[net.tv.drwho] Early Pertwee episodes

billr@tekred.UUCP (Bill Randle) (03/24/85)

For those wondering about some of the first Pertwee episodes
(Spearhead from Space, Dr. Who and the Silurians, The
Ambassadors of Death), the Oregon Public TV stations are
currently showing them.  They are in black&white, but better
that than not seeing them at all.

For the person wanting to know what was available other than
Tom Baker, we have seen [or are seeing] (in order):
	Tom Baker (all)
	Peter Davison (thru The Five Doctors)
	Tom Baker (all)
	Jon Pertwee (except B&W episodes [i.e. starting at Inferno])
	Peter Davison (all)
	Jon Pertwee (B&W episodes)

Last Friday was The Ambassadors of Death, part 2.

Dr. Who can be seen in Oregon at 6pm weekdays on KOAP-TV, KOAC-TV,
KOAB, KTVR and many UHF translators.

Long Live the Doctor...

	-Bill Randle
	Tektronix, Inc.

	tektronix!tekred!billr			(uucp)
	tekred!billr@tektronix			(CSnet)
	tekred!billr%tektronix@csnet-relay	(ARPA)

brown@nic_vax.UUCP (03/27/85)

> For those wondering about some of the first Pertwee episodes
> (Spearhead from Space, Dr. Who and the Silurians, The
> Ambassadors of Death), the Oregon Public TV stations are
> currently showing them.  They are in black&white, but better
> that than not seeing them at all.

Not all of the early Pertwee were in B&W.  We, here in Madison (WHA-TV),
recently saw, over two days, the 10 missing Pertwee stories.  They are:

	AAA	Spearhead From Space		1:31:11	color
	BBB	Doctor Who And The Silurians	2:34:13	B&W
	CCC	The Ambassadors Of Death	2:40:06	B&W
	EEE	Terror Of The Autons		1:29:22	B&W
	FFF	The Mind Of Evil		2:12:53	B&W
	JJJ	The Daemons			1:52:57	B&W
	LLL	The Curse Of Peladon		1:32:07	color
	QQQ	Frontier In Space		2:13:54	color
	SSS	Planet Of The Daleks		1:44:36	color (episode 3 gone)
	VVV	Invasion Of The Dinosaurs	1:55:30	color (episode 1 gone)

Supposedly, episode 3 of 'Planet Of The Daleks' is available in B&W.

> For the person wanting to know what was available other than
> Tom Baker, we have seen [or are seeing] (in order):
> 	Tom Baker (all)
> 	Peter Davison (thru The Five Doctors)
> 	Tom Baker (all)
> 	Jon Pertwee (except B&W episodes [i.e. starting at Inferno])
> 	Peter Davison (all)
> 	Jon Pertwee (B&W episodes)

The best way to describe what is available is to say everything from story
AAA, first Jon Pertwee, all the way through story 6R, the last Peter Davison.
A complete list of all the Doctor Who stories was recently posted to the net
by yours truly.

Mr. Video

dpa@ihuxo.UUCP (Dave Allen) (04/01/85)

> > For those wondering about some of the first Pertwee episodes
> > (Spearhead from Space, Dr. Who and the Silurians, The
> > Ambassadors of Death), the Oregon Public TV stations are
> > currently showing them.  They are in black&white, but better
> > that than not seeing them at all.
>
> Not all of the early Pertwee were in B&W.  We, here in Madison (WHA-TV),
> recently saw, over two days, the 10 missing Pertwee stories.  They are:
>
> 	AAA	Spearhead From Space		1:31:11	color
> 	BBB	Doctor Who And The Silurians	2:34:13	B&W
> 	CCC	The Ambassadors Of Death	2:40:06	B&W
> 	EEE	Terror Of The Autons		1:29:22	B&W
> 	FFF	The Mind Of Evil		2:12:53	B&W
> 	JJJ	The Daemons			1:52:57	B&W
> 	LLL	The Curse Of Peladon		1:32:07	color
> 	QQQ	Frontier In Space		2:13:54	color
> 	SSS	Planet Of The Daleks		1:44:36	color (episode 3 gone)
> 	VVV	Invasion Of The Dinosaurs	1:55:30	color (episode 1 gone)
>
> Supposedly, episode 3 of 'Planet Of The Daleks' is available in B&W.

