[net.tv.drwho] V10#97--Who's companions

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (03/19/85)

>>From: Alderson@Score
>>
>>Wahl.ES@XEROX.ARPA writes re:  Dr. Who companions
>>
>>>By far, my favorite is Leela.  ...  Also, he seemed more upset about
>>>her departure than that of any other companion.
>>
>>Baker-Who seemed more upset over Leela's leaving than any other of HIS
>>companions, yes, but I'd say offhand--strike that, I've thought about
>>this a bit:  I'd say that Pertwee-Who's reaction to Jo Grant's marriage
>>was much more upset, even to being teary.  I always thought that the
>>wonderful old goat had a romantic streak that ought to be brought out
>>more.
>>
>>						Rich
>
>I really think the Doctor took Leela's (and K9 m1's) departure in stride.
>After all, he immediately put himself to work on K9 mk2.
>
>I'd say he was the most upset after departing from Romana. It was this
>departure that set the tone for "Logopolis".
>
>To be fair, I have not yet seen the Jo Grant departure (ask me in a few
>weeks). I don't think, however, that we should forget Nyssa's departure and
>Adric's final sacrifice (from the Davison era).

Actually, the most touching departure of a companion that I've seen was
when Susan remained on Earth with her freedom fighter in "The Dalek Invasion
of Earth."  Susan obviously loved her freedom fighter (whose name has slipped
my memory), The Doctor realized that, went into the TARDIS with Ian and
Barbara on a pretense, closed and locked the doors, explained to Susan
why he did that, and left.  Extremely touching.
--
James C Armstrong, Jnr.  { ihnp4 || allegra || mcnc || cbosgb } !abnji!jca

Send a pound to Auntie Beeb before she slits her throat!