP (M.S.Parsons) (02/14/85)

In article <388@hou5h.UUCP> mgh@hou5h.UUCP (Marcus Hand) writes:
>The village used in the prisoner is in Cornwall, the southwestern-most
>county of england where its always damp, rarely snows except on the moors
>and generally has some pretty lush and interesting vegetation.  The actual
>village's name escapes me at present, so I'll look on a map when I get home
>and see if I remember the name.

No! NO! The village is in Wales, UK, a place called Port Merian (Not sure of the
spelling.)
Mike Parsons UUCP: ..{ucl-cs,cfg,edcaad,mcvax,kcl-cs}!ukc!msp       msp@ukc.UUCP
             JANET:MSP%UKC%{EDXA,UCL-CS}..                         MSP@UKC.AC.UK
             Mail: Computing Lab, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, England.

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (02/14/85)

>   I realize there must be a listing of all the nets somewhere but until I find
>   it this is the only way I can learn of new ones.

A list of all newsgroups with descriptions should be available on
net.announce.newusers.  If it isn't there, you have two options:

1)  Wait -- If the list is not there now, it is probably being
    updated, and will be back soon
2)  Check the directory of notesfiles on your system, if they
    are public and there is no problem with securing the
    proper permissions.
                                         Always glad to be of service,

                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@nyu-acf4
                                  (NYU)  percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) (02/19/85)

> The village used in the prisoner is in Cornwall, the southwestern-most
> county of england where its always damp, rarely snows except on the moors
> and generally has some pretty lush and interesting vegetation.

[Sorry about this being in net.tv.drwho but I couldn't let the above go
 by without correcting it.]

Nonsense.  The Village is Port Merion in North Wales, which isn't a
real village.  Port Merion is a holiday resort;  each building contains
several rooms or apartents of what is basically a large and somewhat unusual
hotel.  It was built in an Italianesque style by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis.

I was there in August.  Sadly it had an air of faded glory and was in need
of painting.  It's still interesting to visit though.  They have a Prisoner
souvenir shop in Number 6's cottage.

Very little of the Prisoner was actually filmed there.  A set was built
at the studio.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@saber.UUCP,  saber!msc@decwrl.ARPA

ckuppe@spock.UUCP (Charles A. Kupperman '87 ) (02/19/85)

The Prisoner does return.  Several episodes have been released on videotape,
and can be mail-ordered, or bought in any store.  You can also buy the three
books written in the late Seventies...

mab@hou4a.UUCP (Michael Brochstein) (02/21/85)

	I have been to The Village, it really exists !

	As many of you know, in the last episode of The Prisoner the
credits list the hotel where it was filmed.  It is in Portmarion which
is on the coast in Wales.  It is indeed intersting to "walk" in The Village.
It also shows how hollywood can make things look very different in real
life and in person.  The main features of the village do exist but reality
if more down to earth.  The boat in concrete is there as are all the other
architectural items from the TV show.  They are just smaller and juxtaposed
differently in real life.  You can by a number 6 button for your jacket
in the "Village Shop" but the only other Prisoner souvenirs consist of
one paperback book aimed at younger readers.

	I truly recommend a drive to the village not only to see it but
to see another side of Britain which is not overun by tourists.  It is
out of the way but a very pleasent trip through beautiful countryside.

--
Michael Brochstein     AT&T Information Systems, Holmdel, NJ
ihnp4!hou4a!mab        (201) 834-3482

pete@stc-c.gb.UUCP (Peter Kendell) (02/21/85)

Actually----

        The Village is in North Wales. It is called Portmeirion
and was built in the early part of this century by an eccentric
architect name of Sir William Clough-Ellis. If you want to find
it on the map, Portmadoc is the nearest town. Since the series'
recent reshowing on Channel 4 TV, it is now possible to get all
kinds of cutsie souvenirs there. (It costs about #1.50 to get in).