I remember watching the Twilight Zone silver aniversary special a while back.
Portions of one of the episodes shown had been run through some special process
and the result was fairly decent color from a b&w original.
Anyone have any idea what it would cost to run this process on Dr. Who
episodes?
--
Dave Allen	ihuxo!dpa	AT&T Bell Labs	Rm: IH 4A-409	Tel:(312) 979-(4378)

dr37@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (04/02/85)

While  I was in North Carolina I saw "the Daemons" on public television,
and I was impressed by how good the show looked.  The effects don't look
as cheap and the sets as fake in black and white.  I remember reading that
the Beatles spent days on their mono mixes and just threw together the stereo
because very few people in England had stereos, I wonder if the same might
apply to Doctor Who.
What's so terrible about black and white?
				Joanna

brown@nic_vax.UUCP (04/03/85)

> > > For those wondering about some of the first Pertwee episodes
> > > (Spearhead from Space, Dr. Who and the Silurians, The
> > > Ambassadors of Death), the Oregon Public TV stations are
> > > currently showing them.  They are in black&white, but better
> > > that than not seeing them at all.
> >
> > Not all of the early Pertwee were in B&W.  We, here in Madison (WHA-TV),
> > recently saw, over two days, the 10 missing Pertwee stories.  They are:
> >
> > 	AAA	Spearhead From Space		1:31:11	color
> > 	BBB	Doctor Who And The Silurians	2:34:13	B&W
> > 	CCC	The Ambassadors Of Death	2:40:06	B&W
> > 	EEE	Terror Of The Autons		1:29:22	B&W
> > 	FFF	The Mind Of Evil		2:12:53	B&W
> > 	JJJ	The Daemons			1:52:57	B&W
> > 	LLL	The Curse Of Peladon		1:32:07	color
> > 	QQQ	Frontier In Space		2:13:54	color
> > 	SSS	Planet Of The Daleks		1:44:36	color (episode 3 gone)
> > 	VVV	Invasion Of The Dinosaurs	1:55:30	color (episode 1 gone)
> >
> > Supposedly, episode 3 of 'Planet Of The Daleks' is available in B&W.
>

> I remember watching the Twilight Zone silver aniversary special a while back.
> Portions of one of the episodes shown had been run through some special process
> and the result was fairly decent color from a b&w original.
> Anyone have any idea what it would cost to run this process on Dr. Who
> episodes?

The process has been done on one of the old Hartnell (I believe) stories.
Unfortunately I cannot find the source of where I read about it.  It had
indicated that there weren't any plans to show the one that they did do
nor were there any plans to do more, because of the cost.

Help with this one, somebody.

Mr. Video

dr37@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Joanna Bryson) (04/03/85)

a quick follow-up before I'm flamed or hated...I LIKE cheap special effects and
trashy sets, my last entry was in no way critisizing the color episodes.

Afan

brian@digi-g.UUCP (Merlyn Leroy) (04/04/85)

In article <451@ihuxo.UUCP> dpa@ihuxo.UUCP (Dave Allen) writes:

>I remember watching the Twilight Zone silver aniversary special a while back.
>Portions of one of the episodes shown had been run through some special process
>and the result was fairly decent color from a b&w original.
>Anyone have any idea what it would cost to run this process on Dr. Who
>episodes?
>--
>Dave Allen	ihuxo!dpa

I have thought about this too.  Currently, two studios (Hal Roach & one other
that I don't remember) are trying to sell coloration, but it is VERY
expensive.  Also, the colors come out in pastels, due to the original B&W
shades being added to the colors.  I don't know if Dr. Who episodes would
be colorized, since the B&W shows are being shown and making money anyway.
They would only be colored if the extra profits outweigh the cost.  It would
be nice, though.  Probably cost around $100,000/half hour, or the same as
making new episodes!

>> 	SSS	Planet Of The Daleks		1:44:36	color (episode 3 gone)
>> 	VVV	Invasion Of The Dinosaurs	1:55:30	color (episode 1 gone)
>>
>> Supposedly, episode 3 of 'Planet Of The Daleks' is available in B&W.
>>
>>Mr. Video

Also episode 1 of Dinosaurs, I believe (They showed it at the 4 Dr's con in
Chicago 2 years ago).  The reason episode 1 got killed is this:  the first
episode was titled simply "Invasion" so as to not reveal the type of monster.
Unfortunately, during the Great Purge, this first epside was mistaken for a
Troughton show slated for execution, and pfft!

This also shows why we HAVE to write to keep the Doctor from being killed
off after the 23rd season (see NEW rumors of cancellation).  The Beeb is
STILL run by idiots who can turn gold into lead at the touch of a button.
They get 160,000 phone calls in ONE DAY and still think about dumping the
show??  (Is this figure accurate, or did the Sun print it?).  Anyway,
the Doctor still has 6 regenerations to go!!

Merlyn Leroy
"...a dimension between shallow and substance, between science and
superficial, a place we call...The Usenet Zone"