[net.tv.drwho] Doctor eggs

see1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (ellen keyne seebacher) (03/30/85)

Time for a new subject.  The cancellation/indefinite hold bit isn't
any fun.  So, I quote (with permission) from an e-mail discussion:

>> From: sphinx!see1 (ellen keyne seebacher)
>> Subject: Re: V10#97--Who's companions
>>
>> David Campbell, no???
>>
>>   ...interesting question:  Terrance Dicks has Susan bearing three
>> children by him.  Gallifreyan/human interfertility is even harder
>> to swallow than Vulcan/human, but I do have a theory or two aside
>> from T.D.'s general ignorance and Susan's (unlikely) human parent-
>> age.  Wouldn't the ultimate interference by a Time Lord be genetic
>> manipulation?  so that alien species could interbreed?
>>
>>   the possibilities are staggering.

From James C Armstrong's reply:

>Doctor Who, being a show meant for all ages, doesn't discuss potential sexual
>activities.  (For all we know, Time Lords lay eggs!)  A logical conclusion
>however would be some form of convergent evolution between worlds.  A humanoid
>shape must require 46 chromosomes composed of DNA, regardless of where it
>comes up in the universe.  Reproductive techniques must also logically
>follow.  We have seen that lesser species that evolved on different continents
>have been able to inter breed, why not intelligent life between worlds?
>
>Also, as for Time Lord interference in time, a Time Lord exists within
>time, and must therefore affect the course of time.  I submit that inter-
>ference only occurs when a *known* future is changed.  Otherwise, Time Lord
>actions are just a part of "history."  (Look at "Pyramids of Mars" again:
>When the Doctor takes Sarah back to UNIT HQ in the future, she sees that the
>Doctor's future actions (in her past) are required for her future to be.)
>When one's knowledge of the future is blind, then the changes cannot be
>changes, but shapings.
>
>On the same lines, in "Mark of the Rani" I must object to the Doctor des-
>cribing a scientist as "changing history" while putting in the disclaimer
>that he can't do that.  It is obvious that George ***(name forgotten) shaped
>Peri's future.
>
>James C Armstrong, Jnr.  ihnp4!abnji!nyssa

If anyone wants to get a net discussion going, please do.  Feel free to
pontificate (or flame) about Time Lord reproduction, the theory of time
interference or the physiology of Susan Foreman Campbell's children....

--
 ellen keyne seebacher           ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!see1
 univ of chicago comp center             (x9.xes@UChicago.Mailnet)

"I do have a motto.  I'm going to live
                     until I die, and never get the two confused."

jeff@mit-eddie.UUCP (Jeff Mattson) (04/02/85)

Acording to the Doctor Who Technical Manual (I'm not sure of the name, I
read a little of it quickly in a bookstore), Susan left with the Doctor
when he first left Gallifrey in disgust and is also a Gallifreyan.  I'd
like to see a story in which Susan goes back to Gallifrey, graduates
from the Time Lords Academy, and becomes a Time Lady.  (At least I THINK
that's how you become a Time Lady.  Any one out there know any better?)

			Don't dream it; BE IT!
			      Jeff Mattson
			     Jeff@MIT-Eddie
			  24 Westland Ave. #10
			    Boston, MA 02115

mgh@hou5h.UUCP (Marcus Hand) (04/04/85)

Nooooo....   you don't become a Time Lady, you become another Time Lord
(Romana was a Time Lord, remember.)
--
			Marcus Hand	(hou5h!mgh)

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (04/05/85)

> Nooooo....   you don't become a Time Lady, you become another Time Lord
> (Romana was a Time Lord, remember.)

Funny you should say this... in the novelisations, they called her a
Time Lady, and I myself always thought it incorrect to call her a
Time Lord, the way they did on the show, but...

                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus